New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Rhino choke with Winchester Extended Range shells?  (Read 4122 times)

Offline outdoorsman

• Prize Winner
  • 4 Point
Rhino choke with Winchester Extended Range shells?
« on: March 06, 2010, 09:37:02 PM »
Has anyone tried the Rhino choke with the Winchesters Extended Range shells yet?  I was wondering how they performed with this combination.  (3 inch ,#4 shot).  Last year I used the Nitros 4x5x7s with the Rhino choke but they are quite expensive!

Offline dobbie

• 6 Point
Re: Rhino choke with Winchester Extended Range shells?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 11:21:00 PM »
I use a Pure Gold choke. I am trying the Nitros this year. I recently shot the new Hevi shot Magnum blend 5X6X7. Super pattern. You might want to try these.

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • one cold day
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 09:53:45 AM »
I've never tried it...all I use is an extra full turkey choke with #6 winchester magnum copper coated turkey loads...works everytime...I do baqck it up with a 2nd shot of #4 same make @--0--0118
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline gobblestopper

• Fawn
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 06:13:06 PM »
Never tried the choke, but I love the Winchester Extended range. I forgot to change chokes last year and killed a jake at 30yrds with a modified choke and #5 3in extended range.

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 06:29:48 PM »
I use a Gobblin Thunder turkey choke by Kick's. I've heard nothing but good feed back on both the Rhino and Pure Gold chokes. I shoot Winchester Supreme High Velocity #5 shot 3 1/2 inch. I've been very pleased with that load. I'd like to try the extended range loads however, I've had such good success with what I've been using it hard to change but I'm always looking for anything to gain that extra advantage..... @--0--0118
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline outdoorsman

• Prize Winner
  • 4 Point
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 08:38:03 PM »
Update!  Today I tried the Winchester Extended Range in my Browning Gold Hunter (3 in.)  with the Rhino choke at 40 yards.  Then I tried those much cheaper shells -the Remington Nitros (#4 shot) .  I noticed that there wasn"t any noticable difference between the two.  I haven"t  tried the Hevi Shot shells yet.  I may try them next!   But I had better hurry because Alabama"s  turkey season starts next week!    Thanks for sharing your results!

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 04:52:10 PM »
I shoot a rhino with 4x6x7 3 inch shells and it is awesome i have shot the Win extended range and they really work too-- You may want to try the Remington Duplex shells 4s and 6s mixed- They are awesome- if you sighted in for the Nitros the Duplex will shoot a little lower- all of these rounds are devastating at 40-45 yards a least for me they are ;D
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline keith5579

• Fawn
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 07:48:58 PM »
I'm using the Rhino .660 and Nitros H378I outta my Benelli M2 with excellent results.  Prior to the Nitros, I was shooting Hevi Shot #5 and was less than satisfied.  I tried the Rhino .660 and the Jellyhead with the Hevi Shot and the results were similar.  

I'd like to try the Winchester XR, but I dont think they will do as good as the Nitros.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 07:51:12 PM by keith5579 »

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 07:17:27 AM »
Looks like that will get the job done. How many yards away from the target were you on that shot?
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline keith5579

• Fawn
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 11:23:03 PM »
Looks like that will get the job done. How many yards away from the target were you on that shot?

40 yards.

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 05:35:40 AM »

40 yards.

If I'm reading your target correctly, the shot was clustered in a 10" x 10" pattern.  If so, at 40 yds that is one tight pattern.  I would think you almost need a scope or a red dot sight.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline outdoorsman

• Prize Winner
  • 4 Point
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 03:48:30 PM »
Update!  After seeing what the hevi-shot #6 shell did to the ol' toms head this morning, I think I will probably start buying these in the future. I was impressed with the way this hevi- shot  shot thru the brush!   I normally use #4 shot in other shells but thought I would try #6s  since this was a heavier load.  I'm glad I did!   I shot from a 3 inch Mossburg with just a Mossburg screw-in. choke.  Also, they're about 1/3 of the cost of Nitros 4x5x7's.  I think I'll be buying more of these Hevi- shots!

Offline keith5579

• Fawn
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 12:18:10 AM »

40 yards.

If I'm reading your target correctly, the shot was clustered in a 10" x 10" pattern.  If so, at 40 yds that is one tight pattern.  I would think you almost need a scope or a red dot sight.

Got my eye on a Burris FastFire red dot. 

New Page 3

Google Ad