New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Stoeger Over and Under  (Read 906 times)

Offline sc

• 4 Point
Stoeger Over and Under
« on: November 26, 2009, 03:30:53 AM »
Anyone own a Stoeger shotgun. My daughter wants to start shooting clays. I know you get what you pay for but, I can't see shelling out $1000 plus for a first gun for her to try the sport. I have read they (Stoegers) have had some firing pin issues.

Also she is 13 with a small to average frame. All the youth models have short barrels, I understand you need the longer barrel. I would rather buy an adult size gun have the stock cut down so maybe later a pad could be added back to get length when she grows later. Or if she quits I can shoot it. I'm sure @ $350 new resale on a Stoeger would be nothing.

Should she start with a 20 or 12? I have had mixed comments. Some say she should start with a 12 ga from the get-go, other say a 20 ga. 100 rounds in a 12 ga for practice seems a little much for a 13 year old??? Others say adjust the load?

Any comments?

TalkHunting Community

Stoeger Over and Under
« on: November 26, 2009, 03:30:53 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • one cold day
Re: Stoeger Over and Under
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 09:45:12 AM »
I've got an over/under 12 by stoeger...I like the gun and had some problems in the beginning had a double fire (both barrels with one pull whew) and sent it back to the place in maryland and they put nedw firing pins in and even changed the stock (never requested that) had an excellent customer service...it works fine now....Its a cheaper over/under and I believe good for a beginner
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline cc

• 2008 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 10:03:52 AM »
A couple of my friends have them and had no trouble that I know of. Just make sure what ever you get her has a barrel selective safety for skeet shooting.

Offline sc

• 4 Point
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 08:13:41 PM »
What about Lanber?

Offline mabuhr

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 08:33:38 PM »
stay away from double barrels to heavy for her, pick up a single shot or pump, 20 gauge would be best no seance beating her up have fun. @--0--0101
NAHC life member

Offline sc

• 4 Point
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 07:39:39 AM »
The gun will be for clays. A 20ga will be fine, but need two shots and pumps are not allowed. Have decided on an auto loader because of weight and recoil.

Don't want to break the bank on first gun. Most of the reviews I have read on stoeger have not been good. Thinking of getting just a field grade 11-87.

Offline deerhtn

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 08:22:05 AM »
I picked up a 20 ga. Kahn O/U from Dunhams for around $250.  Love it.  No, it's not Browning quality but it shoots better than the money I spent on it. 

I bought CamoGirl a Tristar 20 ga. autoloader from Cabelas for less than $300  Shoots very nice, functions flawlessly too.  Can't beat an autoloader for recoil reduction too....  DO NOT START YOUR GIRL out with a 12 guage!  IF she's recoil sensative she'll not want to shoot again!

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad