New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Bearded Hen...  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Duane72

• 14 Point Droptine
Bearded Hen...
« on: August 21, 2010, 08:11:28 AM »
Saw my first ever bearded hen the other day when I checked the camera. Not physically, but got video of her on camera. I thought "not a bad tom" when I first opened the video, but then noticed the grass moving around her and out pops a poult! Made me take a second look and sure enough, he's a she!! Pretty neat.
USAF Veteran
Bow, Shotgun, & Muzzleloader Hunter
Acts 10:13 "...Get up, Peter, kill and eat!"
Proverbs 12:27 "...the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt."

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • one cold day
Re: Bearded Hen...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 10:14:42 AM »
they are bearded at times........thats great to see one,.....its not a common thing @--0--0118
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline 3 beard

• 4 Point
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 11:53:07 AM »
Click on the internet and research bearded hens and you''ll be surprised at all the info available. Most hens have one beard but on ocassion two beards. Two years ago I shot a real oddity when I harvested a hen with three beards. You just never know whats out there in the wild but tree cams are recording interesting things everyday.

Offline Bone Collector

• 2010 Nov Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 03:02:38 PM »
never saw one b4 but in MO they are legal to shoot during the spring season because by having a beard they are legal.  A bearded hen is a lot more common annomily than does with antlers it seems like.

Offline WNCDEERHUNTER

• Dec/10 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 03:15:12 PM »
Never saw one either, but I've heard some discussion about them. Also have heard of them being killed near here!
U.S. Army - Veteran

N.C. Lifetime Sportsman

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 06:29:55 PM »
I have had a bearded hen with chicks visiting my yard for two years in a row.  Can't be sure if it's the same hen, but she only shows up in the spring.  I have been trying to get digital photos of her but haven't been successful.  I did manage to get some 35 mm shots of her, now my problem is to find a place that develops 35 mm film.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline kjb-4320

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 08:04:48 PM »
 I have only seen one in the ten years that i have been hunting them, They are cool to see
NAHC Life Member
NAFC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Soft plastic guru

• 12 Point
  • I go catching not fishing!! FISH ON!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 09:40:16 PM »
never got to see one of those hens. sure would like to see a pic.
Hunt hard and take kids fishing!!!

Offline Hogie

• Spike
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 09:45:51 PM »
I've got one on my property here at my house that has been around about 4 or 5 years now her beard is about 6in but it's real thin. @--0--0109

Offline tncowboy

• 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 10:10:04 PM »
I have one in a flock on my property and she's the boss hen.

I had a fussing match with her last spring and she came back out in the field and jumped my hen decoy  --7-8-9

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 10:29:24 AM »
never and i say never upset a bearded hen 
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 09:00:55 PM »
the bearded hen that has been coming into my yard came back this evening.  One of my cats was on the back step, and she was having a hizzy fit.  I heard her (and her other hen friend) putting up a storm. I had been working in the garage and went to take a look.  The bearded hen was about 15 yds away.  Boy, was I wishing I had had a camera.  I watched her for a little while, and finally she went away.  I can tell she hen really impressed the cat.  All the time the hen was there, the cat just laid there and watched.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Duane72

• 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 11:25:10 AM »
Louie... you really got a keep a camera on you man!  @--0--0105 That's awesome. I would have loved to seen the cat's face. --7-8-9
USAF Veteran

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 01:46:27 PM »
Louie... you really got a keep a camera on you man!  @--0--0105 That's awesome. I would have loved to seen the cat's face. --7-8-9

Yeah, I got to remember to do that.  It's funny how the hens react when they see the cat.  They actually move towards it.  The chicks, who are now as big as chickens, just huddle together and watch from a distance.  I surmise the hens see the cat as a predator, but I don't know whether they are actually trying to confront the cat, or simply divert the cat's attention from the chicks.  As I said before, the chicks just huddle together and watch, they don't leave the area. 
NRA Life Member.

Offline Duane72

• 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 05:01:56 PM »
I imagine the hens are making a statement for sure. If your cat comes back with some fur missing, it may have tried to get too close!  @--0--0121
USAF Veteran

New Page 3

Google Ad