New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Ever regret not buying a rifle?  (Read 909 times)

Offline Steve S

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
    • cobbs legion hunting club
Ever regret not buying a rifle?
« on: October 29, 2009, 12:30:52 PM »
I STILL get mad at myself over this. Long, long ago I found a Colt 30-06 bolt action in a local pawn shop, it was in perfect condition, not a mark on the wood and the woodwork was a work of art, the most beautiful wood I've ever seen on a weapon, outclassed even the Weatherby's of the time, the shop had it priced at a 1000.00 and wouldn't budge of the price. I talked to my wife about it and she said if you want that bad buy it, I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for a rifle, knowing I'd put it in the safe and never use it to hunt with. I still think about that rifle to this day and regret not buying it, just wondered if this has happened to anyone else?

Offline Jaeger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
    • http://www.kassnerlaw.com/
Re: Ever regret not buying a rifle?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 01:16:06 PM »
Just once, early on, a Styer Model M Professional in 6.5x55.  Ever since then I've taken my Moms advice.  Buy it when you see it, you may not see it again.  I now have a lot of rifles I probably have no need for, the money is long gone and I'm glad I got each and every one of them when I did.

I'm deer hunting with a 38-72 Winchester 1895 flatside this season.  Pure wool complets the ensamble.  The 30-06 1895 take down is showing headspace problems.

Money is fleeting, guns are forever.  Winchester Model 24's are the biggest side by side bargains going.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 01:18:32 PM by Jaeger »
NRA Life Member
NYS Lifetime Sportsman,
Trapping, Bowhunting and
Muzzleloading License Holder
NYS Tracking Dog License Holder

Offline DLR

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • God is my solid rock in which I lean on.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 02:06:18 PM »
I once had a chance at buying a Winchester model 70 in .264 win mag. It to was in great condition, the person wanted to sell it for $250.00. I should have jumped on that deal, but I told the person he would regret selling it after his current money situation improved. So I did not buy it from him. I do not know if the person ever sold that gun or not but now I wished I would have.
Attended 2010 WKH Hog Hunt
Team Turbo Nock
YHEC Volunteer
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
Maryland Safety Instructor
Attended Eastern Anniversary Party
Attended 2010 Campout
 Graduate of Ultimate Medical Academy 2012

Offline RoughRiderND

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 05:16:46 PM »
I once had a chance at buying a Winchester model 70 in .264 win mag. It to was in great condition, the person wanted to sell it for $250.00. I should have jumped on that deal, but I told the person he would regret selling it after his current money situation improved. So I did not buy it from him. I do not know if the person ever sold that gun or not but now I wished I would have.

Not sure if it's the same gun, but if your guy moved to Bismarck, ND, three years ago, I bought the rifle from him for $300.00, got everything but the box it came in. I mean relaoding dies, factory brass, bullets, podwer and primers. Did I mention the RCBS Rockchucker also?  The rifle was and is pristine.

So rest assured, that if it was the same guy, the gun got a new home! Visitation rights can be arranged.

6 years preparing with father and brother
57 years tramping fields and streams harvesting and eating the products of fin, feather and fur.

Offline chuckwagon

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
    • The Camo Gamer
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 05:44:01 PM »
The only one's I have regretted passing up have been the sks rifles for sale years back.  I could have bought countless numbers of them for about $90, still in the sleeve.  I own an sks, but I could have made a fortune from reselling them, since the cheapest I have seen them go for in the past years have been $300 and that was in o.k. condition. 
NRA Member

Democracy: Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
Liberty:  A well armed sheep contesting the outcome.

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 08:34:09 PM »
In my case, it was not a rifle, but a shotgun.  I went to a garage sale that was advertised as a "Sportsman" Sale.  the ad listed a bunch of stuff, including a Midway case tumbler (which I wanted)  Anyway, I got there about 9 am, thinking that all the good stuff would be gone.  Lo and behold, the tumbler was there (which I bought), along with a beautiful Ruger Red Label o/u.  I couldn't believe the man was asking $600 for that gun.  I thought about it and thought some more, and I finally decided to pass it up, even though I had $500 mad money in my wallet!  Passing up that Red Label is something that I will ALWAYS  regret.   
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 08:37:15 PM »
The only one's I have regretted passing up have been the sks rifles for sale years back.  I could have bought countless numbers of them for about $90, still in the sleeve.  I own an sks, but I could have made a fortune from reselling them, since the cheapest I have seen them go for in the past years have been $300 and that was in o.k. condition. 

Chuckwagon,
I have a friend whose brother has a FFL.  At one time, he was buying cases of SKS's, and selling them for $67!  My friend was upset 'cause his own brother didn't even call him to let him know.  He only found out after the supply of SKS's ran out.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

New Page 3

Google Ad