New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: scoring turkey's  (Read 1087 times)

Offline jackson

• Spike
scoring turkey's
« on: October 29, 2009, 10:50:35 PM »
I just saw that in maine they score turkey's , here in ohio all we do is hang them up ,get there weight ,turn in our tag and that's it. now that's a good question how do you score turkey's?? I think ohio is draging there feet.

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
Re: scoring turkey's
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 11:47:02 PM »
I think this will help.I am new to turkey hunting myself and someone here sent me this link earlier this year.
www.nwtf.org/for_hunters/how_to_score.html

Offline NWIAdeerhunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Matthews z7 magnum, remington .270 bdl, TC Triumph
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 11:58:04 PM »
I never knew they scored birds.  we always just measured the beard and spurs, and weighed the bird.  someone earlier posted something about scoring does as well.
tank of gas: $50
hunting licence: $190
ammo: $20
getting to spend time with family and hunting buddies: priceless

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • one cold day
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 11:47:07 AM »
in NY its, beard length, spur length and then weight....thats about all u can do @--0--0117
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline Turkey_Addict

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 01:24:44 PM »
I just saw that in maine they score turkey's , here in ohio all we do is hang them up ,get there weight ,turn in our tag and that's it. now that's a good question how do you score turkey's?? I think ohio is draging there feet.

You can score your bird in any state although it isn't required to my knowledge. I would imagine you would want to score a really nice turkey to determine if it was one that may go into the record books.

Offline SCHunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 09:53:15 AM »
Is there a record book for turkey?I would like to see that so if any one knows a link.
let us know.scored one from last year useing the link from below.and he scored 70.5 is that good.22lbs 10 3/4" beard and both spurs were 1 1/4" long.
take your kids hunting.and you wont have to hunt for them.

Offline mac0823

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • My little piece of heaven
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 10:45:08 AM »
I knew hunters that compared beard and spur lengths, but never knew there was a formal score.  To me, the score that counts is when it hits the crockpot or grill!

Offline Turkey_Addict

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 09:41:19 PM »
I knew hunters that compared beard and spur lengths, but never knew there was a formal score.  To me, the score that counts is when it hits the crockpot or grill!

I certainly agree with this, lol

Offline Mack

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 07:36:35 PM »
Michigan Commertive Bucks has a turkey section it it for turkey scores.......Mack here is the link.... http://www.buckfax.com/2009/2009_gun_book%20turkey.htm

Offline ddejong

• Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 08:40:25 PM »
The system listed in the NWTF link is pretty standard.  I have never worried much about how my birds scored, as the thrill of bagging a turkey and the circumstances surrounding it are were the satisfaction comes from.  The best 'scoring' bird I ever got was because he had four beards!  That was a cool bird, but it is the hunts themselves that really stand out to me.  Just my opinion, but I am not too keen on the competitive side of hutning and fishing.

Offline RADAR

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 09:06:45 PM »
Here in KY at are local sporting goods store they have a contest and the score Turkeys. They weight the bird then Measure the beard and times the longest spur by 20 the total. So a bird that weighs 20lbs 10in beard and 1in spurs would score 60.
If Hunting is a sport does this make me an athlete?

2009-10 Deer Hunting Championship Winning Team Member
2010 Turkey Championship Winner

New Page 3

Google Ad