talkhuntin.com

New Page 3

Thank you for visiting the TalkHunting Community. We encourage you to register and jump right in. Since membership is free, what do you have to lose? This is a place to learn, have fun, share your experiences and express ideas. As a guest, you can read all of the topics. As a member, you can add your own comments and topics and really enjoy all that TalkHunting has to offer. Click here for tips on how to join and participate. This website is best viewed at 1280 X 700 or higher resolution.

If you enjoy TalkHunting and would like to support us, one of the best ways you can do this is by visiting our sponsors. If you want to purchase anything from one of our sponsors or just want to visit their website, we ask that you come here first and use the links here. This will let them know that TalkHunting is a great place to advertise. Each time you visit our sponsors, you are supporting TalkHunting!

Don
Bass Pro Shops

Author Topic: IBO speed?  (Read 8607 times)

Offline BOW HUNTER

• 7 Point
IBO speed?
« on: July 12, 2008, 04:06:16 PM »
 What does it mean? I have a Bear "Truth" bow with an advertised IBO speed of 300 something. It's rated for 70 lbs and I somehow have it cranked to 74lbs. I shoot a 30 inch carbon but am getting around 260 FPS. Not that I need any extra speed I shoot accurately with this setup, just wondering how they get there numbers.
N. Hoffmann, Racine,WI

Offline curs1

• 12 Point
Re: IBO speed?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 05:08:18 PM »
The numbers are based  on a  350 grain arrow at 70 pounds   30 inch draw length

Offline bowhuntersrave

• Button Buck
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 05:27:55 PM »
CURS is correct, but also remember not all bows shoot the same
www.bowhuntersrave.com
Preserving our bowhunting heritage

Offline BOW HUNTER

• 7 Point
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 06:33:53 PM »
Thanks guys.
N. Hoffmann, Racine,WI

Offline broadhead20

• 6 Point
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 08:39:37 AM »
It is as close to impossible as anything to get the full speed out of a bow. When they test them, just like they said above, it is with a 350 grain arrow at 70 lbs with a 30 inch draw. The bow is shot by a machine, and there are no accessories on the bow. When you start talking about hunting setups, most people shoot a 29 inch draw, which takes atleast 10-15 fps off the top. Then by the time you have added a peep, silencers, loop or nock to the string you have slowed it down even more. I shoot a PSE X-Force, rated at 348 fps. I have a 29 inch draw, shoot a 375 grain arrow, and with the peep and loop on the string (I currently do not have string silencers) I shoot around 320 fps, which is still smoking. The point is, no matter what the bow is rated, you can bank on losing plus or minus 30 fps with your hunting set up.

When all of life's stress and worries gets you down, just think about your next hunt!!!

Offline DEERSLAYER

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 10:55:06 PM »
I wish manufacturers would go back to the AMO rating wich is more realistic. I never liked the change to the IBO way of rating them. It was just a way to sell more bows by making them appear to be a much higher performance bow than their competitor. It worked so eventually all the manufacturers had to replace AMO with IBO to compete.

Offline wildman

• 6 Point
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 10:24:07 AM »
what exactly does AMO and IBO stand for?

Offline DEERSLAYER

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 10:52:21 AM »
If I remember right AMO stands for the Archery Manufacturers Association and IBO is the International Bowhunters Organization.

Offline wildman

• 6 Point
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 10:59:51 AM »
thanks, I had no clue

Offline DEERSLAYER

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 02:17:42 PM »
"I had no clue"

I seem to have that problem more and more as I get older.  ;D :o