New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: AaronS's 2009 Ohio bowhunt  (Read 781 times)

Offline AaronS

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • Prepper Community
  • 12 Point
AaronS's 2009 Ohio bowhunt
« on: November 03, 2009, 09:39:51 AM »
Just returned yesterday afternoon from a 4 day bowhunt in Adams County, Ohio.  While we didnít bag a buck, we had a great time. 

While there, we stayed at the Cozy Hideaway which is a very out-of-the-way place 9 miles east of West Union in the southern part of the county.  Hereís a link to their website:
http://www.cozyhideaway.org/cozychalet.php

We hunted in the northern part of the county with Brush Creek Adventures of Ohio.
http://www.bcaofohio.com/index.htm
If youíre looking for a semi-guided hunt in the land of big deer (only a few miles from where the Amish buck was killed in í06), this might be the place for you.  If youíre looking for a fully guided hunt with pre-hung stands and lodging/meals furnished, it is not.  Ace, the outfitter, took us out to one of the farms he leases and showed us around Friday, showing us the boundaries and where deer traditionally have traveled.  It was then up to us to scout and choose a tree and hang our stands.

Here is a sample of the area we hunted.  All I can say is that Adams County, Ohio is beautiful country.

Friday afternoon while we were hanging stands, we had a stiff south wind and 81 degrees.  Less than ideal conditions.  We hung stands and opted to wait to hunt until the next morning.  A front moved through that night dumping rain all night and into the morning, with the temp dropping into the 40s.  We got wet Saturday morning and saw a little action, but not a bunch.  I saw a few does and a small buck that morning and one nice 1.5 yr old buck that evening, and the guy hunting with me saw a few throughout the day.  He watched 3 bucks chase a doe out to an isolated woodlot in the middle of a pasture, one of which looked to be a shooter.

Sunday morning brought frost, sun, and no wind.  A beautiful morning to be on stand.  I didnít see any that morning, but my hunting buddy saw several.  He saw a few bucks searching for does and had a 150 class 10 ptr come within 45 yards, only to bust him in the tree.  I moved to a new tree Sunday evening and saw one off in the brush.  That evening, the deer seemed to move to the top of the hill instead of the bottom where they had been.

Monday morning, last morning of the hunt.  Another morning with frost, sun, and light wind.  Monday was MY day to see deer.  All total I saw 6 bucks that morning, one of which was a beautiful 140 class 8 ptr and the last being a 10 ptr that would score in the mid 150s.  Both of these shooters were with does, and well out of bow range.  I may have been able to score on both if I would have been carrying my muzzleloader instead of my bow.

This trip was not without its challenges.  For starters, my cousin who was going to hunt with us had to cancel the day before we left due to a death in the family.  Then, mother nature tried her best to work against us as well.  Thanks to all the rain weíve had this year, none of the corn in the area we hunted had been shelled yet.  We saw deer come out of it occasionally, but who knows how many deer never left the standing corn.  Lastly, we had a full moon all weekend.  Perfect conditions for deer to run all night.  Regardless, we had a great time, and the timing was perfect to catch the rutting activity there.  I hope to make it back to hunt there again some day.
If God had a refrigerator, your picture would be on it.
1 cross + 3 nails = 4given

NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
QDMA Member

www.santapawspetpark.com

Offline cowmanhunter

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: AaronS's 2009 Ohio bowhunt
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 09:43:44 AM »
Sounds like a great hunt and you saw deer so it was a good hunt. Great pics and thanks for sharing your hunt @--0--0133
CMH
32 years hunting experiece and learning daily.
If Your Gonna Be Stupid You Gotta Be Tough.
If you find yourself in a hole, The first thing you do is stop digging.
Phill. 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice!

Offline TopCat

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 09:56:33 AM »
God is good isn't he? It is not always about the harvest, sometimes it is just enjoying the miracles that He made for us.    Good luck next trip.      %^$^
TopCatRetired Deputy SheriffRealtorLife Member NAHCentershot InstructorMember NWTF Committe MemberBowhunter*Christian*

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 10:01:47 AM »
sounds like agreat hunt!

thanks for sharing!! @--0--0123 @--0--0133 @--0--0130
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 11:25:57 AM »
Sounds like a nice place and a Good Time.Sorry it didn't work out.

Offline bones

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 4 Point
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 01:06:03 PM »
Sounds like the hunt was everything you expected except the bonus of tagging a buck which can't be expected every time.  Best of luck back home over the plots Aaron!

Offline AaronS

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • Prepper Community
  • 12 Point
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 02:10:43 PM »
Thanks everyone.  Yeah bones, we didn't "expect" to kill a buck, that would have been icing on the cake.  We'd really like to come back at some time in the future.
If God had a refrigerator, your picture would be on it.
1 cross + 3 nails = 4given

NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
QDMA Member

www.santapawspetpark.com

Offline Buckshot

• Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 08:35:21 PM »
Aaron I was wondering how your trip went to BCA.
I missed this thread some how and I am glad you had a good time and seen deer to boot.
It would have been great to see a pic of you by one of those big bucks but maybe next time.
Butternut Lures
09' Alphamax 32
06' Trykon
QAD HD Rest
NO-PEEP
100gr. NAP Nightmare
TRU-FIRE 360 Elite
X-Weave Arrows

New Page 3

Google Ad