New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: toughest tom you have ever taken? lessons to be learned by all.  (Read 1097 times)

Offline hawghunter65

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Droptine
how did you take him, what tricks might you have used, what behaviors of his did you notice or what hunting changes did you make to get your shot?

mine was a dominant tom who was always henned up with about 15-20 hens at a time.  knew where he and his girlfriends roosted but the hens would always lead him away gobbling at my calls with them away from my seductive calling.  i guess 15 ladies in hand was a better deal for him then my calling.  LOL.  finally, after about the 8th or 9th time of being frustrated i began to follow them about 100 yards parallel behind them keeping ridges between me and them.  this went on for about a 1/4 mile with him gobbling at my yelps but still slowly feeding and going away.  i had a brain flash and decided to quickly move ahead of them quietly and setting up quickly clucked once softly just below the ridge top on the opposite side of him and his flock and shut up with my shotgun trained on the top of the ridge top.  you betcha (dumb luck then) in about 3 minutes mr. tom poked his head over the top in full strut.  when he came out of strut and straightened up a load of 6's finished the job, my only double bearded tom to date with a 24" fan.

><((           

@--0--0138
Brad Gordon, Staff Writer TH
52 years of chasing fur and feathers
NRA member
Past member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Member National Wild Turkey Federation
WTI user, grower, and believer
Matthew's bows
"Bone Collector" Team Member

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
Re: toughest tom you have ever taken? lessons to be learned by all.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 05:06:15 PM »

ok this is easy one...

my part of it was easy! i just had to pull the trigger of the gun

the hardest part was up to mike he showed me what it took to find set up and call one in it was a great learining  time with him!

hope this year repeats it self some way shape or form!
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 10:51:09 PM »
toughest mbird taken was on e that I worked with a mouth call for  2 1/2 hours (whew) talk about tired jaws ##$%#117...I tried every trick call I could think of even a gobbler call...what worked..I sat my buddy down and I moved away about 50 yards and called ......buddy got him he still wanted to pace at 70 yards or so @--0--0118
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline Possum

Toughest tom you have ever taken? lessons to be learned by all.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 10:26:26 AM »
I don't know if this was tough or not I had setup on a old logging Road that ran a Ridge that ran at the top of two Hardwood bottoms.
I had a Bird working for about a hour but it shut up when the Timber Company cranked the Saw's up nearby...
It was getting Warm around 10:00 AM and heard leaves cracking eased my head left to look just as a 5 foot King Snake crawled under and out from under my stool.
I about freaked out but remained still when within 5 min's here comes another Snake following the same path... As I watched as that Snake crawled away I caught
out of my right eye a Tom running as fast as a Bird can run at a Jake decoy and Hen's I had setup about 30 yards away...
This Bird would have made the Road Runner proud as he zoomed within 10 feet from where I was setup running full steam as I pulled the trigger on a 22 LB 11" Beard Alabama Turkey.
Now sitting still as Snakes crawled under you was what was tough.
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline Duane72

• 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 12:50:45 PM »
He's the only one I've taken to date. Spent 5 hours calling that day with two friends. Had hens sitting 2 feet off my 12 gauge barrel (THAT took control! LOL) but no toms. We moved locations several times and just couldn't get them to come in. Sitting behind some hay bails next to the field we finally got the hint. So we were sitting up, talking, no whispers, no calls, just chatting away and he steps out into the field 40 yards away. I bring up on him and my friend ranges him as he walks in. At 30 yards he starts getting spooked so I didn't wait any longer. Pulled the trigger and downed him.
USAF Veteran
Bow, Shotgun, & Muzzleloader Hunter
Acts 10:13 "...Get up, Peter, kill and eat!"
Proverbs 12:27 "...the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt."

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 04:36:52 PM »
I had a Tom in Pa 2 years ago that slept with his hens. I hunted him for 4 days- he was in the same tree everyday with 10 hens. i couldn't even get a subordinite gobble rto come in he had beat down so bad-- I would set up clos eand call little but the hens would alway carry him away from me. So I try to get to where they were going for days 2 and 3- same deal i would call once and boom they would go the other wayii day 4 I got in close and shut up The hens flew down and walked right by with hin in tow-- 20lbs 10 inch beard 1-1/4 hooks before 7:10am I would rather be lucky than good!!!! --099-780
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 05:09:59 PM »
I'd been hunting this river bottom for several years. I got to the top of a huge ridge that was about 250 yards up from the river well before day light. I hit my owl hooter and a gobbler sounded off but I new he was across the river. A few minutes later another gobbler sounded off to my right and I new he was on my side of the river so I decided to work that bird. It was still dark so I walked along the top of this ridge for about 100 yards and set up. I give a light tree call and the gobbler sounded off about 75 yards straight in front of me. Man I though I'm in the driver's seat on this bird. That's what I get for thinking. About 20 minutes after day break I saw the gobbler fly off the roost and right across the river he went. Now that was not in the plan at all. In the mean time the bird that was across the river was gobbling his head off but he sounded much closer. I got up and went back across the top of the ridge to where I had started that morning. I started cutting and this gobbler just exploded right down on the river (on my side this time). I took out my binoculars and I could see this gobbler and eight hens at the bottom of this huge ridge in full strut next to the river. I'd call he'd gobble. This went on for 10 to 15 minutes but I realized that he was not leaving these hens.

It was already light and I knew from my position there was no way to get down this ridge without spooking these birds. After watching them for a few minutes I decided to move along the top of the ridge going down stream about 100 yard and drop of into the bottom and get in front of them. Once I made my way down in the bottom I eased up over this small hill to see where the birds where. Well guess what...I went the wrong way the birds were working and feeding up stream. Wow...you've got to understand that this ridge I had just went down is an absolute killer of a hill. (Heart break ridge for sure no joke.) The birds were moving pretty good so back up this ridge I go as fast as I can. One I reach the top I am so out of breath it's no funny. I collected myself for a minute and headed back across the top of the ridge to the original spot I had started  with a tree call early that morning. I'm located back about 50 yards from the top of this ridge just standing there when I hear something walking in the leaves on the other side of the ridge. All of a sudden a hen came over the ridge an walked within 15 yards of me just standing there. Once she passed I got on my belly and crawl to the top of the ridge where I could see over the edge. Just as I got there here come another hen about 10 yards to my right. I was flat on my belly. Once she passed I started looking for the gobbler down the ridge. Nothing so I did a couple of yelps and he cut me off with a thunderous gobble. Now I'm looking down this ridge knowing he's right in front of me laying flat gun up just waiting. My heart is pounding as I can hear this bird spittin and drumming. As I looked all of a sudden I saw his fan come out from behind this huge white oak tree about 25 yards to my left down the hill. Man my blood was pumping then. Once he stepped out from behind the tree still strutting I clucked and when that head went up I let him eat some number 5's. It was 10 minutes till 11 and I really had to work for that bird. Nice three year old with an eleven inch beard.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline gamecock

• 4 Point
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 09:27:25 PM »
I think Split toe has everyone topped so far.  I'm still waiting to drop a bird.  Last season was the first time in years that I hunted turkeys seriously (more than one or two hunts during the season).  I'm hoping to have some success.  Maybe I'll have a good "war story" to tell come end of April.  Heck, hopefully I'll have a good story come the end of the day April 1st.

Offline hawghunter65

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 08:07:52 PM »
not only great stories guys but lessons for all of us to try and use when confronted with a similar situation.  keep em coming.

@--0--0138
Brad Gordon, Staff Writer TH
52 years of chasing fur and feathers
NRA member
Past member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Member National Wild Turkey Federation
WTI user, grower, and believer
Matthew's bows
"Bone Collector" Team Member

Offline nontypical

• Fawn
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
                               While most turkeys seem to be a challenge, there is one that sticks out in my mind. I hunt in north central PA where there is heavy hunting pressure. The number one rule up here is patience, however this bird took patience to the extreme. He first gobbled at 5:25. Close to 6:00 his hens started flying down with him following a few moments later. To make a very long story short, I moved on the birds 4 times only covering a total of about 125 yards. I finally convinced one of his hens to come in with him in tow. This was the fourth time I saw him and it still took a forty seven yard shot to put him down- somehow they always seem closer than they really are! When I looked at my watch it was 10:05. Four and a half hours after a heard him gobble the hunt was over. While I enjoy the Birds that will come running in, there is something rewarding about getting a tough bird to commit and come in.

GOOD LUCK THIS SPRING FELLOW HUNTERS

Offline Chuck_in_VA

• Spike
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 09:59:57 PM »
The tougest Toms I have taken was one where I got caught in the middle of a logging road by two hens who decided to take a seat in a tree about 30 yards from me.  Had to stand frozen for 30 minutes while I could hear the tom stutting and fanning just out of site on top of the ridge under them.  Luckly I use a mouth call and gave a few clucks and the hens flew back down and I was able to ease around the ridge and get in a position to take him.  Had a 10 1/4" beard about 22 lbs 1" spurs.  Needless I learned patience that day along with not panicking when faced with a situation.

New Page 3

Google Ad