New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Question for management......  (Read 971 times)

Offline ghost

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
Question for management......
« on: February 27, 2010, 07:34:02 PM »
I know we're trying to bring back the population of turkeys in La, and it's working slowly but surely. My question is, out of a normal nest of eggs, what is the average tom to hen ration that will be produced. Additionally, is there anything that can be done to help increase the number of toms produced?  @--0--0104
Courage is not about medals.
It's simple, you run towards the gun fire not away from it.     Semper Fi....

Offline cobrican

• 12 Point
    • Sawyer Consulting LLC
Re: Question for management......
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 08:38:09 PM »
well............ Nature will dictate most of that.  The ratio has alot to do with population.  Nature will bring a species to a healthy ratio, barring any outside influences.  Another large factor is Luck.  A brood may be anywhere from six to a dozen poults.  In most cases, I think we're lucky if half of those survive the first year.  Inclimate weather conditions, predators, fire (both wild and prescribed, and a slew of other natural factors cause early termination of young'ens.  In most cases, there will be more hens in a brood than gobblers.  That is the nature of the species.  I believe that one of the greatest influences we can have on our turkey population is active management.  Most of us manage for deer, but view turkeys as a by-product of deer management.  While that can happen, we can do more.  Prescribed fire in a pine forest is excellent for turkeys.  Also planting crops that turkeys can thrive in.  Most of us can mix in a good grain with our clovers and help out alot.  Helping to reduce predation in your area will also help.  I think your best bet for more Toms is to increase the overall number of turkeys in the area.  Work on the whole population.
Sawyer Consulting LLC
Consultant for hunting Properties
Forestry & Wildlife Management
-Licensed Commercial Applicator
-Friend to TH Members
-Promotional Marketing for hunting companies
www.sawyerconsultingllc.com
Blue Collar Decoys; Gulf region sales rep

Online BeaglePup

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 08:43:54 PM »
well............ Nature will dictate most of that.  The ratio has alot to do with population.  Nature will bring a species to a healthy ratio, barring any outside influences.  Another large factor is Luck.  A brood may be anywhere from six to a dozen poults.  In most cases, I think we're lucky if half of those survive the first year.  Inclimate weather conditions, predators, fire (both wild and prescribed, and a slew of other natural factors cause early termination of young'ens.  In most cases, there will be more hens in a brood than gobblers.  That is the nature of the species.  I believe that one of the greatest influences we can have on our turkey population is active management.  Most of us manage for deer, but view turkeys as a by-product of deer management.  While that can happen, we can do more.  Prescribed fire in a pine forest is excellent for turkeys.  Also planting crops that turkeys can thrive in.  Most of us can mix in a good grain with our clovers and help out alot.  Helping to reduce predation in your area will also help.  I think your best bet for more Toms is to increase the overall number of turkeys in the area.  Work on the whole population.

Well said and I agree.  If you want more information on Turkey Management as a whole or in your area FGO to the National Wild Turkey Federation web site.  THey have great info there and contact information for Local clubs in your area.
NRA, Buckmaster, NWTF Member
'09 Eastern Anniversary Party
'10 NE Anniversary Party
'10 Old Spanish Fort Hunt TH Hog Hunt
'11 Treasure Hill Outfitters Turkey Hunt
'11 & '12 Summer Blast, Pennyrile SP, KY
FO of the Eastern Star

Offline rhawkins

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 09:49:49 PM »
Mother nature will take care of the boy girl ratio. 
Randy Hawkins
USAF, MSgt (ret)
Lifetime NRA Member
NWTF Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman

Deer Hunting and Land/Wildlife Management Rocks

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 01:16:47 PM »
tough question...need a state biologist for the ratio,  I know NY had a very successful program, we started with just a few turkeys in the alleghanys near PA (probably PA turks) and transfered them around the state for a few years.....now their is turkey everywhere you go and even in the adirondacks where we were told they wouldnt survive but their there in great populations now....I've seen as many as 15 eggs in a nest but I dont know the ratio @--0--0117
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline snapper

• 4 Point
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 01:29:05 PM »
I agree with all that was said but in our area predation is the worst enemy of a young turkey . Have seen broods go from many to one or two to six weeks

Offline BubbaBrown

• Life is good at The Deer Camp!
    • The Deer Camp
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 01:32:19 PM »

Well said cobrican, you have to manage for turkeys, if you want a good turkey population on your hunting property.
Semi-Retired & Over the Hill

2009 TalkHunting Sportsman of the Year
www.thedeercamp.com
2009 TALK HUNTING WILD GAME COOK-OFF CHAMPION
Cpl. USMC 1970-1972, MOS 6064, Parachute Rigger

Offline hawghunter65

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 04:34:01 PM »
i would imagine that female chicks outnumber the male chicks as in most species but do not know the exact ratio.  remember male chicks leave the female hen in the fall but the female chicks leave in the spring.  hence, one of the reasons male jakes are more apt to be killed when young without the female hens protection.  worst enemy of turkeys is the raccoon which find the nests and eat them.  control coon, fox, and coyote populations and leave a nesting field for protection with cover that chicks can escape in.

@--0--0138
Brad Gordon, Staff Writer TH
52 years of chasing fur and feathers
NRA member
Past member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Member National Wild Turkey Federation
WTI user, grower, and believer
Matthew's bows
"Bone Collector" Team Member

Offline Possum

Question for management......
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 08:48:43 PM »
Hey I went over to the Hunting Club this weekend to take a look at my Food Plot or what's left of it...
It looked like someone had mowed over the 1 1/2 Acre plot with a Lawn mower on the number 2 low setting...
The clover looked great and the Turkey's had fertilized one end of it to the other (Turkey Poop)
I almost went back home and grab my Trail Camera's to set back out....
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline cowmanhunter

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 07:53:59 AM »
As hawghunter said predator control especially coons is very important. On one property here in Florida over 500 coons was removed and the turkey population doubled in a single year, so yeh its important.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 08:00:22 AM by cowmanhunter »
CMH
32 years hunting experiece and learning daily.
If Your Gonna Be Stupid You Gotta Be Tough.
If you find yourself in a hole, The first thing you do is stop digging.
Phill. 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice!

Offline ghost

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 09:21:08 AM »
Like cobrican said I'm trying to manage for deer and do what I can for the turkeys I see on my property as I am not an avid turkey hunter. So my interest are mainly for educational purposes. Being a landowner I want to do what ever I can to help all the wildlife on my land so I can enjoy watching, harvesting and passing them on to my kids and grandkids.
Appreciate all the info.
Courage is not about medals.
It's simple, you run towards the gun fire not away from it.     Semper Fi....

New Page 3

Google Ad