New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Deer Cane tips  (Read 10624 times)

Offline d-redd

• Spike
Deer Cane tips
« on: October 27, 2009, 02:42:12 PM »
I bought some deer cane a month or so ago and I was wondering if anyone has tips on how to use it?  Location, presentation, that sort of tips.

Offline 4CORN

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
  • 2010 PRIZE WINNER
Re: Deer Cane tips
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 02:55:45 PM »
I usually just pour it on a stump along a frequently used trail.
When they outlaw guns, only the outlaws will have guns.
32 years hunting
NRA member
Suffolk Archers member

Offline tiller

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
    • Hooks & Bullets Magazine
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 03:00:31 PM »
It does not always work... But, if you move the location it might. Deer are very finicky about where they will use it at. I have mineral licks that they wont use and are right next to a trail and then I have some that were off the trail a bit and they like. You just have to try it to see if they like it there and move it it they don't.
Michigan's Hooks & Bullets Magazine, Co-owner / Publisher
First Flights Aviation Services, Aerial Photography
Cutting Edge Bindery LLC

Offline d-redd

• Spike
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 03:09:27 PM »
That is why I was asking.  I read a while back that it is best to pour it off of a well used trail but I have been reading on here a lot of people out out minerals on the trail.  I guess like you said do it one way and if it doesn't work do it the other way.  By "off of of the trail" do you mean a foot off or 20 feet off?

Offline tiller

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
    • Hooks & Bullets Magazine
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 03:36:24 PM »
Just a few feet off the trail.
Michigan's Hooks & Bullets Magazine, Co-owner / Publisher
First Flights Aviation Services, Aerial Photography
Cutting Edge Bindery LLC

Offline deerandyote

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Thanks TH and WTI.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 05:45:23 PM »
It does not always work... But, if you move the location it might. Deer are very finicky about where they will use it at. I have mineral licks that they wont use and are right next to a trail and then I have some that were off the trail a bit and they like. You just have to try it to see if they like it there and move it it they don't.

i have noticied that deer would use it in certain soil too.
Learner by Trial And Error
Keep Calm and Chive On

Offline d-redd

• Spike
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 05:48:18 PM »
What about sandy somewhat acidic soil?  I think that is the best description I can make of the soil.

Offline hawghunter65

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 07:10:39 PM »
in the past have put close to a trail in cover where they feel safe and not exposed.  i always dig a small depression about 3 inches deep and pour in mixing in soil well.  some people even put a plastic garbage can or storage lid in the ground about 6 inches deep and then mix in deer cane, especially in sandy soil so it doesn't sink into the ground too quickly.  the deer will usually eat dirt and all.  i try to put mine on a small raised area with the above techniques so they can see and smell approaching danger.  works well for mineral blocks also which don't have as much salt in them.

@--0--0138
Brad Gordon, Staff Writer TH
52 years of chasing fur and feathers
NRA member
Past member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Member National Wild Turkey Federation
WTI user, grower, and believer
Matthew's bows
"Bone Collector" Team Member

Offline deerhunter9

• Button Buck
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 08:47:08 PM »
How has the mineral been going?  I have some and I am curious.

Offline hunting is great

• 6 Point
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 08:23:49 PM »
I tried some last year, put it on a stump along side the run.  Not much luck with it.

Offline mac0823

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • My little piece of heaven
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 10:17:37 PM »
I agree that some spots work and others don't.  Try a little in a spot, if they don't hit - try another spot.  When they start to hit a spot, then continue to pour the rest of your minerals or whatever.  I have a spot they like and have continued to use it over the last 2 years - I just keep refreshing the area.

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 12:53:32 AM »
What you may want to try is to put it on or near a trail and put some buckjam on it to get their attention , I use apple flavor , it has a scent that they can't miss .  @--0--0101
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 12:25:29 AM by sundowner »
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline arrowslinger

• Button Buck
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 01:21:14 AM »
i think the best ive used is the 30-06 mineral from whitetail institute. I put some out on a pile of corn, set up a trail cam and had over 600 pics in 3 weeks. i know it was the same 20-30 deer using it but there were new bucks in some of the pics that i had never seen on the cam before. two nights in a row a group of 6 bucks came back for more until it was gone.  awesome stuff, give it a try.

Offline deerhunter9

• Button Buck
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 08:50:01 PM »
that's a pretty good idea, I'll have to give it a try.

Offline ddejong

• Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 09:13:18 PM »
I love the stuff.  I like to keep them in eye site of my stands, but not too close.  Pick your spot wisely, though, as they will make a nice big hole there if you keep it refreshed!  I started a spot near an atv trail and quickly realized my mistake when they got that hole started.  The hole will hold water and expand and it was in a spot a bit too low, a bit too close to my atv trail....the hole spread to my trail, standing water resulted, I started putting in ruts with my atv, and those are hard to deal with. 

New Page 3

Google Ad