talkhuntin.com
Thank you for visiting the TalkHunting Community. We encourage you to register and jump right in. Since membership is free, what do you have to lose? This is a place to learn, have fun, share your experiences and express ideas. As a member, you can add your own comments and topics, participate in the promotions and really enjoy all that TalkHunting has to offer.

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to view pictures or post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. Our members can register for monthly prize drawings, enter contests and share their knowledge and stories of this great sport with others. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

Don

Author Topic: Grandpa's Deer Sucker  (Read 2945 times)

Offline DEERSLAYER

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
Grandpa's Deer Sucker
« on: September 02, 2008, 10:31:54 PM »
Has anyone ever used Grandpa's Deer Suckers? They were like a king size slow poke. I don't know if they still make them, but the deer loved them. There was only one problem. The deer took the suckers with them every time! I tried wedging the sticks between roots on an angle and they just broke the stick and walked off with it. I also tried the bigger 4lb hang on suckers & the deer worked it off the rope and walked off with it. I finally quit using them because they ended up being a one time deal and that was expensive.

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • 18 Point
Re: Grandpa's Deer Sucker
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 11:51:45 PM »
Had the same problem with 4# bucklickers one day they would be there and the next they would be gone went to a 12# rock from primo and it stayed , can't trust them deer any more . -00-9 %^$^
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA
Mike's Magic Pro Staff

Offline Puddle Jumper

• Forum Boards Team
  • TH Staff - Team Leader
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 01:30:20 PM »
Has anyone ever used Grandpa's Deer Suckers? They were like a king size slow poke. I don't know if they still make them, but the deer loved them. There was only one problem. The deer took the suckers with them every time! I tried wedging the sticks between roots on an angle and they just broke the stick and walked off with it. I also tried the bigger 4lb hang on suckers & the deer worked it off the rope and walked off with it. I finally quit using them because they ended up being a one time deal and that was expensive.

Have not heard of them, who make them??   ???

PJ
Team 9 Boneheads
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Clu

Offline bigjim

• Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Eat, sleep, Hunt, fish, need I say more!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 09:08:24 PM »
Grampa  --099-780

No seriously I to would like to know.
God bless and happy hunting

Offline western KY hunter

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 09:27:01 PM »
i tryed them all i killed was yellowjackets and ants >:(
MIKE'S MAGIC  PRO STAFF
OWNER and HEAD GUIDE FOR RIVER OAK OUTFITTER'S
HUNTED FOR 33 YEARS
FOUNDER OF WKHTM

Offline bigjim

• Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Eat, sleep, Hunt, fish, need I say more!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 09:36:55 PM »
Now you went and done it,  --7-8-9
YELLOWJACKETS, they love to hate me , and will travel miles to make me get the point
God bless and happy hunting

Offline western KY hunter

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 09:40:57 PM »
thats because your a VOLS fan bigjim --099-780 --099-780
MIKE'S MAGIC  PRO STAFF
OWNER and HEAD GUIDE FOR RIVER OAK OUTFITTER'S
HUNTED FOR 33 YEARS
FOUNDER OF WKHTM

Offline DEERSLAYER

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 09:50:37 PM »

Have not heard of them, who make them??   ???

PJ
I can't remember. I was hoping someone here could tell me. I don't think they are made anymore, but I'm not sure.

By the way, congratulations on your 1,000th post puddle.

Offline Puddle Jumper

• Forum Boards Team
  • TH Staff - Team Leader
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 07:58:34 AM »
I can't remember. I was hoping someone here could tell me. I don't think they are made anymore, but I'm not sure.

By the way, congratulations on your 1,000th post puddle.
[/quote]

Thanks DEERSLAYER .   -00-9

PJ
Team 9 Boneheads
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Clu

Offline Bowmanraasch

• 12 Point
  • Team 46 - East Coast Assasins
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 08:07:06 AM »
 i tried them about 10 years ago and the deer loved them and took them with them but have not seen them around for a long time ?

Offline farmerdunn

• Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 02:12:33 PM »
Deer Suckers a treat for hunters
POSTED: November 15, 2007 Save | Print | Email
Email: "Deer Suckers a treat for hunters" 
*To:   <--TO Email REQUIRED!

Article Photos

ISHPEMING — The new owners of the business that makes Grampa’s Deer Suckers is looking to revive the popularity of the hard candy “treat” that attracts deer.

Grampa’s Inc., formerly located in Negaunee, was bought earlier this year by Kevin Tasson of Skandia and Thomas Kuopus of Ishpeming. It was founded in 1989 by H.G. Artibee.

