New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Estrus attractant  (Read 610 times)

Offline gabby1to1

• Fawn
Estrus attractant
« on: September 26, 2008, 05:42:37 PM »
How early have you successfully used it. I have used it in early November but afraid to try any earlier.

Offline BubbaBrown

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Life is good at The Deer Camp!
    • The Deer Camp
Re: Estrus attractant
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 05:46:41 PM »
Some does will come in to heat early. Not all of them will wait until the advertised rut dates. Try it early, I don't think that the bucks will mind. It might work, you never know.
Semi-Retired & Over the Hill

2009 TalkHunting Sportsman of the Year
www.thedeercamp.com
2009 TALK HUNTING WILD GAME COOK-OFF CHAMPION
Cpl. USMC 1970-1972, MOS 6064, Parachute Rigger

Offline mossy oak

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 06:26:36 PM »
I think the problem with estrus attractants is using too much too early. I know an old hunter on a strict budget that only uses a Q tip, dips it, hangs it on a fence and kills good bucks every year. He says only a drop gets their attention better than pouring a whole bottle on the ground. I know i'm cutting way back this year and getting back to the old school of hunting before all this crazy junk came on the market!

Offline swgahunter

• 2008 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
    • drop zone outdoors
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 12:48:06 AM »
I know i'm cutting way back this year and getting back to the old school of hunting before all this crazy junk came on the market!

amen to that mo
living la vida qdm
when in doubt -- don't shoot

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 01:09:24 AM »
I think the problem with estrus attractants is using too much too early. I know an old hunter on a strict budget that only uses a Q tip, dips it, hangs it on a fence and kills good bucks every year. He says only a drop gets their attention better than pouring a whole bottle on the ground. I know i'm cutting way back this year and getting back to the old school of hunting before all this crazy junk came on the market!
I second that you don't have to fill the woods with it . @--0--0125
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline hawghunter65

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 12:12:39 PM »
had better luck with James valley scents "wallhanger"  and "lethal weapon" both gels which are a buck and doe scent and buck lure than plain estrus scent.  i agree, a unscented cue tip or small branch(use a clothes pin to hold them on branches) is plenty for a bucks nose which has about 300x the strength of ours and up to 13 separate odors to sort out and locate at the same time. i usually place one at 10 and 20 yards for distance markers (in a shooting lane) and its thick where i hunt anyway (plus i can take the scent tips with me and throw away later, (put in ziploc bag) doesn't condition them to that scent). remember to place them upwind and to the side of the main trail and direction you expect him to come from as it will give you a broadside shot and time maybe to look him over as he approaches.  even if its a big buck quartering downwind crosswind and he's on top of you he'll hit them, possibly stop and turn giving you a quartering shot.  love it for funnel hunting between bedding areas.  remember also, he'll be in the downwind thick stuff of the funnel usually so use those crosswind setups to beat that nose.
Brad Gordon, Staff Writer TH
52 years of chasing fur and feathers
NRA member
Past member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Member National Wild Turkey Federation
WTI user, grower, and believer
Matthew's bows
"Bone Collector" Team Member

New Page 3

Google Ad