New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Deer Cane tips  (Read 10005 times)

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Deer Cane tips
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 03:50:03 AM »
I have found that a clay soil works better than sandy soil. I start my mineral site with a 50lb mineral block. I'll dig a hole and place the block in it and as the mineral block melts it will leach into the soil. I will later pour deer cocaine into the site a few times a year. It may take them alittle while to find it but once they start they'll continue to use the site. Bubba Brown's Brown sugar and salt receipe works great also. I've got two sites on our property that I started a few years back and starting in the spring and summer the deer just tear them up.  @--0--0101
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Sulborsky

• Fawn
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 05:55:25 PM »
It's easy to apply .I just put some liquid form of deer cane down on state land. The deer love it but watch out the bears do too. All you need to do is brush away the leaves and pour it on the exposed ground. You should be fine. Good Luck!

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 06:21:39 AM »
 I don't know about deer cane ...It's not legal to use in NYS ...but some years ago I found a very old container of cherry coolaid way in the back of the pantry....well I wanted the plastic container so walked out in the hedge row and dumped it.....You'd have thought I'd rung a dinner bell because in 2 days the dogs were going crazy at night and then in the early mornings we saw what the commotion was about...the deer were at the dump spot ..I checked the area and deer ..raccoon....squirrel...I think skunk or possum...well not much hadn't visited that spot to dig in the dirt and left tracks.....

Now in NY if deer or bear visit your yards BIRD feeder they can fine you for feeding and baiting wild life @--0--0122...so it's the garbage for things like that now

Offline Huntinggrandma

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Me when I was in uniform, for wedding annoucement
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 09:17:00 AM »
I don't know about deer cane ...It's not legal to use in NYS ...but some years ago I found a very old container of cherry coolaid way in the back of the pantry....well I wanted the plastic container so walked out in the hedge row and dumped it.....You'd have thought I'd rung a dinner bell because in 2 days the dogs were going crazy at night and then in the early mornings we saw what the commotion was about...the deer were at the dump spot ..I checked the area and deer ..raccoon....squirrel...I think skunk or possum...well not much hadn't visited that spot to dig in the dirt and left tracks.....

Now in NY if deer or bear visit your yards BIRD feeder they can fine you for feeding and baiting wild life @--0--0122...so it's the garbage for things like that now
Yes they are getting carried away here, you cannot feed birds if deer come in to pickup the spilled seeds. Lee showed me an article where someone in NY was fined for this.
A life member of NRA
NY lifetime Sportmen License holder
US Army WAC vet 62-68 SP5

Offline johnappel

• Fawn
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 06:22:18 PM »
I had success with deer cane black magic on the edge of a trail leading to a field.  If you want a more beneficial mineral check out Tagout.
NAHC trophy life member
Nra member
Clean and Sober hunter

Online King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 8 Point
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2018, 04:39:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum John888.

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2018, 05:45:25 PM »
I have had mineral licks in the same place for 7 years , I started them right on trails in the woods , took about a week before they were being hit really hard . Put the deer cane where you know they will find it and then refresh it regularly .  ##$%#1118   mine are out year round .  @--0--0118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

New Page 3

Google Ad