New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: turkry decoy setup  (Read 1080 times)

Offline kyhareraiser

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
turkry decoy setup
« on: February 22, 2010, 05:45:21 PM »
  how does everyone set up their decoys.. i set mine up with the jake facing me ,abot 20-25 yards  and the hens i put 1 on each side facing diffrent ways..both gobblers i killed last year walked (or strutted ) to the front of the decoy and that gave me a good close shot.. 
When the hammer drops............the bullcrap stops

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • one cold day
Re: turkry decoy setup
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 05:51:54 PM »
I do it about the same way , in spring I have a couple of hens with a jake but I have the jake face the hens...in the fall Im put out any bunch of turkeys usually splitting the toms from the hens...thats how they usually travel fall time..only poults stick together...... @--0--0118
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline Possum

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 05:58:36 PM »
I do it about the same way , in spring I have a couple of hens with a jake but I have the jake face the hens...in the fall Im put out any bunch of turkeys usually splitting the toms from the hens...thats how they usually travel fall time..only poults stick together...... @--0--0118

I am pretty much like DPD... I have setup with a Jake over looking a Squatting Hen but 90% of the Time my Jake is 10-15 Yards away facing 2 to 3 hens....
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline hawghunter65

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 06:38:17 PM »
most of the time only use a hen or none at all. 

@--0--0138
Brad Gordon, Staff Writer TH
52 years of chasing fur and feathers
NRA member
Past member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Member National Wild Turkey Federation
WTI user, grower, and believer
Matthew's bows
"Bone Collector" Team Member

Offline rhawkins

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 06:46:25 PM »
I usually set both hens about 20 yards from my spot and split the Tom between both.  It also depends on the spot that I am hunting.
Randy Hawkins
USAF, MSgt (ret)
Lifetime NRA Member
NWTF Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman

Deer Hunting and Land/Wildlife Management Rocks

Offline ddejong

• Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 09:02:51 PM »
I use a single hen, or maybe two.  I no longer use jakes or gobbler decoys unless I am incredibly frustrated.  Sometimes in the fall or the end of the Kansas season (when they are completely done breeding the last weekend of May) I will put up a half dozen decoys to imitate a small flock feeding.

Offline Mack

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 10:42:20 PM »
I use 2 hens most of the time facing away from where I think they turkeys are gonna come from about 20 yrds away from my blind so that they have to come past my blind and I can take a good shot......I usally don't use a jake till a little later in the season.....Mack

Offline snapper

• 4 Point
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 03:36:29 PM »
I use the hin squating last year and had an ausome show put on by an old tom t5rying to destroy my jake. got video of it but have to get off the tape to a disc then i might get it out to yall

Offline swampdog

• Spike
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 05:46:26 PM »
I use my jake and hens in about the same way as everyone is but I put my jake facing away from me if the jake is facing you I don't want the tom to come in and face the jake then the toms back is facing you and I would like the tom to be facing me to get a good head shot.

Offline gamecock

• 4 Point
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 11:56:15 PM »
I usually use a hen and a jake with the jake about 20 yards away, facing me and the hen about 5 yards in front of the jake.  I used to have the hen in a feeding position, but a buddy has convinced me to try and put her on the ground this year in a breeding position.  I'm gonna give it a shot and see how how it works.

Offline hunter293

• Spike
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 10:22:27 AM »
Iuse a jake and hen as well, with the hen in the feeding pos. but puting her on the ground sounds worth a try thanks

New Page 3

Google Ad