New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Turkey Hunting 101  (Read 816 times)

Offline ddossett1976

• Fawn
Turkey Hunting 101
« on: April 22, 2010, 02:25:08 PM »
Let me start by saying that I'm not a huge turkey hunter, with that being said let me tell y'all what happen last week and see if anyone can help ? Last Thursday i went turkey hunting and knew the general area where the turkey was gobbling and as the morning came to life so did he. He gobbled three times on the roost and didn't gobble again until 930 am. I was very cautious with the turkey and called very little. I hunted him all day Thursday and couple of hours Friday and gave up on him, i think he is just too smart for me. Any suggestions ?

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
Re: Turkey Hunting 101
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 02:30:04 PM »
He might have already been with a hen.
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline ddossett1976

• Fawn
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 02:43:58 PM »
I was thinking that. When do the hens stopped breeding ?

Offline ddossett1976

• Fawn
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 02:48:49 PM »
This time of the year should you be more aggressive with your calling are not ?

Offline BOGO

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Double Droptine
  • Is Ready for Turkey Season!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 02:49:04 PM »
I would say if he was gobbling at 9:30 he was ALONE and thats a good thing! You done the right thing by not calling much. I would call to him if he answers then he is more than likely coming so just take it easy and be ready. It sounds like to me he may have seen you I know no hunter likes to hear that but it happens I know it has to me . If he was gobbling that late in the morning and you was trying to get closer to him and he just shut up something happened he did not like.....what well it could be a million things. Those birds are weird gritters and everyone of them is different. But Better Luck next time. Just stay after him you will get him!
Its not always about the Harvest.Its about all the events & memories the Good Lord Blessed you with during the Hunt.Those are the Real Trophys!Remember to Love this land & Pass It on(25years experience of chasin Beards & Bucks)
*Pro Staff for Straight Creek Calls

Offline ddossett1976

• Fawn
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 02:53:16 PM »
Thanks Bogo, I will admit that i had been sitting in the same place since before daylight calling about every 20 mins really soft, just didn't know if i should have done something differently, he was only about 80 yards away at 930 when he gobbled.

Offline BOGO

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Double Droptine
  • Is Ready for Turkey Season!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 02:56:29 PM »
Thanks Bogo, I will admit that i had been sitting in the same place since before daylight calling about every 20 mins really soft, just didn't know if i should have done something differently, he was only about 80 yards away at 930 when he gobbled.

If he was at 80 yards when he gobbled then there aint much you could do. Sounds like you done everything right. It sounds to me like he was coming in!
Its not always about the Harvest.Its about all the events & memories the Good Lord Blessed you with during the Hunt.Those are the Real Trophys!Remember to Love this land & Pass It on(25years experience of chasin Beards & Bucks)
*Pro Staff for Straight Creek Calls

Offline ddossett1976

• Fawn
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 04:35:40 PM »
I sat there for about 1hour and 30 mins after i heard him gobble and he never came in, and i got tired to be honest my back started to hurt.

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • one cold day
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 08:12:29 PM »
deerhead to me is right on...he's henned up.....the only thing I can suggest is to get a little closer to the roost when he's gobbling and instead of not calling much...get aggressive......can't hurt to try @--0--0117
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline ddossett1976

• Fawn
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 07:09:02 AM »
Thanks for your help maybe i will have better luck next week

New Page 3