New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Re: Lures and cover scents  (Read 1107 times)

Offline 270mag

• 6 Point
  • I run a small hunting club in Wilcox County Ala
Re: Lures and cover scents
« on: December 20, 2010, 05:57:35 PM »
 The best cover scent I've found is Deer Dander made by team fitzgerald,this is without a doubt the best you'll ever use..Lets be real folks, theres no such animal as being "scent free", so why not smell like the game your hunting (Deer).. I swear this stuff smells just like a deer and I'm yet to get busted using it. Deer dander is hard to find, the only place I can find it is Cabelas,and most of the time its back ordered..At $14.99 for a bottle of it, its money well spent. Sure I've used all the others but just cause it costs more dos'nt mean its any better. My choice of scent lures is Primetime premium doe estrus and doe urine, I also use their dominant buck urine..All come in a 2oz spray bottle which I like very much...And only costs $5.99 each..I've used this product for a number of years now and have seen first hand it indeed works.  I used these back in 2007 during an Illinois bow hunting trip and witnessed a doe go right to a scent wick I had hanging out in front of me..She put her nose right on it,and started nibbling on leaves of a bush right next to it..The deer dander comes in a 4oz spray bottle and both being spray bottles makes them easy to use without the risk of leaving human scent on your wicks..I'll also use these scents on my drag rag walking to and from my stands..As for lures: I use just one: Wildlife active scrape w/dripper.. Again this stuff works and at only $14.99 for a 4oz bottle it goe's a long way..I'm sure you've all seen that doe pee at $25-$35 a bottle, do you "really" think its any better then all the others?  If so you must also believe there is a tooth fairy or santa claus.. The key to using any lure or scent is how its presented to the deer on your property..Its got to be as natural as it can be,and not so over-bearing to put them on high alert.. Heck I do alot of things wrong, I'm a smoker and yes I smoke in my stand, so Ineed such things to off-set the bad things...I can't tell you how many times I had to put the cigarette down to shoot a deer..Yes I've been busted because of my smoking,and theres no doubt 100's of deer I never saw because of my smoking, well so be it...I've yet to go a season without putting deer in my freezers..I'm telling you these scents and lures I've used "work"...Good luck to ya'll..Hunt hard, hunt smart, and hunt safe...

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 06:04:57 PM »
try mike's magic it is the real stuff
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline Danny

• 4 Point
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 07:07:32 PM »
Thank you for the info I'll see if can get some ordered.I'm always looking for something that works.
US ARMY veteran 1980-1994 SSG. Food Service 
Average Hunter
Fly Fisherman and Self-Employed Fly Tier
Member of Johnson Co. Hunters Assn.
Member of FFA

Offline Possum

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Re: Lures and cover scents
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 07:41:02 PM »
Thank you for the info I'll see if can get some ordered.I'm always looking for something that works.

Mikes Magic Doe in "E" worked well for me Sunday Morning...
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline capttrae

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • Mag Staff Writer
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 08:33:26 PM »
im goin to try and order some of mikes magic and try it out when i get home, also thought about trying some of that border crossing scents stuff also.

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 09:05:08 PM »
I won't trqade my Mike's Magic for anything...its worked both years I've used it @--0--0118
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline Soft plastic guru

• 12 Point
  • I go catching not fishing!! FISH ON!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 08:01:14 AM »
ive been looking for deer dander and now i know where to get it but being that i won some mikes magic and tried some of my dads this year i will be ordering my doe E and buck urine from mike but thanks for the info
Hunt hard and take kids fishing!!!

Offline spider005

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 06:54:10 AM »
I tried the herd in a stick but nobody was home.

Offline BenDC

• Fawn
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 08:33:23 PM »
For the perfect cover scent and attractant bar none is Shines white oak acorn scent made in Chelsea, Alabama and you can buy it in Chelsea at Ruff and Tuff outdoors on hwy 280.   %^$^
If you can find it you can kill it.

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 08:39:32 PM »
If your looking for the best deer lure out there Mikes Magic is what your looking for!!!

NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline BennyB

• Fawn
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 05:14:37 PM »
I'm a late comer here, but I use Anise oil, from the spice rack at Wally-World. I've used it better'n 20 years, and it's great as a drag, dripped around the stand or on sponge pieces hung around. Put it in a little spray bottle and squirt around every once in while-you can check wind direction, cover your own odor, and tell them to come in, too. 
My brother-in-law uses vanilla, same source, and we've both had deer walk right up to our stands with their nose to the ground.
PB and molasses is great, too, as a bait-you can always dig out a snack it nothing's going on! I've screwed the jar lid to a tree, screwed it back on, and cut the bottom out-have to watch squirrels, though, they'll steal it quick.

Offline mouseman722000

• Fawn
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 07:44:51 PM »
Someone told me that bleach attracts deer so I dug up a small spot and poured a gallon of regular bleach on the loose dirt and put out my trail cam. I went back 4 days later and there was 197 pics. On my camera. The deer went nuts and dug up the entire area where I put it out. I thought the guy was nuts but it really works well! Has anyone else ever tried this or even heard of this? I have a pic of the spot where I done this and they have really tore it up.

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 08:09:27 PM »
Someone told me that bleach attracts deer so I dug up a small spot and poured a gallon of regular bleach on the loose dirt and put out my trail cam. I went back 4 days later and there was 197 pics. On my camera. The deer went nuts and dug up the entire area where I put it out. I thought the guy was nuts but it really works well! Has anyone else ever tried this or even heard of this? I have a pic of the spot where I done this and they have really tore it up.
That's a new one on me. Thats interesting. I'm not sure it's good for the health of the deer though.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 08:14:33 AM »

That's a new one on me.

PB and molasses is great, too, as a bait-you can always dig out a snack it nothing's going on! I've screwed the jar lid to a tree, screwed it back on, and cut the bottom out-have to watch squirrels, though, they'll steal it quick.

I tried the PB jar on a tree trick a couple years ago.  The deer never touched, I think I may have mounted it too high,  it but I got some video if a pine martin enjoying the heck out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCOGM1z_epI

If nothing else it kept me entertained for hours while hunting that blind.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 05:59:40 PM »
I never heard that one before.  I would not think it would be good for the deer however
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

New Page 3

Google Ad