New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: lessons learned  (Read 1134 times)

Offline kyhareraiser

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
lessons learned
« on: May 10, 2010, 08:13:08 PM »
 figured i'd start a topic to see what everyoe has learned about turkey hunting during the 2010 turkey season.. i for one have picked up a couple things i'll share with y'all.      #1.... when calling to a gobblerand he's not answering ,but his hen friend is .... give her the same calls she's giving you and as she gets louder ,you get louder too.and when she goes on a two or three minute long series of yelps ,cutts ,clucks and some of the weird sounds they can make when mad,wait till she quits and give it right back to her.she will come lookin' for you to whip you  and more than likely she will bring the gobbler as she comes(he has to see what all the comotion is all about) .that's how i got bird #1 this year....#2.. hunt late.. this year was rough arround here gettin' gobblers to sound off once they left the roost ,it was for me anyway.so after a day full of runnin' an gunnin' they call it(did'nt do much gunnin'..mostly runnin)but i just could'nt get the birds to react to any kind of call,locator call,,box calls ,friction calls ,dangerous but i tried a gobble or two from the shaker ,no good.. but at 12:50 i made a fly down cacklon the box call while at a dust bowl site and BOOM' a gobble (not 30 yards away)and he never stopped all the way as he was coming down the ridge.. however as he got close he went to struttin'and i did'nt even have time to set down because i just knew he would see me movin' arround  ,so i just stood there  and gave a coupe clucks with a mouth call and then he started on his way again.soon as his head came into sight and i could see the beard  swingin' i busted a cap on him.. so don't give up ,,hunt late  or a fellar could even go in the hills a little later after the hens go on the nest.. any more lessons learned by you guys and gals .share them with us and next year maybe we will have all kinds of tricks to use to take them birds . @--0--0137
When the hammer drops............the bullcrap stops

Offline shaun

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
Re: lessons learned
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 08:48:15 PM »
good story what i learned this year is you dont always have to call when you have decoys

Offline MN_Whitetail

• Sept. 2010 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • MN Whitetail and Turkey Bowhunter
    • Birchwood Taxidermy
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 12:16:53 AM »
My season opens this weekend so I haven't had the chance to attend class quite yet. I'll sure add something to this thread if I do learn something new though. Thanks for the tips and congratulations on your success this season.  ##$%#115

Offline BOGO

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Double Droptine
  • Is Ready for Turkey Season!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 10:14:26 AM »
Good Leasons learned Thanks for sharing!
Its not always about the Harvest.Its about all the events & memories the Good Lord Blessed you with during the Hunt.Those are the Real Trophys!Remember to Love this land & Pass It on(25years experience of chasin Beards & Bucks)
*Pro Staff for Straight Creek Calls

Offline hawghunter65

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 04:25:31 PM »
found a couple of calls that needed tuning before i can hunt.  always check all of your gear before heading out.

@--0--0138
Brad Gordon, Staff Writer TH
52 years of chasing fur and feathers
NRA member
Past member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Member National Wild Turkey Federation
WTI user, grower, and believer
Matthew's bows
"Bone Collector" Team Member

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • one cold day
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 07:47:18 PM »
sounds like you learned a lot this year, I learn a lot every year ;D....we can only hunt till noon but I've had them come in 5 minutes before @--0--0118
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline Rem870

• Fawn
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 08:11:42 PM »
My lesson learned: Gobblers never do what I expect them to do...  I've got one more day that I am able to hunt. Wish me luck, and best of luck to all of you.

Offline bwag

• 4 Point
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 05:10:12 AM »
if you are working a bird don't always expect him to come straight in to your gun barrel they like to circle you that last 50 yards usually ending up to one of your sides

Offline kjb-4320

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 07:01:48 PM »
I learned that as hard as the hunt went for me, You just have to keep trying, And you will fill that tag
NAHC Life Member
NAFC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Stewbailey

• Fawn
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 09:06:51 PM »
I learned several times this season that just because the Tom doesn't tell you he's on his way, doesn't mean he wont show up.
Stewart D Bailey
CPT, EN
Commanding

Offline Mack

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 10:00:30 PM »
My bird came in while I was sleeping this year (yes sleeping) I woke up to him spitting and strutting by at 6 feet.......Some times it works out best if ya don't call at all.....it also helps to have a Dave Smith decoy ;D.....Stay after them......Mack

Offline tiller

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
    • Hooks & Bullets Magazine
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 02:39:54 PM »
I learned that just because you spook a gobbler doesn't mean that the hunt is a bust. With a little time, a decoy and some good calling (?) you can still bust one of them.  ##$%#11
Michigan's Hooks & Bullets Magazine, Co-owner / Publisher
First Flights Aviation Services, Aerial Photography
Cutting Edge Bindery LLC

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 02:10:08 PM »
Very informative thanks for sharing.
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

New Page 3