New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Trotline bait  (Read 5965 times)

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
Re: Trotline bait
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 08:41:30 PM »
 Goldfish is what we always used first choice,crawdad's second and worms and cut bait next as the night went on.

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 05:01:05 PM »
... when we set our trotlines we used a bunch of different bait, the first time we set it..just to see what the fish were in the mood for...then rebaited after the first check with what seemed popular.

So what's everyone else use?

That's a great way to do it, BD.  Give 'em what they want!  There are so many great baits out there, it's hard to tell what they'll be in the mood for.  You can never go wrong with nightcrawlers, crawdads, snails, cheese baits, etc., but I have my best success with dough baits for channels, and live perch (brem) or shad for blues and yellows.  When I can find a partner, I run 2 lines; one for channels and one for blues and yellows.  If I'm by myself, which is most of the time, I stage large, and bait with a variety of stuff.  I make my own dough bait, and my wife won't even go with me if I'm baiting with it.  Yeah, it's rank, but the cats love it!  Here's one from Lake Waco....
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 08:18:21 AM »
... when we set our trotlines we used a bunch of different bait, the first time we set it..just to see what the fish were in the mood for...then rebaited after the first check with what seemed popular.

That's a great way to do it, BD.  Give 'em what they want!  There are so many great baits out there, it's hard to tell what they'll be in the mood for.  You can never go wrong with nightcrawlers, crawdads, snails, cheese baits, etc., but I have my best success with dough baits for channels, and live perch (brem) or shad for blues and yellows.  When I can find a partner, I run 2 lines; one for channels and one for blues and yellows.  If I'm by myself, which is most of the time, I stage large, and bait with a variety of stuff.  I make my own dough bait, and my wife won't even go with me if I'm baiting with it.  Yeah, it's rank, but the cats love it!  Here's one from Lake Waco....
nice fish
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline Backdraft94

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • The future of hunting
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 05:48:33 PM »

now thats a nice Cat!!!!! @--0--0133
Tanner Ridge Hunt Club
"When the tailgate drops, The playin stops!!!!"
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Lousy Hunter!!!!
Member of 4 BigBucks
2nd place 2010 TH Deer Championship

Offline RADAR

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 05:52:26 PM »

Now thats what I am talking about.
If Hunting is a sport does this make me an athlete?

2009-10 Deer Hunting Championship Winning Team Member
2010 Turkey Championship Winner

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 11:56:45 AM »
Any cut bait and nightcrawlers my old man used Ivory soap years ago i never did He said it worked great
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BOGO

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Double Droptine
  • Is Ready for Turkey Season!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 01:27:18 PM »
we use cottonseed cake, it is hard like plywood and when it soaks in the water for 6 hours it starts flaking off. it works awsome. the only problem is it is getting harder to find each year.

That is cool I have never heard of it. A friend of mines dad commercial fished for years. He had a recipe of this liquid you just soaked the hooks in and that was  it. It was crazy how much fish he caught. The sad thing is that he was not a very nice man and was not even nice to his family although them family stuck with him till death. But the sad thing is he never shared that recipe with anyone not even his boys that work on the boat with him for years. So he died with that recipe. My friend still has a few jars of it and we went fishing a few summers ago and used some of it and it worked great we caught about 100lbs worth of blue cats in about 3 hours.
Its not always about the Harvest.Its about all the events & memories the Good Lord Blessed you with during the Hunt.Those are the Real Trophys!Remember to Love this land & Pass It on(25years experience of chasin Beards & Bucks)
*Pro Staff for Straight Creek Calls

Offline quackhead4life

• 4 Point
  • my cousin and I on public ground
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 02:41:24 PM »
i use bluegill and gold fish but theses Asian carp are not bad at 7 inches
hunt hard be save and good luck

Offline T. C. Thunder

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Hello from Missouri
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 10:46:53 PM »
When we trout line fish we fish for flat heads. And we have the best luck with black perch, and if their not available we use gold fish.  Works for us.    @--0--0101
T. C. Thunder
NRA Life Member
Hunt Hard, Hunt Safe, and Leave Only Tracks
Take a Child Hunting or Fishing...
40 years hunting

Offline Possum

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2010, 04:08:12 PM »
I hear that Basketballs are good Catfish Bait... --099-780
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline jon_camire05

• Fawn
    • HunTTrader
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2010, 04:27:12 PM »
We use different varietys to see what they are hitting on and then line them up with whatever they are wanting that day.. We use ivory soap, cut shad, whole small bream, minnows, and hot dogs soaked in garlice powder and water and let set out in the sun...rough on the ole nose but seems to work very well.
Kevin Camire
HunTTrader ProStaff
Ducks Unlimited Member
NWTF Member
U.S. ARNG Cavalry Scout

Offline T. C. Thunder

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Hello from Missouri
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2010, 09:52:22 PM »
Hay Jon !!! We have been using hotdogs when we have been floating jugs on the river.Seem to work pretty good. But some one told me to use garlic bologna. We haven't had a chance to try it yet, but the hotdogs soaked in garlic powder seems like the cheapper rout to take, and probably just as effective.  ##$%#115 for the tip..
T. C. Thunder
NRA Life Member
Hunt Hard, Hunt Safe, and Leave Only Tracks
Take a Child Hunting or Fishing...
40 years hunting

New Page 3

Google Ad