New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Which locater call to get?  (Read 2101 times)

Offline Duane72

• 14 Point Droptine
Which locater call to get?
« on: March 27, 2010, 08:03:53 PM »
Ok. I have never used one before, so for those of you who have one or have used different ones, it's time for a shout out.  --7-8-9

What is your favorite locater call and how successful are they? I know there are crow calls and owl calls, but are there others?

Lastly, when do you use them? ie: Can you use them when you go in before dark, or do you have to wait until daylight, etc.?
USAF Veteran
Bow, Shotgun, & Muzzleloader Hunter
Acts 10:13 "...Get up, Peter, kill and eat!"
Proverbs 12:27 "...the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt."

Offline ddejong

• Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: Which locater call to get?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 08:14:31 PM »
I have only used a crow and owl call, and frankly, without much success.  I know there are hawk, woodpecker, and of course gobbler calls.  The owl and crow calls are pretty easy to use.  The owl call is often used in the dark to get a response so you know where they are roosting.  I have had some success withthat, but I find on the roost they will gobble on their own and largely at each other, if they are in the mood to gobble.  The crow call is a bit more natural during the day and you can really make a nice loud call with a little practice.  I hear them shock gobble a lot but I also hear crows all day and most of the time they are ignored.  I prefer to use my box call and try to get them to respond to my yelps.  I don't have a gobbler call but am debating getting one.  I only hunt my own private property but you still have to be real careful if you are going to use a gobbler call in the woods.

Having said all that, I always pack my owl and crow call in my vest just in case!  Good luck.   

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 08:31:42 PM »
I have only used the owl hooter, and I use it before daylight to locate roosting birds, and only with limited success. I find it best to spend the time in the evening to locate where the birds are roosting by listening for them to fly up to the trees. This really takes the guess work out of where you need to be in the morning. After I work my way in and get set up in the morning, I like to break out the  Straight Creek Calls right at daylight and softly yelp to let the birds know that I'm set up and ready for the big fly down. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, but it still make the hair on the back of my neck stand up when they bust loose on the roost. Good luck to
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Online DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • one cold day
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 08:34:11 PM »
duane, their are dozens of them...I use to be successful with the owl but I think their use to that now...and the crow call works only sometimes...they hate each other ;D,  I've got a peacock call thats horrendous but it has worked once in a while..and I've heard of now that a rooster crowing does it too and they have a rooster call...... @--0--0117........but I've heard from a lot of turkey hunters when their hot they'll gobble to a pot and pan banging ;D @--0--0118
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline gamecock

• 4 Point
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 11:31:28 PM »
Don't get wrapped up in the hype of this locator vs. that one. I would say don't use much more than an owl hooter before the horizon starts to get pink though.  I spooked a bird off the roost once by crow calling in the dark.  That was a bonehead move right there.  ##$%#13 @--0--0129

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 06:20:32 AM »
  When I go out in the early morning, I listen for the gobbles, if I don't hear anything, I will use my box call to try to elicit a response from a roosted tom, then try to move in closer.  A friend of mine uses one of those shaker type  gobble call to locate roosted toms, but he's careful where and how he uses it.  As someone already mentioned, toms will gobble on their own while roosted.   I once attended a turkey hunting seminar by the NWTF, and they had a seminar on turkey calling, and using locator calls.  The man (who was supposed to be some kind of hotshot turkey hunter) told us he no longer used owl calls or crow calls, as everyone else used them.  Instead he used a varmint call, and would give it a couple of good blows.  He said toms seemed to respond much better to the varmint call.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Duane72

• 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 06:40:41 AM »
  ...I once attended a turkey hunting seminar by the NWTF, and they had a seminar on turkey calling, and using locator calls.  The man (who was supposed to be some kind of hotshot turkey hunter) told us he no longer used owl calls or crow calls, as everyone else used them.  Instead he used a varmint call, and would give it a couple of good blows.  He said toms seemed to respond much better to the varmint call.

Do you mean a distress call or howl? That's a pretty wild idea. Never heard that one before. But I guess he knew what he was talking about.

I'm gathering a lot of different things work for different people... and different toms too.
USAF Veteran

Offline illinoisdeerhunter

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 07:14:24 AM »
I carry the following:

Barred Owl
Pileated Woodpecker/Peacock
'yote howler
Crow
The outdoors...a family tradition!

Offline Yellowhammer

• Spike
  • Alabama Crimson Tide 2009 National Champions
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 09:22:31 AM »
I have an owl and a crow.

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 09:32:21 AM »
I have an owl and a crow.

Same here.   Some days they respond to one and not the other.  There doesn't seem to be any rhyme of reason for it.  Maybe on gets overused and they quit responding or something.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline sirrobbinhood

• 2014/2015 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
  • 8 Point
  • I love being in the woods!
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 10:01:42 AM »
I have used an Owl Hoot and a crow call.  I have had them gobble in the morning with my owl hoot but I have never got one to gobble with my crow call.  My buddy has a peacock call that he uses and I think he has had some success with that.  He also has the hawk call too.  I say buy a couple and see which one works best for your area.  I know my buddy has a lot of hawks where he hunt which is why he got the hawk...I don't know why he got the peacock but he says it works. 
"Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum"
"Stuff happens when you party naked"
NRA Patron Member
NAH Lifetime Member
Former Air Force Sniper 
Hunting and Fishing and loving every second of it!
Been waiting a long time for this...
2014/15 Deer Hunting Champions team member!!! 
Sir Pointsalot

Offline Duane72

• 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 07:32:10 PM »
Thanks everyone! I think I am really leaning toward an owl call. I think it would be much more natural in the mornings too. The land I hunt almost demands I call before sunup to ensure I'm where I need to be. I can't always roost them in the evenings in other words. So I really want something I can use before sunup with the least concern.
USAF Veteran

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 08:15:43 PM »
  ...I once attended a turkey hunting seminar by the NWTF, and they had a seminar on turkey calling, and using locator calls.  The man (who was supposed to be some kind of hotshot turkey hunter) told us he no longer used owl calls or crow calls, as everyone else used them.  Instead he used a varmint call, and would give it a couple of good blows.  He said toms seemed to respond much better to the varmint call.

Do you mean a distress call or howl? That's a pretty wild idea. Never heard that one before. But I guess he knew what he was talking about.

I'm gathering a lot of different things work for different people... and different toms too.

Distress call, like a dying rabbit. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 03:51:49 PM »
I use crow call mostly and hoot with my voice!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline bugfixer

• Administrator
  • 12 Point
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 04:35:56 PM »
I have a Primos Hoot Flute and a Knight & Hale's Magnum Crow. I use the Hoot Flute right at the break of dawn to locate. The crow call I use later in the morning.

New Page 3

Google Ad