New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: I want to hunt for Merriams turkeys  (Read 558 times)

Offline grandriver

• Fawn
I want to hunt for Merriams turkeys
« on: September 30, 2008, 10:02:06 AM »
I was wondering if anyone had some info on where I could hunt for Merriams next spring. I would hunt public,private, swap a hunt for an eastern on my land in Iowa, or pay an outfitter. I've done the usual internet searches and found lot of (expensive) outfitters but want to talk to someone who has actually hunted for them ......Wyoming, Montana,South Dakota, New Mexico...where should I go? thanks in advance.

Offline dag1980

• 4 Point
Re: I want to hunt for Merriams turkeys
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 02:48:38 PM »
Black Hills has Merriams along with great scenery. Even into NE Wyoming you'll find them int he black hills too.

Offline Turkey_Addict

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
Re: I want to hunt for Merriams turkeys
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 11:35:13 PM »
I was fortunate enough to go on my first Merriam's hunt this spring. I used Big Buck Outfitters in Sheridan Wyoming. They have a website just add .com to the nale.
I went with a dear friend of mine. We went on May 1st. It was around 29 degrees with snow blowing like crazy. There were 3 and 4 foot drifts on the roads and part of the interstate was closed.
I knew we were out of luck; however, our guide, Herb, knew otherwise.
By 8:00am we were seeing birds. At 1:20pm I killed my first Merriams and my buddy had his in the truck by 2:oopm.
I couldn't believe it. We were planning on hunting for a second bird in Montana but the outfitter was unable to get the red tape cut in Montana for 2008.
We had a grand time. The lodging was awesome as well as the food. I would go again.
I am in South Carolina on vacation at the moment. If you would like more details, I can send you phone numbers and the names of some other guys in camp while I was there.
It was my first guided hunt and I could not have been happier.
Our guide, Herb, said he has never let anyone go home empty handed. He worked really hard to make sure we got on a shooter longbeard.

New Page 3

Google Ad