New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Hunting deer with use of dogs  (Read 4318 times)

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • taken around time HG and I were married
Re: Hunting deer with use of dogs
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2011, 01:20:51 PM »
I never hunted deer with dogs, but would like to try it some time with slow running dogs.
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline NIMROD

• Sept. 2010 Prize Winner
  • 4 Point
  • work at nothing all day
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2011, 03:08:45 PM »
 Nothing sporting the way most do it here. They chase deer with packs of dogs radio collered to track the race relaying direction with marine band radios. Then an army of yahoos on ATVs and trucks try to head off through the woods and on the roads. Looks like they are headed to a fire and slow down or stop at crossing locations to blast anything that crosses their path.  ##$%#113  Even with still hunters in the woods and non hunters traveling the roads. Some even shoot off black top highways that our school buses and mail carriers run. Sometimes it sounds like a small war with shotguns with buck shot and high powered rifles blaze'n! Never even bothering to get off the road or out of their vehicle. --7-8-9  We have a 3 point rule here (min 3 points on one side of rack), how can you count points on a buck jumpin the road? Road hunting is illegal. Alot of these slobs dump dogs on private posted land or even handi-capped only hunting areas to run them out. They laugh and say dogs can't read posted signs. ##$%#1113 No telling how many deer run off crippled with shotgun pellets in them. They say dog running is a tradition. It might have been but they need to respect still hunters, laws,and private landowner rights. No to mention their fore fathers did not use motorized vehicles , tracking collars, and radios. Woods were not crowded with hunters either. Public lands should be for the public, not a bunch of yahoos tear'n up the woods ruining everyone elses hunt.
Work is for those who don't hunt and fish

Offline Arrowhead

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2011, 09:02:01 PM »
Nimrod, you could not have said it better! That is exactly how the do it in VA and claim it's tradition...... Next season I will take pictures of the paved road in front of my property and show everyone the road hunters.... Last year i came down the road a a guy was sitting on a bucket that was on the white shoulder line, I had to go across the double yellow line to keep from hitting him.....

Offline labedog

• Spike
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2011, 11:21:32 AM »
Can't see the sport in using dogs to hunt deer. I've never done it but I can assume hat it's like using dogs to hunt phasants, squirrels, quail, grouse, pigs, etc., etc., etc.
Can't we all just get along?

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2011, 04:43:57 PM »
Well Nimrod and Arroehead you guys need to call the law when this happens, don't you think do sonmething about it if it is illegal. I can tell you that I have hunted with my wife's family in King George Va. and NONE of that happen at all not even close-- we lined up some standers on legal hunting ground and then 1 or 2 guys walked the dogs maybe 5 or 6 beagles and short legged bird dogs an dthey drive the patch-- it ia so thick down there around the river and steep that it is unsafe for a human to try and drive it. Sounds like you guys got a bunch of lawless yahoos and you need to call them in. JMO
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline ManMountain

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2011, 01:02:32 AM »
I will go along with those that say if it is legal in your area and it is done right and you enjoy it, then go for it. Personally though it isn't for me. I have hunted behind dogs for birds and rabbits and enjoy that but the dogs and hunters stay pretty close together on those hunts. When I'm in the deer woods I like my peace and quiet and don't want to hear a bunch of dogs yapping. My family would not keep a dog that chased deer or our livestock. I have had issues with neighbors who refuse to keep their pets fenced in their yards and just let them run. I say pets because on any given day when driving down one of our country roads you can see cats prowling the fields and ditches. They do a lot of damage to the game bird and rabbit populations that I try to support habitat for. Seeing a dog chasing deer (especially does in spring time) really sets me off. And as I've mentioned on previous posts, I now get to listen to wolves and yotes every morning and evening when I go to my cabin for deer season.  It's like having every dog in the county running loose, with no one being responsible for the damage they cause. You don't see many deer when they're in the area. @--0--0117   
I've had the huntin bug for 49 years now.

Offline JKLB

• 4 Point
  • Have you thanked God today?
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2011, 05:00:56 AM »
Hunting with dogs is how I was introduced to hunting at about 4 years old.  I remember going on Saturday mornings with my dad and uncles.  We made it a great success and always hunted with respect for the land owners.  Back then it was as easy as stopping in at someones house and asking for permission to hunt their property.  The answer was just about always yes.  We would offer them some meat in return.  There were many good bucks killed over the years.  I killed my first deer in front of dogs when I was 7.  But I guess all good things come to an end.  We ended up loosing hunting priveledges on alot of land due to other people dropping dogs off and trespassing on whatever they land they wanted to hunt.  Before long we had all joined hunting clubs and gave up dog hunting.  I still love to hear a good run, but only if it is done right. 
And also all the late nights we spent looking for a lost dog or two.  It could be aggravating, but it's not the dogs fault.  Over the years it is really sad to see dogs that were just left out to survive by themselves.  You gotta know the land too that you are hunting when hunting with dogs.  Living in an area where this went on is another reason why people look down to dog hunting.

