talkhuntin.com
Thank you for visiting the TalkHunting Community. We encourage you to register and jump right in. Since membership is free, what do you have to lose? This is a place to learn, have fun, share your experiences and express ideas. As a member, you can add your own comments and topics, participate in the promotions and really enjoy all that TalkHunting has to offer.

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to view pictures or post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. Our members can register for monthly prize drawings, enter contests and share their knowledge and stories of this great sport with others. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

Don

Author Topic: when do the catfish bite the best?  (Read 4786 times)

Offline n_hebert

• 4 Point
when do the catfish bite the best?
« on: April 22, 2010, 03:53:55 PM »
I have primarily fished catfish my whole life and i just cant seem to figure this one question that i keep asking my self. Do catfish bite better when the water is rising or when it is falling.I have caught plenty of fish when it was high water conditions, and also plenty when its low.  If anyone has some info for me, please feel free to tell me
The Fable One Has Spoken

Offline cowmanhunter

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: when do the catfish bite the best?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 04:32:51 PM »
Here in Florida they bite better when it is running, high or low I am not sure about.
CMH
32 years hunting experiece and learning daily.
If Your Gonna Be Stupid You Gotta Be Tough.
If you find yourself in a hole, The first thing you do is stop digging.
Phill. 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice!

Offline n_hebert

• 4 Point
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 04:35:17 PM »
i see, i am in Louisiana and the water is always running, i fish either the Mississippi river of the atchafalaya and both have plenty of flow year round, its basically a flood basin so the river levels fluctuate constantly
The Fable One Has Spoken

Offline ddossett1976

• Fawn
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 04:37:00 PM »
i have had the best luck right at dark.

Offline n_hebert

• 4 Point
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 04:51:57 PM »
i have also done well right before dark and when its dark i have done very well on jugs, sure makes for a fun night with a ice chest full of cold beer
The Fable One Has Spoken

Offline T. C. Thunder

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Hello from Missouri
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 07:19:16 PM »
I have always herd that catfish bite best when the river is on the rise. We fish the Missouri river and have our best luck floating jugs when the river is at normal pool. We catch alot of blue cats.
T. C. Thunder
NRA Life Member
Hunt Hard, Hunt Safe, and Leave Only Tracks
Take a Child Hunting or Fishing...
40 years hunting

Offline lswoody

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 07:46:06 PM »
Rising.
Proverbs 3:5,6

Offline hawghunter65

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 07:50:20 PM »
big cats at nite here.

@--0--0138
Brad Gordon, Staff Writer TH
52 years of chasing fur and feathers
NRA member
Past member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Member National Wild Turkey Federation
WTI user, grower, and believer
Matthew's bows
"Bone Collector" Team Member

Offline cobrican

• 12 Point
    • Sawyer Consulting LLC
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 07:15:24 AM »
they always bite best when I'm not fishing. 
Sawyer Consulting LLC
Consultant for hunting Properties
Forestry & Wildlife Management
-Licensed Commercial Applicator
-Friend to TH Members
-Promotional Marketing for hunting companies
www.sawyerconsultingllc.com
Blue Collar Decoys; Gulf region sales rep

Offline BOGO

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Double Droptine
  • Is Ready for Turkey Season!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 09:57:51 AM »
Well different places different cases I guess. I have caught them on the rise and the fall. But I have had my most luck when it is on the Rise!! They like that moving water something about makes the very active. @--0--0101 to you! Anytime is a good time to go fishing!!
Its not always about the Harvest.Its about all the events & memories the Good Lord Blessed you with during the Hunt.Those are the Real Trophys!Remember to Love this land & Pass It on(25years experience of chasin Beards & Bucks)
*Pro Staff for Straight Creek Calls

Offline sunnyseasons4u

• Fawn
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 06:36:04 PM »
hi all,just registered and i think i'll fit right in.anyway i been trot linin flathead and channel for bout 45 of 55 years and have learned a lot,such as yes when the water on the rise.but here in kansas, i use a barometer to tell me the best time to be baited and to have my skinnin post(cloths line pole w/giant hooks) ready.in the spring as wheather rolls in and out,the preasure goes up and down,watchin weather reports also helps and i have my own trusty barometer that quietly says,"hey i'm on the rise"which means there is a rain on the way and to bait up.i have proven this to myself and others for a lot of years now.anyway after a weather front moves past preasure will fall again and so will the amount of fish movement.barometer up>fish,barometer down>prepare.my personal favorite time is when late night showers roll through bout every other night for about a week or so.thats when i can stock all freezers and then fish just to try and beet my own records.give it a try when you get the chance and see for yourself.hope this helps ya

Offline bcotton

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 08:35:43 PM »
Caught them in various situations, but one thing I plan around is the moon.  Had great luck catfishing on full moons, or at least bright nights
BC

Offline n_hebert

• 4 Point
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 07:50:27 PM »
I am going put out some trotlines monday and i am going to leave them out and look at the barometric pressure and the lunar phase and make some notes of it. Thank you for all the info
The Fable One Has Spoken

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 01:16:54 PM »
Old Fisherman wise tell......

River on the rise, fisherman's surprise. River on the fall, don't go at all.

I always had my best luck during the evening hours. Also it is very helpful if you know where their channel runs are so you can fish over them. Easy way I have found to know these. Our river is pretty much covered with mud on bottom but where the fish run it will be rock bottom because of their movement and flowing water. In a boat take a long metal rod and keep probing the bottom, when you hear TING you are hitting rock instead of mud. Then you can determine if it is a channel run if it is wide enough. Thats were you should set your nets or trout lines if you are fishing that way. If not make a note were they are at and try to cast to them from the bank.

Hope this helps.

When My father in law is asked when fishing is best,he simple replies, "when I crank the old telephone." @--0--0125

Offline n_hebert

• 4 Point
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 06:28:15 PM »
thats funny my father in law says the same thing about the telephone
The Fable One Has Spoken

New Page 3

Fall Hunting Classic Online at Basspro.com