“The Deer Suckers were widely distributed in 28 states and were extremely popular with deer hunters and backyard wildlife enthusiasts alike,” Kuopus said. “Hunters have found them to work very well, as evidenced by the many pictures and testimonials from successful hunters throughout the country.”

Kuopus said the Deer Sucker is an effective deer attractant and a lightweight alternative to hauling heavy bags of corn, apples or other feed into the woods for hunters.

The product was first developed as a fund-raising tool for Artibee’s daughter’s string orchestra class at Negaunee High School. The class was invited to a worldwide competition in Austria and needed to raise $90,000. Artibee and his wife Alice wanted to do something to help the class achieve their fund-raising goal, and from this the Deer Sucker idea was born.

Artibee initially made 250 suckers. He was met with some skepticism from the orchestra class, but with the help of several local retailers, the suckers sold right away. Proceeds went to the students’ class trip. When requests for the sucker poured in the next year, Artibee returned to the kitchen to make more suckers, and the rest is history.

Grampa’s Inc. is located at 150 Greenwood St. in Ishpeming. Its products are available locally, though the company is working with distributors in several states to expand distribution.

For more information, call 485-4144.

Offline DEERSLAYER

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 11:12:04 PM »
farmerdunn,

Thanks. I appreciate your effort.

Offline bigwilbur

• Fawn
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 09:46:30 PM »
I know this post is quite old but I came across it while looking at different deer attractants.  I used these deer suckers a long time ago but then couldn't find them any more.  I got tired of looking for them and decided to try and make my own.  I've been making candy forever (pralines etc) and figured it couldn't be too hard.  First batch came out something akin to tar, not so successful.  I couldn't seem to get it hot enough but found that it was cooking time more than heat that I was missing.  I cook mine in a 30qt pot on a propane turkey fryer, outside (it gets really messy when it gets thick).  Here's the recipe for anyone that is interested...

20 LBS Sugar
1 LB Salt
3 LB bag of apples
5 TBS or small bottle of vanilla (NOT IMITATION)
5 Jars Molasses (I use Grandma's and I've only ever seen in one size probably 16oz or so)
2 Jars peanut butter
1/2 Gallon water
1 stick of butter

This makes about 25 loaf pans (small 3" x 8" or so).  I prep 25 with non-stick spray and lay them out in a row.  I use about 18" of wire per pan.  I twist the part that goes into the pan into a loop and bend the middle of the loop at 90° so the sucker won't come off when the deer get at it and leave about 10" or so sticking out of one end of the pan.

Puree the apples into sauce, skin and all.  Start by putting the water in the cooker and heat to boil.  I usually add the peanut butter first then the sugar, after that it's what ever I grab next.  Don't skip the butter.  For some reason it will foam up and boil over without it.  Bring everything up to a high boil and stir and stir and stir.  I stick a candy thermometer in but it never seems to get above 225° - 250°, you definitely don't want it to get above 290° if you happen to have a hotter cooker.  It takes about an hour to cook down where it will set hard.  Keep a bowl of cold water close by to check the process.  Once it starts getting thick, drip some of it into the cold water.  If it's not done it will just puddle in the bottom of the bowl.  Once it starts balling up in the water it's close to done and can overcook quickly.  When it's setting up in the water and you can pick it up in your fingers in the consistency will be a little tougher than a Bit-O-Honey; it's pretty much ready to pour.  Cut the heat.  Let the bubbling slow a little.  Use a small pot and scoop the mixture into the loaf pans almost to the top.  Let it set overnight.  They should set up much harder than caramel but not as hard as say a jolly rancher.  To set them out, use the wire and tie it securely to a tree branch 4' to 6' off the ground (gotta make them work for it).  You can add corn, oats, maize or other grains to it as you like but add it right at the end after you cut the heat.  Adding grain will increase the pan count.  Keep some old butter dishes or larger disposable containers in case there's extra mixture.  DO NOT do this in your kitchen, it will make a mess.  When it thickens up and bubbles it will splatter out.  Wear gloves and long sleeves because you CANNOT wipe off molten sugar.  It WILL cause severe burns if you get careless and it splatters on you, believe me, I know.

Offline AaronS

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • Prepper Community
  • 10 Point
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 07:48:07 AM »
Very innovative bigwilbur!  Great job and thanks for sharing.
If God had a refrigerator, your picture would be on it.
1 cross + 3 nails = 4given

NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
QDMA Member

Offline russcat

• TH Staff - Prize Team
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
  • R-I-P "Big John"
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 09:30:21 AM »
That is very cool.  Do the deer hammer them pretty hard?
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

New Page 3

Fall Hunting Classic Online at Basspro.com