talkhuntin.com
Thank you for visiting the TalkHunting Community. We encourage you to register and jump right in. Since membership is free, what do you have to lose? This is a place to learn, have fun, share your experiences and express ideas. As a member, you can add your own comments and topics, participate in the promotions and really enjoy all that TalkHunting has to offer.

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to view pictures or post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. Our members can register for monthly prize drawings, enter contests and share their knowledge and stories of this great sport with others. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

Don

Author Topic: Homemade Deer Stands  (Read 5121 times)

Offline jbright

• Fawn
    • My Personal Site - Pictures of past hunts and trail cam pics
Homemade Deer Stands
« on: August 29, 2008, 07:49:34 AM »
Anyone out there have any blueprints for good homemade deer stands?

I grew up hunting out of homemade stands everything from stands made out of green treated lumber, stands made out of old pallets, to stands made out of smaller trees.  Within the last few years we started buying manufactured ladder stands for the convenience factor but there is just something about hunting deer out of a homemade stand that brings me back to being 6 years old sitting in a stand with my dad.

jbright

Online Puddle Jumper

• Forum Boards Team
  • TH Staff - Team Leader
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Homemade Deer Stands
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 08:46:32 AM »
No blueprints, just whatever can find laying around that will fit the tree or area.   :2)

PJ
Team 9 Boneheads
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
Bucks and Beards Scents
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Clu

Offline NJ Bowhunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 09:20:38 AM »
If you like things that are homemade out of anything follow this thread.

http://www.talkhuntin.com/index.php?topic=737.0

NJ
If you must be somewhere.  Be Out There in the woods.

Hunting more years than I care to count or admit too.

NJ Hunter Ed Instructor
NRA Life
NAHC Life
10 yr Cancer Survivor
Proud Father of 2006 Miss New Jersey

Offline Whitetail54

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • All it Takes is a Tree Stand and a Dream !!
    • Raleigh, NC  Area Homes
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 07:57:55 PM »
My favorite stand is the one I built up in PA out of mostly scrap wood leftover from my buddies deck.  It connects as a triangular shape between 3 trees.  About only materials I purchased were the 2x6's I use to make the base out of.  Been there with no problem for about 6 seasons now.  All I do is check lags bolts once a year.
Hunting for more than 40 years now
Member of Team TURF ONE

If you are 50 or over and have not yet had a colonoscopy...DO IT!!!  It saved my life!!

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 10:53:21 PM »
There are 2 where I hunt that have been up for 15 years but they look like they can't be trusted this year . They were made of 2x4s that were left overs .
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA
Mike's Magic Pro Staff

Offline no tresspassing

• 4 Point
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 01:36:57 PM »
Ah yes I remember building those stands, I took  2 treated 4x4 and lagged treated 2x4 or 6's as steps if I did it now I would dado into the 4x4  for extra sure support over a greater area. I basically had the ladder built except for the last couple of steps on either end , I would hand dig them in and cement them into the ground a few feet , befor the cement I would find the right spot  and angle , . I liked to use tree limbs as extra support and use either 2x4's or 6's  as the base support  then build a deck over that with 2x4's and cover with marine grade plywood, careful these got slippery when wet  or snow covered. probably would paintheavily and throw on some gravel or sand for traction now and then would tie my bow or unloaded gun on a rope and hoist it up.  the basses where around 3x4 or 4x4  I know I got a good decade out of them and the trees survived because I only put about 6 long lag screws into them . you do want to wear a harness it's easy to lean out over them  for a bow shot.  remember what does your siloette look like as your thinking of building  common stand thoughts.  it aint hard  just remember to think saftey and support and you can build it .

