New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: The "Can"  (Read 1087 times)

MOdeer

The "Can"
« on: August 27, 2008, 07:32:50 AM »
I've heard good things about Primos "The Can", so I bought myself one. Anyone here use one, and what tips have you got to share with the forum? Things like, time of year, time of day, how ofter do you use it, do you blind call with it, etc. Thanks for the input!

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
Re: The "Can"
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 07:55:59 AM »
I will have to admit I haven't used mine in awhile.It was one of them must have gadgets and now it just sits in my hunting pouch.

Offline MTOCONTO

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Safety Harness is not as confining as a wheelchair
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 08:36:12 AM »
I will use mine blind once in a while but most of the time I only use it when I try to call a deer that I see. I haven't had a great deal of response to the call but it dose stop the deer.
2009 Turkey hunting championship contestant (4th place)

2 Years following
33 years and counting hunting

Offline flbuckhunter

• 2008 Prize Winner
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 08:40:53 AM »
I will use mine to call blind during the 3 rut phases. I have never called in a big buck but have had a few little ones respond to it over the years.
Hunting, I am not obsessed I am possessed.
South Florida Field Representative National Rifle Association
Endowment Life Member NRA
Lifetime Florida Sportsman's License Holder
Co-Chairman Sarabay Chapter Friends of the NRA
QDMA Member

Offline NJ Bowhunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 11:26:23 AM »
I have the can, the BIG can and the little can.  I use them during the rut, pre and post as well.  I will blind call with them and the buck growler as well. Just because something does not work doesn't mean it won't work.. How many times did you ask your girl friend, mistress, wife, before you got a yes.  There had to be something more you needed to do before you got that yes.. Maybe you needed to shower and splash some of that smelly stuff on...  to make it work right.....    --099-780 --099-780 --099-780
If you must be somewhere.  Be Out There in the woods.

Hunting more years than I care to count or admit too.

NJ Hunter Ed Instructor
NRA Life
NAHC Life
10 yr Cancer Survivor
Proud Father of 2006 Miss New Jersey

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 11:34:24 AM »
I HAVE HAD THE CAN TURN SEVERAL BUCKS AROUND AND BRING THEM IN TO ME, I ALWAYS HAVE ONE IN MY HUNTING PACK. THE PROBLEMS WITH MOST CALLS IS THE PEOPLE USING THEM. LESS IS BETTER MOST OF THE TIME. USE THEM AS NEEDED
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline yellowmopar3

• 4 Point
  • Its always a good day to talk hunting
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 11:38:24 AM »
 I dont know. I have stopped deer but never call them in with it. It seems like they know something is up when they hear another deer but dont see one.. But I do always have one on me.

Offline swgahunter

• 2008 Prize Winner
    • drop zone outdoors
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 12:44:21 PM »
i use one and use it often during the rutting phases - i use it blind and am not real sure if the two small bucks that came in last year came in to that was just on the travel path
living la vida qdm
when in doubt -- don't shoot

Offline western KY hunter

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 06:02:44 PM »
i've had bucks come to it on the run shot a nice bucklast year oct3rd the third day of our crossbow season he came in running after i flipped the can three times.
MIKE'S MAGIC  PRO STAFF
OWNER and HEAD GUIDE FOR RIVER OAK OUTFITTER'S
HUNTED FOR 33 YEARS
FOUNDER OF WKHTM

Offline chiefbigbear

• Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 07:16:41 PM »
They do stop the deer. But I have not called one in YET!!! -00-9
I HAVE A SMALL RANCH IN EDWARDS COUNTY CLOSE TO ROCKSPRINGS,TEXAS.
I AM INTERESTED IN DISCUSING HUNTING ISSUES WITH OTHER HUNTERS IN THAT GENERAL AREA.

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 01:35:31 AM »
They do stop deer and so far only little bucks have responded .
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Elkhntr

• 6 Point
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 02:05:32 PM »
I use mine often. It's easier then adjusting my other call. I grunt in sequences and mix the "can" call in between grunt. I've had a ton of success calling. I enjoy being able to trick the deer into getting close..

Offline bowman12

• 2010 Aug. Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 04:23:05 PM »
I bought my brother in law one for his birthday, and that rifle season he blind called his biggest buck to date in, and made a clean kill. This was real close to the peak of the rut, and he was hunting in the bedding area of several deer. I'm getting one before October for sure. I just can't make my mind up between the big or regular can.

Offline Lung Cutter

• 10 Point
  • stay calm and pick a spot
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 07:08:29 PM »
I agree with clintt "less is better". I have the Primos big can and I use it and have also had success with it. I only turn it over about two or three, sometimes maybe four times then do nothing for 17 minutes then repeat the process watching and listening. Once I have a deer or even think I have one coming I quit calling untill he quits coming. If he quits coming I'll give him another call, maybe a single low grunt or something just to get him going again. I use the same timing and strategy for calling moose.

I am no expert but this has worked for me over the years and I do enjoy calling most game.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 07:11:04 PM by Lung Cutter »
the bow...Mathews Z7
the arrows...5575 Gold Tip Expedition Hunters
the broadheads...100 grain Slick Tricks
the result...hours of enjoyment and "fresh meat"

-00-9                %^$^

Offline hiredgun

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 07:11:48 AM »
I have the "Can" and have killed two bucks because of it.

The first buck was a 6 pt. that I saw on the other side of a clear cut.  He was messing with some does that did not want anything to do with him however, when he heard the sound from the "Can" he made a bee line straight to the call.  I also mixed in a few grunt calls along with the "Can".  That seemed to put a little pep in his step, if you will.

The buck cam within 50 yds. of my stand and then it was see ya.

I was blind calling one morning and had a 3 pt. come running into the area looking for the deer making that sound.  Too late for him as he walked withing 30 yds. of my stand and death was waiting on him.

I believe that calls can be over used and do more harm than good.  The call has been used by every hunter in my club and then some.  I feel that the deer are so used to hearing the sound that they don't pay attention to it.  Just my opinion.

New Page 3

Google Ad