New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: American Hunter Magazine's Top 10 Hunting Rifles  (Read 2035 times)

Offline bugfixer

• Administrator
  • 12 Point
American Hunter Magazine's Top 10 Hunting Rifles
« on: November 20, 2009, 10:35:22 AM »
http://www.americanhunter.org/ArticlePage.aspx?id=1319&cid=0

1. Winchester Model 70
In 1936, Winchester "Americanized" and sporterized the bolt-action of Paul Mauser's military-inspired Model 1898 with, among other things, a safety that operated smoothly underneath the telescopic sights then becoming vogue. Now, 71 years after its creation, and after fits and starts have interrupted production of the venerable controlled-round-feed design, it is still the American bolt-action that defines an archetype.

2. Remington Model 700
The gun that came along at precisely the right moment--about the time the Pre '64 Model 70 was discontinued--is today probably present in more homes than any other American bolt-gun. It's widely considered the action to start with in any custom-rifle project and is produced in more iterations than any other bolt-gun.

3. Kimber 84M
At the end of the 20th century, Kimber engineers took a combination of design cues from the Mauser 98, Winchester 70 and Remington 700 to new heights, and today the 84M is likely the best factory-produced, most accurate out-of-the-box bolt-action made in America; if this list is reproduced 10 years from now, a Kimber could top it.

4. Marlin 336
In 1936, Marlin improved on lever-action designs of the Winchester 94, Marlin 1895 and others. It's true the 94 holds special places in hunters' hearts, but 71 years later, the 336 is still produced in great numbers, and still the deer gun most Americans buy first.

5. Holland & Holland Royal Double Rifle
Compared to other designs, few doubles have ever been sold, but this list wouldn't be complete without at least one: Holland & Holland's Royal is the archetype. If Purdey comes to mind first when thinking shotguns, H&H is foremost when it comes to British custom rifles. The H&H sidelock pattern set such a standard for shotguns and rifles that makers today refer to an "H&H-type."

6. Browning BAR
This is probably the most accurate semi-auto sporter ever produced in America, and 41 years later it's still popular in hunting camps across the nation.

7. Ruger 10/22
Though there are plenty of rimfires to choose from, Ruger's is surely one of the most popular plinkers of all time-and a fine platform for customization, too; everyone needs a .22, and this is the one with which to start.

8. Knight MK-85
Tony Knight's groundbreaking muzzleloader ushered in an entirely new era in "primitive" sporting arms.

9. Mauser Model 98
The bolt-action that launched the 20th century--in 1898--with controlled-round feed and other desirable features (notably a "pressure-proof" design) is still revered and copied today.

10. Hawken Rifle
This is the gun Americans think of when they think of their forefathers on the Western frontier, and a reliable design that still defines sidelock muzzleloaders today.

TalkHunting Community

American Hunter Magazine's Top 10 Hunting Rifles
« on: November 20, 2009, 10:35:22 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline cowmanhunter

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: American Hunter Magazine's Top 10 Hunting Rifles
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 11:47:25 AM »
Interesting. I really disagree with the Kimber, just my opinion. Thanks great article.
CMH
32 years hunting experiece and learning daily.
If Your Gonna Be Stupid You Gotta Be Tough.
If you find yourself in a hole, The first thing you do is stop digging.
Phill. 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice!

Offline Possum

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 01:41:51 PM »
I still love my Ruger 10/22 had mine for 36 Years... Fine Treerat Gun...

Possum
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline BOGO

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Double Droptine
  • Is Ready for Turkey Season!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 02:33:09 PM »
I own a few of those....But my favorite sits at number#2. Makes you feel good when you know you made a good decison
Its not always about the Harvest.Its about all the events & memories the Good Lord Blessed you with during the Hunt.Those are the Real Trophys!Remember to Love this land & Pass It on(25years experience of chasin Beards & Bucks)
*Pro Staff for Straight Creek Calls

Offline tngunsmoke

• July/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
I use a sporterized Chilean 12/61 mauser. (It is a 98 style action.)  Built it myself and it'll be my deer rifle for quite some time.

Started here

Finished product

Killed 6 deer with it in the last 2 years so its all good to go.

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 04:46:04 PM »
interesting , very interesting..I have the browning and it is accurate @--0--0118
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 06:35:11 PM »
I use a sporterized Chilean 12/61 mauser. (It is a 98 style action.)  Built it myself and it'll be my deer rifle for quite some time.

Killed 6 deer with it in the last 2 years so its all good to go.

I like that laminated stock.  Great looking rifle.  I have wanted to do something like for quite some time, but never gotten around to it.  Seems like barreled actions are almost as expensive as complete rifles.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline tngunsmoke

• July/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 11:10:14 AM »
I bought that one on a sale where they were getting rid of "junk" actions.

Offline PensacolaEd

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 04:51:59 PM »
I love my BAR - killed deer out to 250 yards, it never lets me down.

Ed

Offline pa deerslayer

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 08:29:58 PM »
just goes to show you,even professionals may not know what they are talking about.whers the cz,the tika,browning,and its a sin to leave the sako off.a marlin 336 a better rifle than a sako,PLEASE.

Offline ddejong

• Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 09:20:23 PM »
I have a couple of those --- thanks for sharing the article.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad