New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Didn't get a turkey license!  (Read 2954 times)

Offline fishingfooltim

• Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
    • Up North Journal
Re: Didn't get a turkey license!
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 01:14:49 PM »
Hmmmm...me, Red and UNJ...no licenses...something is going on here!  there's a conspiricy!!! @--0--0109
I got mine and so did my son. Ha Ha.  Of course my was the guaranteed late season so I guess that doesn't count does it.  Hey at least the kids got them.  That is the best part.
Up North Journal Team Member
www.upnorthjournal.com
NRA Member
NWTF Member

Offline Snortweeze

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 01:17:05 PM »
Sorry to hear that Kevin, But at least you can focus on Camogirls hunt. Good louck.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline tiller

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
    • Hooks & Bullets Magazine
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 03:16:38 PM »
That is bad news. Hope you get one later. And good luck getting camogirl on a big bird.
Michigan's Hooks & Bullets Magazine, Co-owner / Publisher
First Flights Aviation Services, Aerial Photography
Cutting Edge Bindery LLC

Offline hawghunter65

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 03:31:45 PM »
check on the 8th and 15th for leftover licenses.  otherwise can always get the general license for the month of may

@--0--0138
Brad Gordon, Staff Writer TH
52 years of chasing fur and feathers
NRA member
Past member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Member National Wild Turkey Federation
WTI user, grower, and believer
Matthew's bows
"Bone Collector" Team Member

Offline deerhtn

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 04:34:09 PM »
check on the 8th and 15th for leftover licenses.  otherwise can always get the general license for the month of may

@--0--0138
yea, there are a few left over that I am going to try for on the 8th.  It's the first full week in May.  I had applied for the first and second weeks in April....oh well.  I hope I can snag one of the leftovers

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 08:22:44 PM »
too bad ur not in NY deerhtn we don't have draws just buy a permit for the state....lots of birds in NY @--0--0118  someday you guys will have that priviledge just as soon as they build up your population....it'll be fast if properly done @--0--0118
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 08:32:43 PM »
too bad ur not in NY deerhtn we don't have draws just buy a permit for the state....lots of birds in NY @--0--0118  someday you guys will have that priviledge just as soon as they build up your population....it'll be fast if properly done @--0--0118

It's not just that we don't have enough birds, the state has figured out how to make more money out of us.  We have turkey licenses for both private and public property. So you have to determine which one you want or need.  You can't use private licenses on public ground and viseversa.  We also have like 3 different seasons, each is different in length, and we also have the guaranteed season, which is the one fishingfooltim was talking about.  There is a time period when you can apply for the draws, or you can wait until the draw for the leftover licenses.  The guaranteed season is OTC, but you buy the tag in January, and must wait until May to hunt.  The guaranteed season lasts for almost a full month.  It's a screwy system.

Oh, I almost forgot.  There are umpteen different zones, so when you apply for the draw, you have to specify the zone, whether public or private, and which hunt you want.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 08:35:22 PM by MichiganLouie »
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 08:35:53 PM »
too bad ur not in NY deerhtn we don't have draws just buy a permit for the state....lots of birds in NY @--0--0118  someday you guys will have that priviledge just as soon as they build up your population....it'll be fast if properly done @--0--0118

It's not just that we don't have enough birds, the state has figured out how to make more money out of us.  We have turkey licenses for both private and public property. So you have to determine which one you want or need.  You can't use private licenses on public ground and viseversa.  We also have like 3 different seasons, each is different in length, and we also have the guaranteed season, which is the one fishingfooltim was talking about.  There is a time period when you can apply for the draws, or you can wait until the draw for the leftover licenses.  The guaranteed season is OTC, but you buy the tag in January, and must wait until May to hunt.  The guaranteed season lasts for almost a full month.  It's a screwy system.

michigan louie u got me scratching my head.    ##$%#1119...why can't they make it simple if they have enough birds @--0--0117
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline ddejong

• Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 08:50:16 PM »
Sorry to hear that -- Glad I don't have to be in a draw, but I know my brother in law up in Minnesota does.  You can always come down here to KS or MO and buy one over the counter!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 08:52:29 PM »

It's not just that we don't have enough birds, the state has figured out how to make more money out of us.  We have turkey licenses for both private and public property. So you have to determine which one you want or need.  You can't use private licenses on public ground and viseversa.  We also have like 3 different seasons, each is different in length, and we also have the guaranteed season, which is the one fishingfooltim was talking about.  There is a time period when you can apply for the draws, or you can wait until the draw for the leftover licenses.  The guaranteed season is OTC, but you buy the tag in January, and must wait until May to hunt.  The guaranteed season lasts for almost a full month.  It's a screwy system.
[/quote]

michigan louie u got me scratching my head.    ##$%#1119...why can't they make it simple if they have enough birds @--0--0117
[/quote]

Re-read the second part of my first sentence.    Actually, as confusing as it seems, they have made some improvements, such as the licenses for the guaranteed season are available otc.  A few years back, there was no guaranteed season.  Also, you can check online to see what type of permits and how many are available for each area. You can also check to see if your name was drawn, and check if there are any leftover permits.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 09:35:13 PM »
Sorry you didn't get drawn, I guess I'm lucky, I get two turkey tags with my general hunting license every year just for buying the license, one for the spring and one for the fall. Maybe you should move  --099-780
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010, 08:42:12 AM »
Bummer, good luck getting a leftover license.     I've always been able to get one, not necessarily where I "wanted" to hunt  but it still got me out in the woods.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Blocko

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
  • Hunt and Fish
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 10:20:01 AM »
It sounds like the state of MI is trying to increase the turkey population by keeping the UNJ guys at bay.  Sorry to hear you guys didn't get drawn.  Hopefully, you'll get some opportunity with the leftovers.
I got mine and so did my dad...but that's private land and here in the U.P. it seems a bit easier to get drawn.  You're always welcome to come up here for "turkey camp".
BIG THANKS to all the Great Sponsors!!!!!

NRA member
2010 Talk Hunting Turkey Championship - 2nd place
President of Block Design & Construction Services, Inc.
Michigan Professional Engineer

Offline deerhtn

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2010, 11:51:44 AM »
It sounds like the state of MI is trying to increase the turkey population by keeping the UNJ guys at bay.  Sorry to hear you guys didn't get drawn.  Hopefully, you'll get some opportunity with the leftovers.
I got mine and so did my dad...but that's private land and here in the U.P. it seems a bit easier to get drawn.  You're always welcome to come up here for "turkey camp".
I've only been turkey hunting for a few years and public is all I have access too...I'm hoping to get a leftover license for a different date.  You got lots of turkeys in your area?

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2010, 11:55:17 AM »
I've only been turkey hunting for a few years and public is all I have access too...I'm hoping to get a leftover license for a different date.  You got lots of turkeys in your area?

Kevin i think they are againt all members of the UNJ crew! @--0--0127
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

New Page 3

Google Ad