New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: hey i have a question.  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Dustin

• Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
hey i have a question.
« on: January 17, 2010, 10:50:39 AM »
what is the difference between the sizees of shot? i use # 4's but i see people on tv using # 6's. wats the difference between a bigger or smaller shot size?

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • taken around time HG and I were married
Re: hey i have a question.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 10:56:02 AM »
not totally sure what you are asking, but a partial answer is a Bigger shot size (smaller number) has more energy per pellet, but less pellets per shell. I smaller shot size will product a denser pattern as it will contain more pellets. This is assuming similar weight of shot and similar powder charges fired from the same gun and chock
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline RADAR

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 01:46:59 PM »
not totally sure what you are asking, but a partial answer is a Bigger shot size (smaller number) has more energy per pellet, but less pellets per shell. I smaller shot size will product a denser pattern as it will contain more pellets. This is assuming similar weight of shot and similar powder charges fired from the same gun and chock
Very good answer zos41. In my eyes I look at it like this it takes more smaller shot to do the job than it does bigger shot so I use 4 shot in my 10 ga and 5 shot in my 12 ga. JMO
If Hunting is a sport does this make me an athlete?

2009-10 Deer Hunting Championship Winning Team Member
2010 Turkey Championship Winner

Offline mabuhr

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 04:41:42 PM »
Good replies. #4 shot has
  • number of pellets in a 15 inch circle at
  • yards. and #6 shot will have more pellets in the same 15 inch circle at the same years. #4 will also carry more energy with the shot. hope it helps.
NAHC life member

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 04:48:21 PM »
dustin, I use 6 shot double magnum turkey load for the first shot...more pellets in the head...but It does matter how ur gun patterns...my last shots are 4's again double magnum...but rarely I get to9 use more than 1 shot (not bragging) but when you get them close you can get them with one shot @--0--0118
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 06:20:28 PM »
The only thing to add is that the larger shot retains it's energy longer so better for longer shots . I use #4 3" mags .
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline rhawkins

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 06:27:46 PM »
I have to echo that you should pattern your gun.  You may find out that #4 perform better than #6.  I shoot 3 1/2 #6.  Pick a target at 30 - 40 yards and shoot a box of each at multiple targets.  Good luck.
Randy Hawkins
USAF, MSgt (ret)
Lifetime NRA Member
NWTF Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman

Deer Hunting and Land/Wildlife Management Rocks

Offline CTARCHER

• Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 08:05:14 PM »
I use a 12ga with 2 3/4" shells. I just prefer the #4 shot because it will carry more energy at the longer ranges. %^$^
Over 40 yrs chasin critters
U.S.Army 69-72
Life Member NRA
Board Member: Southington Sportsmans Assoc.
NRA Certified Pistol Safety Instructor
Life Member BASS
Also a RAVENS fan. (had to be different)

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 06:27:08 AM »
Great feedback Guys. Now that's what I am talking about. Friends helping friends.

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 09:34:55 AM »
Sounds like you have plenty of information to decide the shot size that will best suit your needs. Remember you MUST pattern the gun you intend to use.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline tiller

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
    • Hooks & Bullets Magazine
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 10:01:50 AM »
Good answers and I think that every one probably answered the question at hand. May I suggest one "Money Saving Tip"?
That would be to get a about 6 or 8 buddies together. Have everyone bring a NEW box of shells that would have a different shot size than the other buddies bring. All show up with different shot for ALL to try in their preferred turkey gun. This way each person can pattern their gun with more loads than if you were going to do it yourself. 6 to 8 boxes of shells just for the purpose of patterning your gun can get expensive. Please also don't forget that your gun might pattern better with a 3" magnum rather than a 3 1/2 inch magnum. Don't put your blinders on and think that you need to shoot the longer shell just because you can! Many time a 3" will pattern better than a 3 1/2" will.

Good luck and have some fun with your fellow TH buddies.
Michigan's Hooks & Bullets Magazine, Co-owner / Publisher
First Flights Aviation Services, Aerial Photography
Cutting Edge Bindery LLC

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 01:01:08 PM »
Generally, No. 4 shot being larger, retains more energy at longer ranges, while the no. 6 offers a denser shot pattern, because there are more of them.  The important thing is to see which load gives you a denser pattern at let's say 40 yds, with the turkey choke of your choice.  Also, copper plated shot is a lot harder than lead shot.  It deforms less, giving you a more uniform pattern.  When patterning my 870 with 3" Winchester turkey loads (2 oz of buffered #4 shot)  I got enough pellets on 4 targets, to kill a turkey every time.  I use a Hastings turkey choke, with a .655 constriction.  At the time I purchased it, it was the next to tightest choke they offered, the tightest being .645. I also tried a 2-3/4" 1-1/4 oz of lead shot, and I could tell right off the bat, that the patterns using this lead load was not acceptable.

Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Dustin

• Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
ok thanks guys i was wondering because i always used #4 shot. with my 12 and 20 gauge. but alot of people i see hunting on tv use # 6's so i was wondering if there was something i was missing. but i guess not because i was thinking pretty much everything that was stated her that the smaller shot (#6's) will have more pellets and produce a denser pattern but it takes more to kill then the bigger shot did but the bigger shot (#4's) wouldnt be as dense. but either way you gotta pattern the gun with the choke you intend on using. thanks guys

Offline ddejong

• Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 07:03:08 PM »
I use 5 shot myself, but the MOST important thing is to take a good shot....get that gobbler in close, put the bead on the right spot and shoot when he is standing still. 

Offline Possum

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 10:30:42 AM »
Check with your State Reg's some might require you to use #4.
This is the Alabama Law:
TURKEY: Shotguns, 10 gauge or smaller using standard No. 2 shot or smaller. Long bows or compound bows (no crossbows). Handguns or pistols using centerfire mushrooming ammunition, black powder handguns or pistols .40 caliber or larger. Handguns or pistols can only have open metallic sights (no scopes). Nothing in this section is intended to prohibit the possession of rifles, shotgun/rifle combinations (drilling) or buckshot and slugs when the hunter is stalk hunting both deer and turkey provided no person shoots or attempts to shoot turkey with the rifle or shotgun using buckshot or slugs
Freelance Outdoor Writer

New Page 3

Google Ad