New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: What makes TalkHunting so great?  (Read 12446 times)

Offline copnjax

• 10 Point
  • My 10 pt. / 240 lb. Buck
Re: What makes TalkHunting so great?
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2011, 01:07:35 PM »
I honestly can't remember how I found the TH site but, once I did, I was hooked!  My wife says I spend more time with you all than I do her. 
Anyway....there are many reasons I like it so much here.  The friendliness of everyone here....the tips and advice shared by all here....great sponsors with good prices.......I could go on and on.  So, unless I'm ever found unworthy to be here, I'm here for the long haul.
Retired after 34 yrs. on Jacksonville (Fl.) Police Dept.  19 yrs. in patrol and last 15 yrs. in C.S.I.
Now I can hunt and go bass fishing anytime I want!  Started deer hunting in 2007 but, had many years as a teen hunting rabbits and squirrels.

Offline ameshell

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • 12.86lb Baby!
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2012, 10:10:49 PM »
Hello all,

I know that there is a thread going around about “What do you love about Talkhunting” but let tell you my story in a more personal way.

On April 04, 2010, at 03:21:12 AM, my life changed! AGAIN! I was browsing hunting websites looking for general information and tips on how to be a better hunter. I forget just exactly how I came across this website but I do know why I looked, it was the words “ Family Friendly”. When I registered for Talkhunting.com, I had no idea the journey I was about to take or the people that would be coming in to my life.

As those of you know, once you make your first post on here, you are hooked. I then began making friends and building relationships. I can remember seeing posts about how a fellow TH member had met up with other TH members and thinking “I want to do that”. It seemed that the more I found out about TH members, the more I wanted to meet them! This was NEVER my intention when joining the sight but soon became a goal of mine!

As time went on, I was then given the opportunity to become a staff writer for TH. Here again, this was never even a thought when joining the sight! I jumped at the opportunity and still feel the excitement of seeing something I wrote on the “World Wide Web”. I thank each of you for the encouragement and support of writing those articles.

Then I found out about the “Summer Blast and B4K.” OH MY GOD! Yes, this is it! My chance to meet many TH members and staff at one place! And then I thought “oh, it’s in Kentucky, how am I going to get the family to agree with this?” As time went on, I was able to convince the family that it would be a fun vacation for all of us and that we would be supporting B4K.

B4K holds a special place in our hearts as we have a special needs child. For those that don’t know, I have 2 daughters, one that is now 18, Macy, and one that turns 13 tomorrow, Katelyn. When Katelyn was born, there were complications. At first they seemed minor and no big issue. Then came the news that she would have to be transported to another hospital for emergency care. Me and my wife (Melody) were in shock. The next 52 days we spent every morning and evening by her side in ICU. Every day it was unsure of what the out come would be. Every day we told the Lord that this was in his hands and prayed for her to come home with us.

The days that we spent in ICU, seeing the babies that come in there and the issues that these Dr’s and Nurses face every day will take you to a place that not everyone should go. We’ve all seen the old commercials where a Dr is holding a small baby in the palm of his hand, but until you have seen a baby in person that weighs less than half a pound, you can not understand the feeling that you will get. I saw babies come in and then go home with their family, I also witnessed the times when the family had to be informed that their Daughter/Son did not make it.

We later learned that one of the only reasons Katelyn made it was that she was born full term and a healthy weight. Katelyn had over come life’s obstacles including going into full arrest and suffering a bleed to the brain. This is the reason for her being weak on her right side. In more simple terms, she had a heart attack and a stroke (3 times). It was a week later that Melody got to hold Katelyn for the first time. You can only image what that was like. The day when we found out that Katelyn would be coming home was one of many thanks and over whelming joy. And so the journey began, and here we are now, as I said before, she will be 13 tomorrow. To be at this point when not too long ago it was unsure if she would leave the hospital with us, is truly a blessing.

Ok, I was not trying to take you on a sad journey with that story, but I feel that it would help some of you to better understand why I am posting this. So, on with the story.

It was then settled, we were going to Kentucky for vacation! I was going out of my mind with excitement to say the least. In short, we arrived at the Summer Blast and was truly overwhelmed with what we experienced. Melody later confessed to me that she could not believe that I was dragging her to Kentucky on “Our” vacation, to talk to some “guys” about hunting! She also agreed that it was one of the best things we ever did!

So, the first Summer Blast came and went. Met some awesome people and made some great friends. Throughout the next year, I had the privilege of meeting other TH members and supporting TH. I also have had the privilege in helping B4K in spreading the word of the organization.

It is hard to imagine, but the Summer Blast this year was even more overwhelming than last year! Not only did I meet more great people, I became even closer to the ones I thought I already knew. I even had some trials of my own but was able to overcome them with the help of good friends. (That one sentence could be drawn out into a book, but you know who you are and what you did, THANK YOU). And then, same as last year, that feeling of doing a greater good came over me and my family and were very thankful for being part of such an awesome group of people. We all have friends, and we all have people we think are our friends, but when a person that you hope to gain the trust of one day tells you, without provocation, that he considers you a “close personal friend” and you know he meant it, it gives you a feeling of accomplishment, and that is how I felt when I left Kentucky yesterday.

