New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: What kind of fishing line do you use?  (Read 1922 times)

Offline NotRite

• 10 Point
  • 5lb-12oz Ky Spot Caught 5-06-12
Re: What kind of fishing line do you use?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 07:47:20 PM »
I used to use nothing but Trilene XL and XT. Then I went to Super Silverthread. It was amazing how much easier/better it cast. I was a bit surprised plus back then, it was quited a bit cheaper especially the 1000yd spools. After a while the silverthread went up in price some and I went back to the Trilene. However, about a couple of yrs ago I found myself going back to Stren which is what I had originally started using when I was getting started bass fishing. I think a sale or something was the reason I bought it and I am still using it. I use 10-14lb on the 5 reels I use. Used to use much heavier, but found myself catching more fish with smaller lines and I cannot remember the last time I had my line break on me so I don't have any issues with poundage there. I do have one other reel spooled for the very little bit of catfishing I do and I keep some steel leaders handy if line breakage becomes a problem then.

I was kinda surprised that NO ONE listed Stren. A lot of pros still use it so I was just curious as to why no one here uses it.
BASS member
K.I.S.S. member
(Keep It Simple Stupid)

Offline lswoody

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 08:13:30 PM »
Stren, trilene, triple fish, berkley fireline, power pro. I use several. I do NOT like flourocarbon lines at all!!!!!!
Proverbs 3:5,6

Offline ddejong

• Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 08:42:07 PM »
Lots of great lines out there, and not being an expert I won't add anything to this part of the discussion.  However, my father -- who is now 87 and still fishing at his cabin in Minnesota -- has an old open face reel that has his multicolored braided line from who knows how long ago!  He absolutely never changes his line (or his lure for that matter), and of course he always manages to catch a few fish.  Everytime I change line (which is every spring) he is sure to tell me about how long his line has lasted!

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 11:25:29 PM »
Lots of great lines out there, and not being an expert I won't add anything to this part of the discussion.  However, my father -- who is now 87 and still fishing at his cabin in Minnesota -- has an old open face reel that has his multicolored braided line from who knows how long ago!  He absolutely never changes his line (or his lure for that matter), and of course he always manages to catch a few fish.  Everytime I change line (which is every spring) he is sure to tell me about how long his line has lasted!

##$%#11 Nothing like getting showed up by the old timers.  I love to fish with the older guys and hear their stories and see their techniques.  That's a great story ddejong.  I got a good chuckle out of that.  I can picture him with his old rod and reel, old line, old bait, showing everyone how it's done.   --9-908
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline n_hebert

• 4 Point
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 11:22:16 AM »
I am not set to one kind of string or one name brand. But if i had to take a guess at what i would buy if i went to the store right now it would probably be trilene 14lb test. I am currently using Spiderwire braid 15lb test and I DO NOT recommend anyone else use it. I am ready to strip it right now. I was casting and the string popped at the bait and my bait went flying. I recovered the bait once because it was a crankbait and i saw where it landed, the second time i was not so lucky.
The Fable One Has Spoken

Offline copnjax

• 10 Point
  • My 10 pt. / 240 lb. Buck
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 10:11:40 AM »
After reading someone's post about McCoy's "Mean Green" line, I ordered a spool and received it yesterday.  I spooled it onto one of my best rods and made some casts on my lake with it.  I must say, I am very impressed with how smoothly it casts!  I'm not a novice, and have used many lines in my days and, so far, I really like this stuff.  Now, I just need to get out on the lake and see how it holds up against some of the big bass I have as "pets" in my lake. 
Retired after 34 yrs. on Jacksonville (Fl.) Police Dept.  19 yrs. in patrol and last 15 yrs. in C.S.I.
Now I can hunt and go bass fishing anytime I want!  Started deer hunting in 2007 but, had many years as a teen hunting rabbits and squirrels.

Offline WNCDEERHUNTER

• Dec/10 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 11:12:11 AM »
I've had good luck with Fireline! Works great for me on our lakes!
U.S. Army - Veteran

N.C. Lifetime Sportsman

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 11:07:08 PM »
After reading someone's post about McCoy's "Mean Green" line, I ordered a spool and received it yesterday.  I spooled it onto one of my best rods and made some casts on my lake with it.  I must say, I am very impressed with how smoothly it casts!  I'm not a novice, and have used many lines in my days and, so far, I really like this stuff.  Now, I just need to get out on the lake and see how it holds up against some of the big bass I have as "pets" in my lake. 

Ya that was my post copnjax.  I know you will like it.  You won't believe how strong it is when you have to break it off from getting hung up.  "knock on wood" I have never had a fish break me off since I've been using it.  The castability is okay (better than big game) but the strength and abrasion resistance is excellent.  In the most recent Field & Stream there is a good article about fishing lines and knots.  McCoys was in their tests.  It tested pretty good but not the best on their list.  I've never heard of or used some of the lines they tested.  I'm sold on it for good and will always use it as long as I can find it.  Right now I have to either order it online or make a hour and half trip to Emory,TX to buy it at Lake Fork Tackle.  They owner of Lake Fork Tackle told me all the guides on Fork use McCoys Mean Green and that is why he carries it.

The best line to lure knot in the F&S tests showed to be the Trilene Knot.  The guy that turned me on to Mean Green and I have argued for years which knot is the strongest.  He says the polymar knot, I've always said the Trilene Knot.  He one uped me on the line but I got him on the knot!  @--0--0118
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

New Page 3

Google Ad