New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Run away turkey!  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
Re: Run away turkey!
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 02:07:05 PM »
I have only aimed for the head.  -0078
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline DRT

• Spike
  • To Be or Not To Be, That's The Question!
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 12:59:04 PM »
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one with a run away Turkey!   @--0--0109
Love Life

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 06:59:58 AM »
First bird I ever shot....It hit the ground flapping then popped up and ran like the wind, tilting to one side...I sat in that blind several minutes listening and feeling sick to my stomach....Then deer hunting mode kicked in

Sit tight and wait...maybe it's laid up and bleeding to death don't push it....After 20 min I went in the direction it ran and started looking behind every bush and log...nothing....went back to the blind and started off due south and then circled around to get a different sight angle...I found him a hundred yards down the hill under some Mayapples...caught sight of a few wing feathers....one bead caught him in the lower neck

Offline DRT

• Spike
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 01:58:19 PM »
growalot, that awesome that you found him, we tried but to much woody area.
The place I hunt, the land owner said I would do better with a full choke tube instead of a turkey choke tube! I have to agree with a big pattern!
Love Life

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 08:21:55 PM »
One thing I have heard time and time again, and that is you need to pattern your turkey gun.  You need to know how the choke handles the ammo you're using.  Try different brands, or different shot sizes of the same brand.  Shoot at a turkey target from 40 yds away.  You should be getting 7 or 8 pellets in the kill zone.  Keep in mind that a pattern 24" in diameter at 40 yds is like the size of a softball at 10 yds.  I know it's not fun shooting those 3" mags at paper, but it will pay off in the long run.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Uncle Bucky

• Spike
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 10:23:44 PM »
My son did last  year, 27 yards, 3" #5 shell 20 gauge, bird flipped back and took off. Slow motioned the video and it sure looks like he nailed it, maybe a tad low, but all around the lower neck ?????? 
Beauty is in the eye of the "bow holder"

common sense, it isn't so common anymore

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2011, 10:54:01 PM »
Thanks ...It was pure luck I found him...a Jake...but I was using my browning 20 ga 3" with a modified choke.....Mr. B bought me a Mossburg 20ga turkey gun with screw in chokes after that...It's a turkey killing machine @--0--0137.... -0078....

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 11:17:53 AM »
Sorry he got away, DRT.  Gotta make that head and neck shot next time.  He won't go anywhere then.   -0078 
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline DRT

• Spike
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 04:00:11 PM »
Gotcha, I'm gone to make double sure I take my time and place the shot to the head and do a little more practicing 5114TX!
Love Life

New Page 3

Google Ad