New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Cover scent wafers  (Read 1031 times)

Offline buschwacked

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
Cover scent wafers
« on: September 19, 2008, 07:33:57 AM »
I usually depend on keeping as scent free as i can.  Use scent free soaps, deoderant, scent killer spray and scent loc camo stored in scent free container.   Never had an issue with being winded in many years.  This year, I read in a few places about using 'Earth' scent wafers as a cover up to completely cover any scent.  Tried them this weekend.  First thing i noticed was how strong the earth smell was.  Almost too much for me to stand.  Couldnt help but think what that would be like for a deers sensitive nose.  Got to find out.  Had a doe come out about 25 yards downwind of me.  When she hit the scent, she just flipped out.  For now, i will be putting the scent wafers away and going back to my scent free system thats been working.  I know you cannot completely cover your scent but i think with all the things i do, the deer can smell me but thinks im further away because the scent is so faint.  Has anybody had a similar experience with these scent wafers? I think the smell is just too strong. 

Offline rugerred

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Take a kid hunting and you take one off the street
Re: Cover scent wafers
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 07:38:00 AM »
I have had the opposite happen, since using them I have gotten alot of deer closer than in the past.
Hoyt Katera
Hoyt Power Tech
Ruger Red Label
Big Black Labs

Offline buschwacked

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 07:39:58 AM »
Do yours smell that strong?   What kind do you use?

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 07:40:53 AM »
I feel like anything that puts off that much of a smell it only draws attention. I may be wrong but it works for me,I like to use scents around stand but keep myself scent free.

Offline rugerred

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 07:43:38 AM »
I have used the leafs and the wafers,  I dont think they are strong at all.  I clip one to my hat and one on a rung on my stand.  Had a 3 pt look my way last weekend sniffed the air and just walked along.  My son had a doe almost bump the ladder of his stand the next day.  I dont have the container with me but I prefer the ones in the brown, round container.
Hoyt Katera
Hoyt Power Tech
Ruger Red Label
Big Black Labs

Offline buschwacked

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 07:49:53 AM »
These are so strong they burn my eyes and nose when i had it clipped to my hat.  IT WAS STRONG!!  Maybe i will try to leave them hang outside for a while to tone down the smell.  These were the Hunter Specialties ones.  What ones do you use? 

Offline rugerred

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 11:22:45 AM »
Those are the ones but I never had anything that strong.  Not even close.  I use earth scent, I could see maybe the estrus being stong but nothing else.  You want just a faint cover not to add scent.
Hoyt Katera
Hoyt Power Tech
Ruger Red Label
Big Black Labs

Offline rugerred

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 11:31:55 AM »
Check out the cabelas site and the reviews.  http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0004721413265a.shtml
Hoyt Katera
Hoyt Power Tech
Ruger Red Label
Big Black Labs

Offline buschwacked

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 12:49:40 PM »
Lots of good reviews.  Thats part of the reason i tried them.  Im going to try to leave mine out for a while to see if it tones it down a bit. Maybe i got a super concentrate..  ;D

Offline Biologist

• Button Buck
  • Managing for tomorrows wildlife... Today!
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 10:27:41 PM »
I have been using them for years with GREAT results. However, I don't use them while I am hunting. I wash my camo with scent free soap, line dry then I place four or five of the earth scent wafers in the container that I store my clothes in. My camo smells like good old dirt, and the scent is not as strong as using the wafers in the field.
JB

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 01:00:04 AM »
Have used them for years and love them , however I had a hunting buddy that could not stand them to the point that I had to dress and hunt down wind of him . looks like they affect you the same way . :'( ;D
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

New Page 3

Google Ad