talkhuntin.com
Thank you for visiting the TalkHunting Community. We encourage you to register and jump right in. Since membership is free, what do you have to lose? This is a place to learn, have fun, share your experiences and express ideas. As a member, you can add your own comments and topics, participate in the promotions and really enjoy all that TalkHunting has to offer.

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to view pictures or post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. Our members can register for monthly prize drawings, enter contests and share their knowledge and stories of this great sport with others. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

Don

Author Topic: Soaking Game in Milk?  (Read 13610 times)

Offline NotRite

• 2010 Aug. Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • 5lb-12oz Ky Spot Caught 5-06-12
Re: Soaking Game in Milk?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 03:20:42 PM »
I ALWAYS soak my deer meat in some kind of vinegar....usually apple cider vinegar.....it flat out takes the wild taste from it. My wife and kids would not eat enough to feed a bird until I started doing this. Ice and the vinegar and I am sure you will find this works well. I would think it would help/work with duck although we have never done as we all seem to like the duck just fine.
BASS member
K.I.S.S. member
(Keep It Simple Stupid)

Offline labedog

• Spike
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 07:23:06 PM »
Milk works to not only calm down the gamey taste but it also works as a tenderizer. Try buttermilk, it works good too.

Offline russcat

• TH Staff - Prize Team
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
  • R-I-P "Big John"
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 09:56:21 PM »
I ALWAYS soak my deer meat in some kind of vinegar....usually apple cider vinegar.....it flat out takes the wild taste from it. My wife and kids would not eat enough to feed a bird until I started doing this. Ice and the vinegar and I am sure you will find this works well. I would think it would help/work with duck although we have never done as we all seem to like the duck just fine.
Apple cider vinegar is one of the ingredients in my venison marinade. I've learned not to use too much though.  Just a little and it gives it just the right flavor.  Too much and it tastes like vinegar instead of venison. 

Now if it's a 7 year old buck I'm preparing I might rather taste the vinegar!   @--0--0105
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Offline Orthroad

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 09:35:51 AM »
I've never heard of doing this. I know you said to keep soaking until the milk isnt bloody anymore, but how long does that usually take. Our friends raise buffalo and always give us some, but to me it tastes real gamy, maybe I will give it a try.
Thanks for the info.
Dave

Offline saintdeer

• Spike
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 05:31:34 PM »
Here is the best marinade I have found. The whole idea is that the milk pulls out the wild and musky taste. The best way is to take 40% + Whole buttermilk and fresh rosemary, put in a foodsaver bag and suck all the air out. Place in the fridge for 48hrs at least. DO NOT ADD SALT OR WINE OR VINEGAR! Especially if you use a slow cooker as this will intensify the acid in the meat and can spoil it. I have had heated arguments with people about this, but I have been testing this recipe for years.
Now, I didnt say you cannot use wine or vinegar...i have done it in the past. But, for cooking purposes you add the wine toward the end. The vinegar is just not one of my favorite to be honest but some swear by it.
As soon as I kill a deer, on the way home I stop and get a gallon of the highest fat content buttermilk I can find, and luckily I get it at work! Os soon a the meat is cleaned it goes in the buttermilk. I also sometimes will put cumin, white pepper and cayenne in if making fajitas out of the skirt and flank. More of that later.
Enjy.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The Lord is my Shepherd I shall not want\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
NRA Member
Humanewatch.org
NAHC Member
Executive Chef 25+ years
Executive Chef Duke Diet and Fitness
Center
Team Leader- Backyard Bow Pro- Alamance County
Kraft Foods Advisory Panel Mem

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 08:37:03 AM »
Yeah Russ, it works on lots of different things.  I'll soak wild pork in buttermilk to remove the gamey taste.  It works very well.  I soak pork in salt water for about an hour, maybe two, then soak in buttermilk 6 hours.   Works very nicely on any dark meat.
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline foxhunter126

• Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Foxhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 09:33:11 AM »
I never use milk but I ALWAYS soak my game in cold water. It is the blood that taints the flavor and I have told many people about soaking venison in cold water for at least 20 minutes before you cook it. You will not believe the blood that comes out and some other things once in a while as well. (piece of hair, fat, etc.) Even though we debone and do our deer ourselves, we always soak it in cold water before we cook it.

I used to make as much as 250 lbs of venison sausage and always soaked all the cubed meat in a big plastic container before we ground it. Try it, you will be amazed!
Foxhunter
Eat,Sleep,Hunt
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Wild Turkey Federation

Region 8 Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)
Executive Committee NYS Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)

Offline NotRite

• 2010 Aug. Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 11:25:18 PM »
I've never really been crazy about the taste of duck. I love to hunt them but never much liked to eat them.  I have a couple of family friends I have always given all my duck breasts to. 

