New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Poll

What camo pattern is best for turkey hunting?

Do turkeys spot you?
2 (50%)
Favorite Camo?
2 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Do turkeys see uv rays in your camo clothing?  (Read 3104 times)

Offline outdoorsman

• Prize Winner
  • 4 Point
Do turkeys see uv rays in your camo clothing?
« on: February 05, 2010, 03:18:45 PM »
Can turkeys see bright UV Rays in your camo clothing?   Do you always seem to be spotted by an approaching tom  regardless of how well you"re hidden?   What camo pattern do you like best?

Offline kjb-4320

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
Re: Do turkeys see uv rays in your camo clothing?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 03:44:26 PM »
I don't know the answer to the first part. I haven't been busted yet ,I use Realtree AP Green and a face net . Those big toms can see for miles any movement and your BUSTED
NAHC Life Member
NAFC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • one cold day
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 04:58:40 PM »
I've got old camo and new camo and wear them both, probably some of the old has uv lighting, turkeys will spot you, if you move, in anything...I don't know what they can see but I know that I've shot turkeys with the old and new camo...the main thing is movement....as for the favorite camo where I'm from in NY...real tree or mossy oak works well but down south it maybe different .......wherever your from check the area out and fiqure what looks good...personnally I don't think it matters as long as your shape is broken up...my opinion only @--0--0117
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 06:33:59 PM »
My hunting coat is my old woodland camo field jacket.  Not the greatest pattern in the world, but seems to work, as long as the turkeys don't catch me moving.  I had a hen that got spooked by my two decoys, and she in turn, spooked a tom that was coming in (he was just a little too far out, imo.)  After he ran off, she kept pecking around, and eventually got to 10yds away from me and she never even knew I was sitting there. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline mabuhr

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 07:13:20 PM »
Yes turkeys do see UV rays on your gear. I always wash my gear ALL OF IT hat backpack blind so on with a UV blocking soap a day or two before season, but don't forget don't move or they will spot you that you can not hide. @--0--0109
NAHC life member

Offline ddejong

• Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
They do see the UV, and you should spray UV Killer on all of it.  But, as mentioned, they detect even the slightest movement, and they have an unearthly sixth sense that tells them something just isn't right at times.  IF they could smell like a whitetail, they would all die of old age.

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 09:15:48 PM »
Yes they do see UV...I like Mossy Oak Obsession camo for Turkey hunting!!!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline mabuhr

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 07:26:19 AM »
Remember even though turkeys don't smell much put on all your sent killer if a deer scents you the turkeys will bolt with the deer.  @--0--0101
NAHC life member

Offline hawghunter65

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 12:08:32 PM »
if turkeys can see the white, red and blue on a tom's head and respond to that stimulus, i have to believe they see UV.  movement is their first defense and with a 360 degree sight radius if they turn their heads only 20 degrees. uncanny hearing as i've had them hear a safety being pushed to fire at 30 yards and clucks on my calls at over 300 yards across a lake on a quiet morning.  i agree with the above comment, if they could smell like a whitetail and didn't have a small bird brain they would awful hard to kill.

@--0--0138
Brad Gordon, Staff Writer TH
52 years of chasing fur and feathers
NRA member
Past member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Member National Wild Turkey Federation
WTI user, grower, and believer
Matthew's bows
"Bone Collector" Team Member

Offline outdoorsman

• Prize Winner
  • 4 Point
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 12:13:17 AM »
Well,  after attending a seminar last year,  the host made the comment about turkeys seeing uv rays in your clothing.  I have never thought about turkeys seeing uv rays but I have noticed that it has been getting harder and harder  to hide and not be seen the last couple of years despite being motionless.  Maybe I do need some new camo!  I just hate to buy new camo and then spray it with uv killer because the uv killer really does fade it.  But I guess that"s better than being seen!  Thanks!

Offline snapper

• 4 Point
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 04:34:02 AM »
uv rays are a pain us a soap that does not have the brighners in them

New Page 3

Google Ad