I'm now planning on boxed blinds  to get out of the cold so I can hunt/ nap  longer   @--0--0120

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 03:16:39 PM »

check some other threads like stated or  hae some fun and try it yourself!!   @--0--0101

but as always ...  Safety first!!
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline PK300

• 12 Point
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 06:06:09 PM »
Check with BubbaBrown.  He has some plans for some nice looking box stands.  I will be contacting him when I figure out where I am going to hunt next year.
A.K.A.  Muskymadness
4 yrs. of watching, learning, and tracking
26 years of deer hunting experience

Offline lpptz

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 12:24:29 PM »
I made plenty of stands but they usualy ended up to heavy or squeaked,plus there's the safety factor.But I have to say I made one that was really good,but someone stole it from my tree.
I have been going to ladder stands lately and keep my homemade as backups.
If you make your stands so you can level the platform it takes the squeak out.

lp

Offline deerhunter123

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 4 Point
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 01:52:37 PM »
we make wooden box stands and mount them on fuel barrel stands.  works great, we have 5 of them

Offline BubbaBrown

• Baton Rouge, Louisiana (Home)
    • The Deer Camp
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 02:12:22 PM »
jbright, I have box stand plans that I sell. You may look at some of the box stand photos in this site or on my site, or both. My plans are for a leaner type stand that is chained to a tree. My site is, www.thedeercamp.ning.com . Look in my blog, 4x4 box stand. Two people on this site have purchase plans and gave good reviews. If you want a free standing box, I would buy a set of Elevators from Cabela's for the legs.

http://www.talkhuntin.com/index.php?topic=2629.0
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 09:57:36 PM by BubbaBrown »
LIFE IS GOOD AT THE DEER CAMP!

2009 TalkHunting Sportsman of the Year
Hunters For The Hungry Of LA, B.O.D.
www.thedeercamp.com
2009 TALK HUNTING WILD GAME COOK-OFF CHAMPION
Cpl. USMC 1970-1972, MOS 6064, Parachute Rigger
NRA MEMBER
QDMA MEMBER
GATOR OUTFITTERS - Pro-Staff

Offline BubbaBrown

• Baton Rouge, Louisiana (Home)
    • The Deer Camp
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 02:26:08 PM »
Here are a few pics of some of my box stands. All of these stands are 11 YO.

1st stand is a 4x6, with two 4x4 post and a ladder, attached with a chain and turnbuckle.

2nd stand is a 4x4, leaner, attached with a chain and turnbuckle.

3rd stand is a 4x4,  leaner, attached with a chain and turnbuckle.

Treated wood and paint is the key for making the stands last.

The plans I designed this past year are a little more heavy duty than the ones shown.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 09:58:51 PM by BubbaBrown »
LIFE IS GOOD AT THE DEER CAMP!

2009 TalkHunting Sportsman of the Year
Hunters For The Hungry Of LA, B.O.D.
www.thedeercamp.com
2009 TALK HUNTING WILD GAME COOK-OFF CHAMPION
Cpl. USMC 1970-1972, MOS 6064, Parachute Rigger
NRA MEMBER
QDMA MEMBER
GATOR OUTFITTERS - Pro-Staff

Offline ddejong

• Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 11:50:48 PM »
I would echo the comments about it being enjoyable sitting in a home made stand, but also to be careful!  I bought a property and found a great stand at a great spot.  First day I sat in it I shot a big doe.  Next day an 8 pointer.  Came back the next weekend and found it real unstable as I climbed in.  The stand was fine, but it turned out the trees it was built into were a pair of river birches, and they were rottening from the inside.  The went down the next windy day.  Build the stand well, but be sure to pick out a healthy tree too!

Offline jbar

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 06:52:29 AM »
Boy, you guys just brought me on a walk down memory lane. I remember building stands out of anything I could find. Shot many a deer out of those old lean-to stands. This is the last one I built. Call it the old man stand. Figure the day might come when I can't climb those ladders anymore. As long as I can pull the trigger I'll have a stand to be in. --099-780 Be safe and shot straight.
A BAD DAY HUNTING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK
STARTED HUNTING IN 1962
47 YRS AND STILL COUNTING

Offline no tresspassing

• 4 Point
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 11:12:29 AM »
Now that looks like what I want to build . How high are the windows from the floor? and can two guys and a some shelves sit in there comfy like?
It would be nice to give us a laydown on some of the essentials so we don't mess up. I'm gimpy in one leg a bit and I really like the handrail on the stairs.
 @--0--0130

New Page 3

Fall Hunting Classic Online at Basspro.com