New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: COVER SCENTS  (Read 2142 times)

Offline BubbaBrown

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Life is good at The Deer Camp!
    • The Deer Camp
COVER SCENTS
« on: July 13, 2008, 06:00:19 PM »
In the late '70s when I first discovered cover scents, I thought I'd try a skunk cover scent. I was on a stand in a large creek bottom. I put out a little scent out on three stumps. One to my front and one one each side. By 7:30 AM, I was so sick to my stomach, that I had to go back to the camp. I threw the bottle of skunk scent down a stump hole.
Semi-Retired & Over the Hill

2009 TalkHunting Sportsman of the Year
www.thedeercamp.com
2009 TALK HUNTING WILD GAME COOK-OFF CHAMPION
Cpl. USMC 1970-1972, MOS 6064, Parachute Rigger

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
Re: COVER SCENTS
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 10:19:12 PM »
I spilled some in my car when i was a kid..... real bad move... :P
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline tenpnt

• 4 Point
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 11:16:46 PM »
i used skunk scent a lot in the 80s but if you think about it a skunk spray when danger is around and deer might associate that smell with danger.
I think the best cover scent is no scent at all. Scent-lok and scent killers!! It is fun to watch bucks come to doe in heat when doing a drag rag setup

Offline always hunting

• Button Buck
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 01:34:44 AM »
Bowhunters  Fatal Obsession is the best cover / deer Attractant I have ever found I've used it for the past 6 years You can not believe the things I've seen deer do when they come in contact with it and it's always positive.You can use it all season long . Good Hunting Guys
HUNTTILLUDROP

Offline Whitetail54

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • All it Takes is a Tree Stand and a Dream !!
    • Raleigh, NC  Area Homes
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 08:25:50 PM »
I have found that you need to know your area before using a cover scent.  For example, where I hunt here in NC, I see a lot of foxes so use fox urine as a cover, especially in the early season when its really warm and I have a tendancy to sweat.  Up in PA, I tended to use  the natural earth products or something apple based. 

I also take that shower and use the no scent deoderants and sprays before going out plus take most of my clothing in a orderfree bag to put on when I arrive. 
Hunting for more than 40 years now
Member of Team TURF ONE

If you are 50 or over and have not yet had a colonoscopy...DO IT!!!  It saved my life!!

New Page 3

Google Ad