New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: How I put up Lock-on stands  (Read 984 times)

Offline NJ Bowhunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
How I put up Lock-on stands
« on: August 31, 2008, 03:36:27 PM »
I am sure that others have had this thought but when I do a majority of my hunting out of my Climber and I find a certain area that I don't want to lug the climber in with me too or I want to put something up someone else may hunt out of I use my climber to get the job done.. 

I will bring my climber into the area with a lock-on as well. I will climb to where I want the lock-on to be and haul the lock-on up the tree at that point.  I have my climber to keep me steady and I can move around the tree to get to the back of the lock-on if needed.  I am always in my HSS restraint system so I am secure. I get the lock-on all tied in nice and secure and start back down the tree putting screw-ins on the way down.  I do cheat and use a drill to put a pilot hole in first and get them the correct distance apart from each other.  I have had long legged friends put the 20" apart up the tree and that to me is more dangerous than having them every 15" or so.  This is one area I am not cheap on.  Buy in bulk and use many.  When I am up top I get to put in a bow hanger, my climbing rope with prussic knot, my tow rope for hauling things up and my quiver holder.  People like me to come in and set up a stand as there is nothing left out.  I will also put a Pee bottle up there or attach my classic funnel and hose back to the ground as I see fit.  Think smart and use all available options to make yourself comfortable and secure.  We only go around once. As much as I love the Lord, I am in no rush to have a face to face with him any too soon.  NJ
If you must be somewhere.  Be Out There in the woods.

Hunting more years than I care to count or admit too.

NJ Hunter Ed Instructor
NRA Life
NAHC Life
10 yr Cancer Survivor
Proud Father of 2006 Miss New Jersey

Offline flbuckhunter

• 2008 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: How I put up Lock-on stands
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 04:17:23 PM »
All great tips NJ. Sounds like you get it all covered. Sounds like an excellent set up.
Hunting, I am not obsessed I am possessed.
South Florida Field Representative National Rifle Association
Endowment Life Member NRA
Lifetime Florida Sportsman's License Holder
Co-Chairman Sarabay Chapter Friends of the NRA
QDMA Member

Offline Whitetail54

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • All it Takes is a Tree Stand and a Dream !!
    • Raleigh, NC  Area Homes
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 07:53:43 PM »
Sounds pretty much like I did except I had prebuilt a ladder using pressure treated 2x4's and painted it camo colors.  Onec secured against the tree, then secure my lockon and just about everything you with exception of the funnel bit.    In my most recent stand, have a limb that goes off to my right just above my shoulder so using so electric straps to attach large S hooks to hang things such as my backback which has my goodies such as water bottle, munchies and a sandwich or two.  I usually plan out to spend most of the day
Hunting for more than 40 years now
Member of Team TURF ONE

If you are 50 or over and have not yet had a colonoscopy...DO IT!!!  It saved my life!!

Offline swgahunter

• 2008 Prize Winner
    • drop zone outdoors
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 10:36:15 PM »
great tips NJ - thanks for the advice - i am about to have to hang a couple - just get tired of moving the climber around all the time
living la vida qdm
when in doubt -- don't shoot

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 10:49:16 PM »
There is something new out to help with hang ons . It's a pulley system that you can attach your screw ins on the way up then when you get above where the stand will go you attach what looks like a pulley that you attach to the stand and pull it up and hang it . 
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline bigjim

• Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Eat, sleep, Hunt, fish, need I say more!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 10:52:10 PM »
Great tip
God bless and happy hunting

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 01:49:06 PM »
nice tip
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 01:51:57 PM »
Thats the main reason I quit using loc ons because they would wear me out puting them up by myself.

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 01:54:59 PM »
wv, that is what i use 90% of the time. gorillia climbing sticks go great with lock-ons
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline flbuckhunter

• 2008 Prize Winner
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 04:16:58 PM »
Never have used one. I have always been scared of the pegs breaking while climbing. I have a friend that uses them and he is not a big man but has had it happen to him twice.
Hunting, I am not obsessed I am possessed.
South Florida Field Representative National Rifle Association
Endowment Life Member NRA
Lifetime Florida Sportsman's License Holder
Co-Chairman Sarabay Chapter Friends of the NRA
QDMA Member

Offline curs1

• 12 Point
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 07:56:04 PM »
The way I put mine up is  wit h a rope and a pulley. Install my climbing sticks the install a pulley with a tie down strap at the right Height. Then pull   lock on and tie it  off  . This way leaves  both hands  free to  cinch the lock on  . Easy way for a single person. I also am tied off  with my HS vest all the time  while doing  so.

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 07:18:43 AM »
They are just not a stand that I have ever felt comfortable in. although I have been in places where it would have been the best alternative for the hunt, but end up sitting on ground instead.

New Page 3

Google Ad