New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: SHOT GUN SLUG ADVICE!!!!  (Read 1402 times)

Offline DEhunter

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 4 Point
  • Award winner
Re: SHOT GUN SLUG ADVICE!!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 09:00:47 PM »
Having hunted with slug guns since I was 11 I have found that different guns like different slugs.  I now shoot a H&R 20 gauge with 3" Federal Barnes Expanders.  The gun shoots very tight groups till about the 5 or 6 shot.  Then they start going everywhere!  Clean the plastic fouling out and  the groups are back.  Now the old Ithaca featherlight would only shoot the Winchester or Federal foster type slug.  Put a Remington in it and you couldn't hit the side of a barn.  The biggest thing is shoot different slugs and find what the gun likes.  Then keep it clean and have fun.
The Truth 2, Knight Extreme Disc, H&R 20gauge
"For what shall it profit a man to gain the whole world but lose his soul"

Offline ghost

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »
Ah, using the ole slugs....brings back memories of old for sure. I always just used what Kmart or the Western Auto store had on sale....   0-0-0-
Courage is not about medals.
It's simple, you run towards the gun fire not away from it.     Semper Fi....

Offline pa deerslayer

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 07:41:04 AM »
bogo is correct,thats why when sighting in we always shoot 3 round or four rounds shot groups.

Offline klures99

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2009, 03:53:58 PM »
I have found with my slug guns each one shoots a different slug differently. What one shoots fine the other will not. I know nothing on the technical side of it but just know from shooting them all with different slugs. Hope you find the slug that works well in yours.
And this is about as technical as it needs to get buy several different brands find which one it likes and stick with it @--0--0101

Ditto. Also if you use sabots in a non rifled barrel or choke tube they tend to tumble somewhere around the 70yd mark.
2011 Team WPCS
2010 #24 Southern Boys
\/        \/
  \/     \/
   \|  |/
    (. .)
      U
Mikes magic pro staff
National Fishing Lure collectors club
North American Hunt club life member

New Page 3

Google Ad