talkhuntin.com
Thank you for visiting the TalkHunting Community. We encourage you to register and jump right in. Since membership is free, what do you have to lose? This is a place to learn, have fun, share your experiences and express ideas. As a member, you can add your own comments and topics, participate in the promotions and really enjoy all that TalkHunting has to offer.

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to view pictures or post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. Our members can register for monthly prize drawings, enter contests and share their knowledge and stories of this great sport with others. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

Don

Author Topic: poison pods  (Read 3092 times)

Offline Snortweeze

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
poison pods
« on: September 24, 2008, 12:05:05 PM »
have any of you southern guy's ever heard of poison pods? i was told they are used down south. you put this poison on your broadhead and when you shot an animal it will die as long as you draw blood. is this a mith?
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Illinois farmer
Proharvest Seeds sales rep

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
Re: poison pods
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 12:33:29 PM »
clintt, there is not really any good hits on google to help you with that answer but there has been alot of discussion on it on cabelas forum.

Offline NJ Bowhunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 12:41:27 PM »
OK, Lets think about this for a moment.  What is the purpose of said poison.  To kill the animal that is being harvested?  What happends to the poison once it reaches blood.  Does it not then circulate thru the veins and arteries thus rendering the entire carcass poisoned.  Boy, I can hardly wait for that to get back from the butcher.  This does not sound legal or very smart.  IMHO.

NJ %^$^
If you must be somewhere.  Be Out There in the woods.

Hunting more years than I care to count or admit too.

NJ Hunter Ed Instructor
NRA Life
NAHC Life
10 yr Cancer Survivor
Proud Father of 2006 Miss New Jersey

Offline rugerred

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Take a kid hunting and you take one off the street
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 12:43:57 PM »
I agree with NJ I dont want anything close to poision flowing through the veins of my kill.  I will do it the old fashion way, broadhead or bullet.
Hoyt Katera
Hoyt Power Tech
Ruger Red Label
Big Black Labs

Offline Snortweeze

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 01:19:31 PM »
THE GUY WHO TOLD ME ABOUT IT SAID IT DID NOT HURT THE MEAT? I THOUGHT THE SAME THING. I NEED SOLID PROOF.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Illinois farmer
Proharvest Seeds sales rep

Offline BubbaBrown

• Baton Rouge, Louisiana (Home)
    • The Deer Camp
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 01:31:12 PM »
It's illegal in all the places I know of in the South and for sure in LA and MS.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 07:55:14 PM by BubbaBrown »
LIFE IS GOOD AT THE DEER CAMP!

2009 TalkHunting Sportsman of the Year
Hunters For The Hungry Of LA, B.O.D.
www.thedeercamp.com
2009 TALK HUNTING WILD GAME COOK-OFF CHAMPION
Cpl. USMC 1970-1972, MOS 6064, Parachute Rigger
NRA MEMBER
QDMA MEMBER
GATOR OUTFITTERS - Pro-Staff

Offline Whitetail54

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • All it Takes is a Tree Stand and a Dream !!
    • Raleigh, NC  Area Homes
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 07:37:35 PM »
Doesn't sound good here....  how fast does this poison work?  I would hate to just nick a deer only to have it die unnecessarily
Hunting for more than 40 years now
Member of Team TURF ONE

If you are 50 or over and have not yet had a colonoscopy...DO IT!!!  It saved my life!!

Offline BubbaBrown

• Baton Rouge, Louisiana (Home)
    • The Deer Camp
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 07:57:36 PM »
Not to worry, the  pod is on the shaft, behind the broadhead. The pod breaks open upon entering the deer. I said we don't use them, I didn't say I didn't know how to use them.
LIFE IS GOOD AT THE DEER CAMP!

