New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Close but no  (Read 1034 times)

Offline DLR

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • God is my solid rock in which I lean on.
Close but no
« on: April 30, 2010, 10:33:14 PM »
I was feeling a little tired today, so I did not get up early to go out to hunt. I got up around 9am and ate some breakfast and got dressed and headed on out the door. I decided to go lower today then where I have been hunting. I get to where I want to be and not really sure about where to set up. There is a deep ravine on the bottom flat so I decided to back up some and set up. Found a great tree and set up the hen. So after I got settled in I started to call softly every 5 minutes or so. I have been sitting now for over an half hour and decided to get aggressive. So with a mouth call and slate call and a box call I start to call with the mouth call and slate then put down the slate and use the box call. WHAT WAS THAT --7-8-9 a gobble. I give another call and a  gobble and this time closer. By the time I put the box call down I saw movement. It's a nice tom, I could see the beard, it was long and wide. He see's my decoy and goes into strut. I reach up and turn on the I-kam video glasses. I am watching this tom walk back and forth in full strut. I am looking down the shotgun barrel, hoping to get all this on video. The tom will not cross the ravine and now I'm thinking that I should have set up closer. The tom is getting spooky and he sticks his head up and I let one fly at him. As I watch him run off I knew I missed. After getting up and walking over to the spot where he was I could see no blood or feathers. I look back and estimate the shoot at 65 yards, just a little far for me to shoot. I got home and down loaded the video to see what I had captured on video. Well you can see me aiming the gun but the video is off to the side not looking at what I am looking at. You can see the tom run after the shot but it failed to video any of the tom strutting. I was kinda disappointed but what the heck I just had a great day  and I had action. Well tomorrow is another day. More on the I-Kam video glasses later...........
Attended 2010 WKH Hog Hunt
Team Turbo Nock
YHEC Volunteer
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
Maryland Safety Instructor
Attended Eastern Anniversary Party
Attended 2010 Campout
 Graduate of Ultimate Medical Academy 2012

Offline Duane72

• 14 Point Droptine
Re: Close but no
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 06:02:07 AM »
Great attitude DLR! It's always a little disapointing with a miss, but you know he's there. Too bad the video didn't turn out like you had hoped! I would have loved to seen it! Keep us posted. Hope to hear you down him today!
USAF Veteran
Bow, Shotgun, & Muzzleloader Hunter
Acts 10:13 "...Get up, Peter, kill and eat!"
Proverbs 12:27 "...the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt."

Offline kjb-4320

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 06:45:46 AM »
Just keep after them, Your luck will change for the better,  Some where in the woods there is a bird waiting to go home with you @--0--0101
NAHC Life Member
NAFC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 07:19:11 AM »
At least, you got your heart pumping hard!  Great story.  You'll get him next time!
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline tncowboy

• 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 08:43:42 AM »
That does get the blood pumping don't it!!  keep after them  @--0--0101

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 03:11:28 PM »
Tough Luck. Stay after Them. Like you said tomorrow is another day. Good Luck.

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 04:10:09 PM »
me too DLR , my partner moved a little too much but I had action, I will try tomorrow, good luck to you DLR, at least were having fun @--0--0118
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline shaun

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 05:22:22 PM »
keep after him youl get him stay with it  @--0--0101

Offline hawghunter65

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 05:49:10 PM »
look at this experience as learning several opportunities for improvement.  you are learning how to video your hunts, always consider your setup and obstacles that might hang up a tom, and range setup so when he comes into view you can take him.  nothing is ever foolproof and that's why they call it hunting.

@--0--0138
Brad Gordon, Staff Writer TH
52 years of chasing fur and feathers
NRA member
Past member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Member National Wild Turkey Federation
WTI user, grower, and believer
Matthew's bows
"Bone Collector" Team Member

Offline cowmanhunter

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 06:16:07 PM »
Great story better luck next time. @--0--0133
CMH
32 years hunting experiece and learning daily.
If Your Gonna Be Stupid You Gotta Be Tough.
If you find yourself in a hole, The first thing you do is stop digging.
Phill. 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice!

New Page 3

Google Ad