New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Pics from the new lease in NW TX  (Read 2981 times)

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
Re: Pics from the new lease in NW TX
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2010, 06:36:54 AM »
Great pictures, thanks for sharing. Good luck with the hunting.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline shambones

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2010, 04:59:54 PM »
After deer hunting in South Texas, I was all set to buy a feeder and set it up back home.  Then the DNR banned all feeding and baiting in my part of Michigan.  What a bummer.  You have got some nice looking bucks there.  I wish you the best of luck, and am already looking forward to those pics.

That's too bad on the feeders Louie. Out in west tx the deer are so trained to come to them. The momma does lead their fawns to them from birth so all the deer not only recognize the sound a feeder makes when it goes off they also recognize them visually.  THey can spot one from several hundred yards away.  I don't use feeders here at my lease in Fannin County.  But out west it's a neat change.  I've hunted out west only a couple of times in my life. Now I have a lease there which is great.  It's neat to see them deer just appear when the feeder goes off.  I enjoy watching them and the feeder is a great way to do that.  But just like in most areas, the wiley old mature bucks primarily feed at night.  It's amazing how smart they are.  On our last trip out there there was a shooter buck at Jim's feeder at 6:22 am.  Jim was sitting in his blind and saw the flash from the camera.  10 minutes later when it was light enough to see there was nothing there.  He was 10 minutes away from a nice 11 pointer that would have been his best deer ever.  See below for Jim's dissappearing buck.

All the pics have us very excited.  We'll be back out there Dec. 2-5.  I hope I can share a pic or two holding some antlers next time.

Sheesh, that is another nice buck.  I go up to my place this weekend and we will see what was running around.  Hopefully I dont see any trespassers/poachers on there.  Caught a guy 2 weeks ago on my game camera.  I think I may have to get some cheaper cameras then my Reconyx although I am absolutely amazed at how good their customer service is when I had to get my camera fixed.

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2010, 09:54:01 PM »
Hey shambone I just noticed on your profile you live in MN and have land in WI. If you are condsidering leasing the land you might think about talking to the local farmers, church, etc and find someone in that area to lease it to.  Someone trustworthy and who can help you watch over it.  Wouldn't hurt to buy the game warden lunch too.  Some of the game wardens, policemen, highway patrols, like to hunt too and they all would likely be good candidates to help you especially if you are having poaching problems.  If you are reluctant on leasing to someone you don't know a trade out with the local game warden for hunting priviledges may be a good way to go.  Just a thought.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline shambones

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2010, 03:48:16 PM »
Hey shambone I just noticed on your profile you live in MN and have land in WI. If you are condsidering leasing the land you might think about talking to the local farmers, church, etc and find someone in that area to lease it to.  Someone trustworthy and who can help you watch over it.  Wouldn't hurt to buy the game warden lunch too.  Some of the game wardens, policemen, highway patrols, like to hunt too and they all would likely be good candidates to help you especially if you are having poaching problems.  If you are reluctant on leasing to someone you don't know a trade out with the local game warden for hunting priviledges may be a good way to go.  Just a thought.

Thanks for the ideas Russcat.  I am not sure what I am going to do.  Hunting season (rifle) started 2 weeks ago and since that time I have not seen one buck when I was seeing about 8-10.  Still got alot of does though.  I just wonder if the bucks went into hiding again or they were bagged.  Slowly but surely, I am trying to make a place where they will want to stay and not wonder so much. 

I dont have a lot of problems with leasing to someone I dont know but my wife actually hates the idea.  She is the one I have to convince the most.

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2010, 03:51:01 PM »
Looks like you have some great bucks out there
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline ameshell

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • 12.86lb Baby!
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2010, 06:21:02 AM »
 @--0--0123 That's an awesome looking buck! I love the split brow tines!
Team "Big 10"
Team 3 Rack Addicts
Texas Peace Officer
Served in the US Navy

Offline russcat

• 14 Point
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2010, 10:49:24 PM »
@--0--0123 That's an awesome looking buck! I love the split brow tines!
Ya me too ameshell.  I don't know if I like split brows or drop tines better.  I'd go for both!
We're leaving tomorrow for the lease.  I think when we get there I'll pull the memory cards and disable the feeder cams while we're there hunting.  I got to thinking, that flash may have run off that 6:22 am buck at Jim's feeder. I'll check back in Sunday night and hopefully have some good pics and stories to share.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

-Joshua Crutchield

Offline Copperhead

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • ...wasting my day at work when I could be huntin'.
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2010, 08:32:05 AM »
OH MY!  That's got to be encouraging.
NRA Member
NAHC Member
Whitetail Fanatic
Crimson Tide Fan \\\\\\\"Roll Tide Roll!\\\\\\\"
Team Southern Boys

Offline Danny

• 4 Point
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2010, 04:06:49 PM »
Those are some awsome looking bucks Russcat  @--0--0101 --09--0 and post some pics when you harvest one. ##$%#112
US ARMY veteran 1980-1994 SSG. Food Service 
Average Hunter
Fly Fisherman and Self-Employed Fly Tier
Member of Johnson Co. Hunters Assn.
Member of FFA

Offline russcat

• 14 Point
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2010, 09:51:31 PM »
Nothing good to report.  Got there Thursday afternoon and waited until after dark to set up my blind and pull the memory cards.  Feeders have been going steady with no corn on the ground.  Got back to the cabin and immediately checked the memory cards.  2 cameras on 2 feeders had over 2000 pics over the last 3 weeks. This time we had more daytime pics. All the bucks from before are still coming in with a couple new nice ones.  We are stoked and can't wait to get out there Friday morning.
1 6 pt seen Friday morning. No deer seen Friday evening or Saturday morning.  1 small buck at dusk Saturday evening. 4 doe showed up Sunday morning at Jim's stand.  He shot one doe.  That is all we saw combined.  Again, all the movement was at night.  We just can't catch a break yet.  Still some time left in the season though.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

-Joshua Crutchield

Offline savagegal

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • 2 Timothy 1:7
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
And I quote, "Still some time left in the season though."
It's not DQ but "that's what I love about Texas" - we still have time, don't give up.
It was just not good hunting last weekend, too warm Sat. and the does aren't 'in' right now from what I can tell. I think all the bucks are holding back....
NRA member QDMA member
Team "Herbivore Eliminators" 2011

Offline mainecatfan

• 4 Point
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2010, 02:55:09 PM »
Good Luck, looks like some fun.

Offline Soft plastic guru

• 12 Point
  • I go catching not fishing!! FISH ON!!!
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2010, 12:01:37 PM »
if u need any help with herd management just give me a call. PA is only a short flight away --099-780
Hunt hard and take kids fishing!!!

New Page 3

Google Ad