New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: What kind of fishing line do you use?  (Read 1925 times)

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
What kind of fishing line do you use?
« on: April 26, 2010, 11:39:09 PM »
Tell us what kind of fishing lines you use and why.  There are so many choices now.

For me I primarily fish for bass.  When I go out I usually carry 4-5 rods so I can rig up different baits.  Usually the smallest line I'll rig is 12 lb and the largest 17 or 20 lb depending on what rod and type of bait I want to throw.  If I go to Lake Fork, yes I will have a couple rigged up with 20.  I also use braided line in some cases and on some rigs will use flourocarbon.  But I have to tell you about my favorite mono line.

I'm 41 years old and have been blessed to have spent a lot of time on the water and have tried many many types of lines.  For me Trilene XL has been the best line for castability and strength.........until a friend turned me on to McCoy's Mean Green a couple of years ago.  I was very reluctant and a loyal Trilene XL guy.  He keeps 500 yd spools in many strengths and talked me into spooling my reels up with his McCoys Mean Green before a tournament we fished together.  I couldn't believe how much better it casted and how strong it was.  2 years later I still have a couple of those reels spooled with the same line and it still casts great and appears to me to not have lost any strength at all.  McCoy's Mean Green is hands down the best line I've ever used.  This stuff is awesome.

If you are not familiar with it just google it. It can be found online easily but it's hard to find in stores around here.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline bugfixer

• Administrator
  • 12 Point
Re: What kind of fishing line do you use?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 12:16:12 AM »
I will have to check that out. I mostly salt water fish, but I have been a loyal Trilene XL user for over 25 years now. My great uncle who taught me a lot about fishing turned me on to it, when I was a young teenager, and it has never let me down. I have never heard of McCoy's Mean Green, but I will have to look it up, and give it a try.

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 06:36:49 AM »
Your so right about the different types of line on the market today. I mainly bass fish and for years I used Silverthread and still do today. There are several lines on the market that I use. I like Diamond Illusion but it's hard to find. I also like Triple Fish also hard to find. There is a new Fluorocarbon on the market by Vicious. This is by far the best Fluorocarbon line I've ever used and at a great price. Bass Pro Shops XPS series of lines are good.

I'm always on the lookout for a good fishing line so I'll have to give McCoy's Mean Green a try. Try Diamond Illusion and Vicious Fluorocarbon and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.   ##$%#1115

NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline copnjax

• 10 Point
  • My 10 pt. / 240 lb. Buck
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 07:10:14 AM »
I don't claim to be an expert but, I've fished some major tournaments in my days and always used either Trilene XL or the XT.  For the past few years, I've been using Shakespeare's Cajun Red.  Believe it or not, this stuff is a very good line!  Being translucent red means it disappears quickly under the surface.  As we all know, the color red is the first color to disappear.  I've never heard of McCoys but, I'm going to google it and check it out......thanks for the tip on McCoy's.
Retired after 34 yrs. on Jacksonville (Fl.) Police Dept.  19 yrs. in patrol and last 15 yrs. in C.S.I.
Now I can hunt and go bass fishing anytime I want!  Started deer hunting in 2007 but, had many years as a teen hunting rabbits and squirrels.

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 07:15:44 AM »
Gee,
After reading the other posts, almost did not reply.    @--0--0125

I use any name brand on SALE in 8-12 lb.  I fish for bream and fish only because it is not hunting season.     @--0--0124

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline copnjax

• 10 Point
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 07:24:28 AM »
Ok, I just ordered a bulk spool of 15 lb. Mean Green to try on the bass in my lake.  I've been very happy with the Cajun Red the past few years but, am willing to see if something is better.
Retired after 34 yrs. on Jacksonville (Fl.) Police Dept.  19 yrs. in patrol and last 15 yrs. in C.S.I.
Now I can hunt and go bass fishing anytime I want!  Started deer hunting in 2007 but, had many years as a teen hunting rabbits and squirrels.

Offline kjb-4320

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 08:19:43 AM »
 It's Trilene XL green for me, Ten pound for salmon and trout,  Six pound for walleyes, And four pound for panfish
NAHC Life Member
NAFC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline coalfield outfitter

• 6 Point
  • I will always share the Gospel
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 09:50:58 AM »
20lb Berkley Big Game. It is absolutlely un breakable. If I hang up the lure comes out or I have to cut the line. Excellent line when it comes to fishing heavy cover.
Jesus is the Lord. He is the only way to eternity.

Offline fishingfooltim

• Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
    • Up North Journal
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 10:18:07 AM »
It all depends on what I am fishing for and what the situation is.  Anything from Triline XL to Flourocarbon to braids and everything in between.
Up North Journal Team Member
www.upnorthjournal.com
NRA Member
NWTF Member

Offline copnjax

• 10 Point
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 03:17:21 PM »
I use Trilene Big Game for flippin'....and you're right, it's definitely practically unbreakable.  Too thick for me when tossing plastic worms, though.

Offline yari

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 03:36:14 PM »
i have a friend that is a tournament fisherman and he turned me on to P-LINE. i really like it with the exception of the 'CCX'. it is too brittle for my needs. i won't go back to the other brands of mono.

for musky, most of the superbraids are real good. I've tried several and they all work well.
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline ameshell

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • 12.86lb Baby!
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 06:41:20 PM »
 ##$%#1119 Well, I use 2 different lines. For mono i use P-line, 12-15lb XL, depending on what i am fishing for. I also use 50lb power pro on two of my fresh water rods. One for the fluke and frog, the other for texas rig.  ##$%#1115
Team "Big 10"
Team 3 Rack Addicts
Texas Peace Officer
Served in the US Navy

Offline russcat

• 14 Point
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 11:17:51 PM »
Ok, I just ordered a bulk spool of 15 lb. Mean Green to try on the bass in my lake.  I've been very happy with the Cajun Red the past few years but, am willing to see if something is better.

I probably use more 15 lb than any other strength.  Where I formerly used 17 or 20 lb Trilene XL I can use 15 lb Mean Green with better casting and it's stronger.  I think you will be very impressed with it.  Let us know.

The tournament I fished the first time I used it was on Lake O' Pines in East Texas.  We fished the river area both days with stumps and trees every where.  We got hung up several times.  I had 20 lb Mean Green on one of my reels and could not break it.  I had to wrap the line around the cleat on the boat and use the trolling motor on high to break it. I finally smartened up and went to the 15 lb and used a 15 lb leader on my 20 lb Carolina Rig just so I could break it off when I got hung up.

I've also used Big Game a lot in the past.  I just never cared for how it casts.  It's strong but don't cast too good.  Not as strong as Mean Green though.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

-Joshua Crutchield

Offline russcat

• 14 Point
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 11:20:54 PM »
It looks like there are several great lines I'm not familiar with.  That's why I started this post.  I was curious if anyone else had found a great line I have never heard of and used.  I'll have to look into the P-Line, Cajun Red, and Vicious.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

-Joshua Crutchield

Offline ke7cjw

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Are you part of the New Breed Nation?
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 06:37:19 AM »
I have tried many different brands and types of line and always end up back with the Berkley Trilene XL. It works well for me and always gives consistent performance.
ke7cjw
Life member of the NRA
Life member of the North American Fishing club

New Page 3

Google Ad