New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: New Moultrie Cam  (Read 1852 times)

Offline Whitetail54

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • All it Takes is a Tree Stand and a Dream !!
    • Raleigh, NC  Area Homes
New Moultrie Cam
« on: August 26, 2008, 06:38:43 AM »
I just received my new D40 and have never used one before.  A couple of simple questions for those of you that have.   First of all, how high should this be mounted on a tree?  Am thinking about what I would consider head high of a deer but just not sure.   Second, the straps that are provided just don't seem all that trustworthy. Seems a simple knife would allow anyone spotting it to simply help themself plus may be restricted to tree size to place it on.  Has anyone changed them out and with what?  Lastly, looking at the possible settings, auto with flash seems to be the most obvious way to go but what would you recommend as a time interval for events?    All suggestions are more than welcomed.  Thanks
Hunting for more than 40 years now
Member of Team TURF ONE

If you are 50 or over and have not yet had a colonoscopy...DO IT!!!  It saved my life!!

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: New Moultrie Cam
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 07:25:51 AM »
Start out about 4 feet off the ground . You can use the laser to aim it at where you want to be the center of the picture . Try to point it north , this will cut down on white outs . The trip time on the camera is about 2 seconds so point it down a trail if thats what your trying . If you set it to video it will take videos in daylight and stills at night . The time delay is up to you . There is a place that have a much better way to keep that camera in it place and not in someone else's hands .http://www.deercamerbracket.com/index.html
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 07:31:00 AM by sundowner »
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Whitetail54

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 08:18:07 AM »
Start out about 4 feet off the ground . You can use the laser to aim it at where you want to be the center of the picture . Try to point it north , this will cut down on white outs . The trip time on the camera is about 2 seconds so point it down a trail if thats what your trying . If you set it to video it will take videos in daylight and stills at night . The time delay is up to you . There is a place that have a much better way to keep that camera in it place and not in someone else's hands .http://www.deercamerbracket.com/index.html

Thanks for the website..will probably do that but want to get the camera out on Thursday so looking for a quick fix in the meantime. 
Member of Team TURF ONE

If you are 50 or over and have not yet had a colonoscopy...DO IT!!!  It saved my life!!

Offline MTOCONTO

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Safety Harness is not as confining as a wheelchair
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 08:23:54 AM »
Sad put true there is no quick fix to camera theft. If someone wants it there going to get it. I just put mine on a camera tripod so I can move it easy and put it anywhere I need it. I keep mine about 3-4" off the ground. If your over bait I would set it for about 5 minutes if not I would set it for the least time that you can.
2009 Turkey hunting championship contestant (4th place)

2 Years following
33 years and counting hunting

Offline flbuckhunter

• 2008 Prize Winner
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 08:30:23 AM »
Great suggestions guys. MT, I agree with you on the time out. If it is over bait you might want to spread it out a little. The ones that I have on feeders I use about 10 minutes and still get about 300 pictures a week, but that is mainly due to the hogs coming by at all times of the day and night. If I am setting up on a trail I will put at the minimum.
Hunting, I am not obsessed I am possessed.
South Florida Field Representative National Rifle Association
Endowment Life Member NRA
Lifetime Florida Sportsman's License Holder
Co-Chairman Sarabay Chapter Friends of the NRA
QDMA Member

Offline DEERSLAYER

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 02:04:48 PM »

I have to respectfully disagree on the height. --9-908    Around 30"-34" (about wevils high for me  :)) is about right for the deer around here. You want it close to the top of the back to get the most pictures. The hotter it is outside the more important it is so that the sensor can see the temperature difference. Use that laser pointer to make sure it's level too.

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 02:39:20 PM »
Great stuff guys.  Got mine last week and set it up, hate the tree straps or should I say cheap bungle cord??!!  :D

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline swgahunter

• 2008 Prize Winner
    • drop zone outdoors
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 11:06:42 PM »
i took mine and screwed it to a sheet of plywood just larger than the camera - and then put the plywood on a 4X4 about 30-36" tall and mounted it on another sheet of plywood about 2'x2' -- this gives me the ability to put it anywhere even if i don't have a tree - here is a general idea of what it looks like
living la vida qdm
when in doubt -- don't shoot

Offline Whitetail54

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 12:42:22 PM »
Great stuff guys.  Got mine last week and set it up, hate the tree straps or should I say cheap bungle cord??!!  :D

PJ

I agree Puddle Jumper..thats why I'm looking for a more secure system.  I like the tree locking attachments I've seen but the one for Moultrie is almost as expensive as the camera itself.  I'm thinking about trying a cable lock system like I have on my hanging stand.
Member of Team TURF ONE

Offline Whitetail54

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 12:48:43 PM »
i took mine and screwed it to a sheet of plywood just larger than the camera - and then put the plywood on a 4X4 about 30-36" tall and mounted it on another sheet of plywood about 2'x2' -- this gives me the ability to put it anywhere even if i don't have a tree - here is a general idea of what it looks like

Thanks for that...this is second that suggests a portable stand. I would then assume you have a cable ot chain to lock it to something nearby?
Member of Team TURF ONE

Offline farmerdunn

• Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 04:35:08 PM »
I have three D-40 and i agree with the above. I contacted Moultrie about the straps when i received my 1st camera. They said that they will look into replacing them but as of yet they haven't. 
Don't place the camera facing east or west because of the sun glare.

Offline chiefbigbear

• Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 04:40:07 PM »
I have mine on a small piece of plywood with a 2x2 under the cam then i have it bolted to a t-post. ><((
I HAVE A SMALL RANCH IN EDWARDS COUNTY CLOSE TO ROCKSPRINGS,TEXAS.
I AM INTERESTED IN DISCUSING HUNTING ISSUES WITH OTHER HUNTERS IN THAT GENERAL AREA.

Offline cookin

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 04:16:57 PM »
This is what i did with mine!

Havin trouble with the down load! Please stand by!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 08:20:17 PM by cookin »
Youth Challenge Mentor
QDMA member
Certified Diver
North American Hunter  Life Member
Hunting 29 years

Offline swgahunter

• 2008 Prize Winner
    • drop zone outdoors
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 07:38:50 PM »
you could lock it down if you want - i don't have the thief problem everyone has i guess
living la vida qdm
when in doubt -- don't shoot

Offline flbuckhunter

• 2008 Prize Winner
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 08:35:10 PM »
Thankfully I have never had any problems either with thiefs. I have about 10 cameras spread out over 3 states and have never lost any of them. KNOCK ON WOOD. Watch, now that I said that I will go to SC or AL and have one or more swiped.
Hunting, I am not obsessed I am possessed.
South Florida Field Representative National Rifle Association
Endowment Life Member NRA
Lifetime Florida Sportsman's License Holder
Co-Chairman Sarabay Chapter Friends of the NRA
QDMA Member

New Page 3

Google Ad