NRA Life Member
26 years hunting experience
Roll Tide

Offline capttrae

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • Mag Staff Writer
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2011, 12:29:03 PM »
I rember that deer, u had shot yours n I had shot my first one on the same day. That was a long time ago

Offline JKLB

• 4 Point
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2011, 06:25:52 PM »
I bet your deer was probably a bit bigger than mine.  But the first deer doesn't have to meet much criteria

NRA Life Member
Roll Tide

Offline Backdraft94

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • The future of hunting
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2011, 08:43:08 PM »
This is a sore subject here in VA. I personally hunt with dogs. And yes my dogs DO wear tracking collars, but thats so I can find them after the hunt! I also do everything in my power to try and keep my dogs on My property. Dont get me wrong I'm happy if someone else gets a deer in front of my dogs, especially since that normally stops the dogs and makes it easier for me to get them back. But it doesnt do me any good to have my dogs running deer off my property. Anyone that feels hunting with dogs is unsporting, is more than welcome to attempt to man drive the briar thickets on my property, I'll warn ya now bring a couple of units of blood cause your gonna need em when you get to the other side especially since you have to somehow move fast or all the deer will do is circle you in the thicket. also dont bother bringing a gun on the drive you wont be able to use it even if the deer jumps 5 feet in front of you. I promise you my beagles will drive the thicket alot better than you can. And for the most part except for some of the young bucks most of the big bucks know to just run a circle to get the dogs off them, just like a rabbit only a bigger circle. I have had the occasional deer make a long run of a couple miles, but more often than not what happens is the dogs lose the trail and get off on another deer. Alot more deer get jumped and get away scot free on drives than get harvested. In the best case the dogs keep the deer stirred up and walking for most of the day, kinda like how the clueless folks that wander around public hunting land do.

For those who have never tried hunting deer with dogs give it a try before you make up your mind, there is just as much scouting, planning and luck involved in it as there is still hunting. Just because you turn a pack of dogs loose in a thicket doesnt mean your gonna even see a deer, but it sure is sweet to listen to them work!

@ arrowhead > check your local laws road hunting IS legal in some VA counties. If it's illegal in your county call the gamewarden. But I will respectfully point out to you that VA's right to retrieve laws have been on the books for over a century, unarmed dog owners DO have the LEGAL right to enter posted property on foot to retrieve lost dogs. Thats the law, and in my mind blocking them for doing that is no different than spotlighting, and can in fact lead to YOU getting a ticket from the game warden. Try to remember not all dog hunters are slobs just like not all hunters are slobs.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 08:53:03 PM by Backdraft94 »
Tanner Ridge Hunt Club
"When the tailgate drops, The playin stops!!!!"
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Lousy Hunter!!!!
Member of 4 BigBucks
2nd place 2010 TH Deer Championship

Offline Backdraft94

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • The future of hunting
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2011, 08:44:03 PM »
I bet your deer was probably a bit bigger than mine.  But the first deer doesn't have to meet much criteria
Very true your first deer is ALWAYS a trophy!
Tanner Ridge Hunt Club
"When the tailgate drops, The playin stops!!!!"
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Lousy Hunter!!!!
Member of 4 BigBucks
2nd place 2010 TH Deer Championship

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
Well put Backdraft I agree all the way around Thanks!!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2011, 10:59:06 AM »
Oh and if someone takes you up on the man drive deal please please PM me so I can watch and film this daring individual Because from what I saw on the bunny hunt they will have no friends in your thicket and I may get some amusement out of watching and listening to them attempt the drive!!!  --099-780
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline 270mag

• 6 Point
  • I run a small hunting club in Wilcox County Ala
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2011, 09:10:32 PM »
  Sorry to "anyone" I might have offended by my comments, using dog's to hunt rabbits or game birds such as pheasant is one thing, but have a problem using dog's to deer hunt. Did'nt mean to strike a nerve or ruffle any feathers with anyone who use's dogs to deer hunt, it's just not for me is all... Got ALOT of responce's on this matter, have to watch what I post from now on.

Offline JKLB

• 4 Point
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2011, 03:17:53 AM »
270mag,
I think the people that hunt with dogs in a respectful manner understand where you are coming from.  I feel bad for the good sportsman like hunters that take care of their dogs and try to keep there dogs on land that they are allowed to hunt.  It's the one's that do not hunt in an ethical manner that has slapped the bad label on the rest of the respectful guys.  We have plenty of guys around our area that believe if their dogs go onto any other land then they are "permitted" to follow suit...of course I mean for the purpose of hunting not to retieve the dogs.  And of course we have the one's like Capt Trae mentioned that literally ride the dirt road and look for tracks, then turn the pack out and trespass time after time. 

I do miss the sound of some good dogs on a deer, but unfortunately all of us around my area that hunted the right way were branded with that label so it just kinda faded out. 

NRA Life Member
Roll Tide

New Page 3

Google Ad