Some people will never have that feeling of accomplishment in their lives, I have been fortunate enough to have felt it several times. Many of those times could not have been done without TH.

Thank you TH.

Anthony

Team "Big 10"
Team 3 Rack Addicts
Texas Peace Officer
Served in the US Navy

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2012, 05:33:15 AM »
ameshell - Anthony,
You have stated it so well.  I had attended two other Summer events without my wife.  When it was time to go to my first KY Summerblast I started working on the wife to go with me.  She finally agreed, the same as you wife, what fun could she have with a bunch of hunters.  She had been around hunters and fishermen all her life as her father was one.  Well when she got to Summerblast 2011 and met the other folks and learned how to play conhole, it was on.  She had me make reservations for SummerBlast 2012 right after we got home from SummerBlast 2011.  She wanted a cabin on the lake and that is what she got this year.  She bid more at the B4K auction than I did this year!!!

TalkHunting is a Family!!!
PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline capttrae

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • Mag Staff Writer
What makes TalkHunting so great?
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2012, 06:21:15 AM »
Ron (WKYHunter) told me about it been here ever scince. I would have no problem w/ Thomas joining bc there's no bashing, cussing,, or nothing else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2012, 06:32:19 AM »
Ameshell - anthhony

Your post express sell hat Talkhunting is about and why I am a member and why both HG and I attend all TH events we can.

Great Post, Thank you for sharing
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline OLD FLORIDA GATOR

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • OLD FLORIDA GATOR
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2012, 08:43:33 AM »
GOOD CLEAN ATMOSPHERE, VERY FRIENDLY , NO REAL BALONEY,  JUST GOOD COUNTRY FOLKS, GREAT INFORMATION. UP TO DATE, WELL MANAGED.
QDMA, NRA, LIFE LONG DEER HUNTER, OLD DOG HUNTER.UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA ALUMNI.
DEER MANAGER   QDMA DEER STEWARD 1

Offline bberger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2012, 09:34:07 AM »
stumbled across TH while just surfing the net, the more I came here, the more I loved it, the people are the best, the morals, (not like other sites where people feel they have to use bad language and drama to post anything).  TH feels like a big family, everyone is nice and the advice is top notch.
Bob Berger, Chief Engineer, WHBF, KGCW, ThisTV
Rock Island, IL

Offline pieboy

• Button Buck
  • The Lord is the reason I live life!
    • An art web site
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2012, 10:48:59 PM »
I attended a summer blast and had a blast. I love what this site stands for and am glad to be a part of it.
"Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline rdtj

• 6 Point
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2012, 03:21:14 PM »
I heard Talkhunting advertised on some old UpNorthJournal podcasts.  What has kept me here is the great people, and the cleanliness of the forums.  No bashing, no cursing, no flaming.  I can sit with my children and read the forums.  People are friendly and supportive here, not looking for a reason to attack you.  I'd say it's like family, but I'm the last of eight and a family get together doesn't seem to be able to occur without fighting.  It's more like a group of close friends.  You can speak your mind, you might get teased, but you will be accepted.

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2012, 08:37:57 PM »
It is the members whgo make this a great site. All of the members are always ready to help fellow members in any way they can.
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2013, 11:38:56 PM »
TH is just a bunch of humble & humorous folks who share a common love for the freedom we enjoy being outdoors.  I come here often these days - it only takes a few minutes to brighten my day.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2014, 05:22:23 PM »
The people! Has been, always will be! No other place on the internet has a more wholesome group of members. There it is in a nutshell.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline GOLEE

• 7 Point
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2014, 07:31:26 PM »
This site is very encouraging to a new member or hunter.. There is not a bunch of good ole boys running, and bullying members as some sites I have been on.. Incredible people, great advise, stories, and the broad spectrum of topics is great..
Hearing what hunters are doing across the country, their styles and approach is very educational.. Learned a lot of tid bits here.. good friendly site for sure. I have enjoyed being part of the TH family
By Gods Grace I lived
NRA Member
Scout Master
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity

Offline foodplot19

• 8 Point
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2014, 05:19:43 AM »
Getting ready for work.
Don't want to lose my spot in line.
I'll be back............. ##$%#1113
Class of 88
Journeyman Lineman 17 years
Love to spend time outside with the wife and kiddos
Proud to say everything on or with my bow is MADE IN USA!!! Mathews Switchback XT
Constant boredom interspersed with moments of shear terror!!
Team Backstrap Obsession 14'-15' Whitetail Championship

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2018, 12:11:54 PM »
The members here are like family. It is the members that make  talkhunting so great
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

New Page 3

Google Ad