2009 TalkHunting Sportsman of the Year
Hunters For The Hungry Of LA, B.O.D.
www.thedeercamp.com
2009 TALK HUNTING WILD GAME COOK-OFF CHAMPION
Cpl. USMC 1970-1972, MOS 6064, Parachute Rigger
NRA MEMBER
QDMA MEMBER
GATOR OUTFITTERS - Pro-Staff

Offline bigjim

• Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Eat, sleep, Hunt, fish, need I say more!
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 09:45:42 PM »
If I have to resort to using poison to kill deer , I ain't eaten the meat and I will definately not feed it to a loved one.  that would be like eating squirrels that you killed with rat poison. Not good idea any way you look at it.Key work Poison ... a substance that kills everything living.  0-0-0-
God bless and happy hunting

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • 18 Point
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 01:34:05 AM »
Sounds like something that the Indians in South America use on their poison darts in their blow guns . The poison becomes safe after the meat is cooked if I remember right . --9-8-7
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA
Mike's Magic Pro Staff

Offline vthunter

• Button Buck
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 06:50:13 PM »
A number of years ago there was an arrow that had a "Pod" attached directly in back of the hunting head, however it used a "Muscle Relaxiant", not a Poison to harvest. It was not received very well by both state game departments as well as most hunters, and eventually the manufacter went out of business.

There was always the thought that if a hunter accidently hit "Someone" or pierced their own body with the head, and the pod rolled back, that THEY might be a victim. The material in the Pod affects the heart muscle to the point that it stops, killing the person.
LM - NRA
LM - NSSA
LM - NAHC

Offline eddie

• 2008 Oct. Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 12:57:15 PM »
does not sound very ethical

Offline randyman38901

• 2008 Prize Winner
  • 4 Point
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 01:16:56 PM »
O.K., I can tell about this a little. Years ago I had a brief encounter with this stuff, some folks in the south still use it. These folks use a needle in the tip of an arrow, the cylinder of the needle holds the poison, and upon a very hard impact, the poison is pushed out of the cylinder, and thu the needle into the animals muscle. The cylinder uses a blank shot to make it go. If mixed properly, the animal won't go 10 yards. This stuff is not legal here or anywhere else, as far as I know, however,  it was brought up for vote in the house years ago. If you think about it, it is probably more humane than a normal broadhead in the hands of most hunters. No injured, crippled, or suffering animals, Either they are dead, or not. The stuff absolutely does not affect the meat in any way. You could ingest it and it will not harm you. The reason I know this for sure is that years ago, a distraught woman tried to commit suicide by swallowing a whole bottle(enough to kill a dozen deer) and it only made her sick. I know this person well.
Also shooting yourself is next to impossible with the needle apparatus. It takes a terrific force to make it go off. You still have to get the animal within 20, 30 yards to make an effective shot. I don't use it, but It doesn't bother me if some do. Some folks think compound bows with sights and a release is unethical..  I say just get out in the woods, and enjoy what we have.

Offline Chipper

• 6 Point
  • Westfork Hunt Club-Liberty, MS
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 03:35:13 PM »
Don't use the stuff, but I shoot targets with a pharmacist, and we've had this discussion before-the drug is
Anectine(generic name Succinyl Choline Chloride).  It is a non-narcotic schedule 6 drug, regulated by the FDA and its legal use is restricted to its "labeled use" which is to paralyze the breathing muscles during certain surgeries in order to facilitate ventilator breathing.  It is also used in combination with other drugs to facilitate the lethal injection administered to death row inmates.

It is not illegal to use for hunting under Mississippi law, however, its use for other than its intended labeled purposes is a violation of FDA regulations.  I'm told that it has a very short active life, and breaks down quickly in the body into harmless compounds, hence eating the meat of an animal killed with the poison would be safe.

I understand that the powder form of the drug is now very hard to come by, since hospitals no longer carry it(it kept disappearing from their drug shelf during hunting season).  Also, no pharmacist can dispense it or use it for bowhunting, without risking the loss of their license.  So if anyone is using it, I wonder how they are legally obtaining it.
"That's "just" my game"

Offline RidgelandHunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 06:20:25 PM »
i havent heard of this but it doesn't sound healthy. if you poison the deer is it still good to eat?

New Page 3

Fall Hunting Classic Online at Basspro.com