talkhuntin.com
Thank you for visiting the TalkHunting Community. We encourage you to register and jump right in. Since membership is free, what do you have to lose? This is a place to learn, have fun, share your experiences and express ideas. As a member, you can add your own comments and topics, participate in the promotions and really enjoy all that TalkHunting has to offer.

Don
Bass Pro Shops

Author Topic: Blackened Venison Steak  (Read 1207 times)

Offline cowmanhunter

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Blackened Venison Steak
« on: December 15, 2010, 03:47:40 PM »
Blackened Venison Steak by Mr. Jam

I want to start by saying that I feed my family venison at least 3 times a week. I have prepared this meal only twice and it has been delicious both times. (most popular request already). I process my own deer, basically de-bone and cut into pieces and freeze. I'm always looking for ways to cook shoulder pieces and hind quarter pieces and this recipe takes the cake. I found it in the Feb. 2009 F&S magazine. I feel like it worth sharing.

four 8-0z venison steaks, about 1/2" thick
1/2 cup of dry red wine
1/2 cup cane syrup (recommended: Steen's Pure Cane Syrup)
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
4 tsp. Creole seasoning, such as Tony Chachere's or Emeril's
4 tsp. vegetable oil

1. Combine the wine and cane syrup in a small saucepan. simmer gently until reduced by two-thirds, about 18 minutes. remove from the heat and stir in pepper.

2. Pat the venison steaks dry with a kitchen towel (paper towels will stick). Sprinkle the Creole seasoning on both sides.

3. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until it is very hot and just smoking, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the oil, swirling to coat the bottom of the skillet. Once the oil is hot, sear the steaks until dark brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the meat over, reduce heat to medium, and sear for 3 to 4 minutes for medium-rare.

4. Transfer the steaks to a platter and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve them drizzled with the sauce.

I serve the steaks with mashed turnips that complement the meat well.(recipe also in F&S)

HINT: The second time I seared the steak I did it outside on the burner on my grill. It produces a lot of smoke and the vent-a-hood in my house is not that great.
CMH
32 years hunting experiece and learning daily.
If Your Gonna Be Stupid You Gotta Be Tough.
If you find yourself in a hole, The first thing you do is stop digging.
Phill. 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice!

New Page 3

Fall Hunting Classic Online at Basspro.com