My duck hunting buddy has always felt the same until this year.  Someone told him to soak the breasts in milk.  When the milk gets bloody change out the milk and continue soaking it until it doesn't get bloody any more.  He tried it and called me raving about how good the duck was he prepared. 

Has anyone else ever tried this?  Will it work on other game to remove the gamey taste?  I wouldn't try it on a backstrap (not needed) but will it work on other game?

Might give apple vinegar a try too. Milk does help a great deal. Not just with duck, but deer and rabbit as well. I have used vinegar more than anything and my wife will attest to how much it helps. She used to never eat deer, well maybe some BBQ of it, but that was it. You cannot believe all the recipes and meals we do now. It can dang near turn the meat white. I have found that I like the apple vinegar with deer even better. Deer and apples go together very well. I do this with all of the meat I get from a deer, duck and rabbit.
BASS member
K.I.S.S. member
(Keep It Simple Stupid)

Offline sirrobbinhood

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • I love being in the woods!
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 12:15:30 AM »
Do you have to do this as soon as you process the deer?  Or can you do it when you pull it out of the freezer and let it thaw? 
"Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum"
"Stuff happens when you party naked"
NRA Patron Member
NAH Lifetime Member
Former Air Force Sniper 
Hunting and Fishing and loving every second of it!

Offline NotRite

• 2010 Aug. Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 08:47:04 PM »
Apple cider vinegar is one of the ingredients in my venison marinade. I've learned not to use too much though.  Just a little and it gives it just the right flavor.  Too much and it tastes like vinegar instead of venison. 

Now if it's a 7 year old buck I'm preparing I might rather taste the vinegar!   @--0--0105

Agreed about the 7yr old buck. Here is the marinade I use. I understand about the vinegar and using too much. It is not near as potent as sesame seed oil though....woooh. LOL
2 cloves garlic, minced

cup vinegar(apple)

cup soy sauce

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon sesame oil

cup water

Thoroughly blend all ingredients.   Cover venison steaks with marinade for at least 4 hours (overnight preferred) prior to cooking.  Turn steaks periodically, or add more marinade, to saturate.  Broil or grill steaks to your preference.  (Once again, apple-grilled steaks are terrific!)

BASS member
K.I.S.S. member
(Keep It Simple Stupid)

Offline saintdeer

• Spike
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2011, 08:18:49 AM »

Agreed about the 7yr old buck. Here is the marinade I use. I understand about the vinegar and using too much. It is not near as potent as sesame seed oil though....woooh. LOL
2 cloves garlic, minced

cup vinegar(apple)

cup soy sauce

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon sesame oil

cup water

Thoroughly blend all ingredients.   Cover venison steaks with marinade for at least 4 hours (overnight preferred) prior to cooking.  Turn steaks periodically, or add more marinade, to saturate.  Broil or grill steaks to your preference.  (Once again, apple-grilled steaks are terrific!)

if you notice, your recipe the vinegar is cut 1 to 1 with soy sauce. as long as that ratio stays the same it doesn't matter how much vinegar you use, you just have to make sure the ratio's are not thrown off. You can add some molasses to that recipe too or a bit of teriyaki sauce too, orange juice....anything sweet to cut the acidity.
Chef D
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The Lord is my Shepherd I shall not want\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
NRA Member
Humanewatch.org
NAHC Member
Executive Chef 25+ years
Executive Chef Duke Diet and Fitness
Center
Team Leader- Backyard Bow Pro- Alamance County
Kraft Foods Advisory Panel Mem

Offline Big Jake

• 10 Point
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2011, 09:10:35 AM »
I've done the milk thing with venison before.  But usually only on an older Ozarks buck that has been eating acorns his whole life.  Or if I am preparing venison for somebody who thinks they don't like venison I will do it to just to make sure that there is no gamey taste to them.   ##$%#1114

Offline NotRite

• 2010 Aug. Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2011, 01:54:33 AM »
Saintdeer....exactly...that's why I posted the recipe, just to show that it was not too much vinegar. Good thoughts about the molasses and oranges too. thanks
BASS member
K.I.S.S. member
(Keep It Simple Stupid)

Offline savagegal

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • 2 Timothy 1:7
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2011, 10:28:16 AM »
I have heard that if you freeze fish in milk as soon as they are caught that it will keep them 'fresher' tasting.
I have use the italian (zesty type) on duck breasts and I think it works great !
I use my own marinade or Allegro's on deer - if I use any at all, depends on who I'm cooking it for.
Orange juice is a good marinade/tenderizer too - I think it has to do with the acidity....
NRA member QDMA member
Team "Herbivore Eliminators" 2011

Offline gunner

• 6 Point
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2011, 10:56:32 AM »
Yes it also tenderizes the meat. Poeple also soak carp and catfish  in milk to get all the crud out.
GET-R-DONE

NAHC LIFE MEMBER
NRA MEMBER
BUCKMASTERS MEMBER

New Page 3

Fall Hunting Classic Online at Basspro.com