New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Neutralizing the fertilizers... queston  (Read 7736 times)

Offline ghost

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
Neutralizing the fertilizers... queston
« on: October 24, 2009, 12:09:50 AM »
I know the chemicals in the fertilizers we use are real trouble on metals.
My question would be what's the best way to clean up the aluminum spinner plates that are on the spreaders (ATV models) after spreading? Is just washing them down good with clean water good enough or is there a more thorough and better way to keep the fertilizers from eating up the metal parts of the spreaders?
Courage is not about medals.
It's simple, you run towards the gun fire not away from it.     Semper Fi....

Offline cowmanhunter

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Neutralizing the fertilizers... queston
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 07:05:24 AM »
Ghost I clean mine up real well and then coat them in oil and leave it on, dont know if its right but it works for me.
CMH
32 years hunting experiece and learning daily.
If Your Gonna Be Stupid You Gotta Be Tough.
If you find yourself in a hole, The first thing you do is stop digging.
Phill. 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice!

Offline Jaeger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
    • http://www.kassnerlaw.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 08:36:32 AM »
Ghost, thanks, this needs to be brought up more often.

I had a $1200 repair to my gator this spring because the fertilizer in the mud on my transmission ate a hole through the transmission housing.  Fertilizer is highly corrosive.

Its not just what you tow that needs a thorough cleaning, its your expensive atv/utv that need it more, each and every time.

I now make it a habit to hose down the underside of my gator every time I spread lime and/or fertilizer.  I also hit it with a spray of silicone, don't know if it helps, but it makes me feel good. 

I do not need another avoidable repair like that again!!!!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 08:38:14 AM by Jaeger »
NRA Life Member
NYS Lifetime Sportsman,
Trapping, Bowhunting and
Muzzleloading License Holder
NYS Tracking Dog License Holder

Offline ghost

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 05:47:28 PM »
Thanks for the great advice. I think I may even try to position some type of splash guard tarp or something to help in keeping it off my ATV to begin with. There is an aluminum plate behind the spinner but I found when I was spreading grandular lime, some of it bounced back on me....
Definately don't want to 'eat up' my investments....

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 08:13:22 PM »
Treat it like an acid spill from battery first. We use baking soda and water to break up the chemical before proceeding to anything else. If not you are just covering up what is all ready there and it will still do its damage.

Offline ghost

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 09:49:42 PM »
Treat it like an acid spill from battery first. We use baking soda and water to break up the chemical before proceeding to anything else. If not you are just covering up what is all ready there and it will still do its damage.

Should be able to mix up a box of baking soda in a gallon sprayer and use it only to nutrilize any equipment needing it. Then do a second rinse with plain clean water. Thanks WVW appreciate it. I've see what fertilizers do to coins I find int he fields with my metal detector and they ain't pretty......

Offline AaronS

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • Prepper Community
  • 12 Point
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 03:21:15 PM »
I wash good with soap and water then give all metal a thick coat of WD-40.
If God had a refrigerator, your picture would be on it.
1 cross + 3 nails = 4given

NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
QDMA Member

www.santapawspetpark.com

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 04:12:39 PM »
i spray my down with a bottle of spray lube.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline Possum

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 04:37:19 PM »
I have sprayed mine with PAM for Grills before spreading the fertilizers, Then spread the fertilizers follow by spreading my Seed...
Afterwards I spray again with the Pam again and drop Lube. Oil on the Movable parts...
Knock on Wood no problems the last two years...

Possum
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline deerandyote

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Thanks TH and WTI.
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 05:26:41 PM »
Wow eating through the transmission...
Learner by Trial And Error
Keep Calm and Chive On

Offline dennis engeman

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 10:50:27 PM »
acid neutralizes acid-baking soda bath is probably the cheapest deterrant ,only leave it on for some time before rinsing it off.Try not getting it on your seat or any absorbing material-pull your seat and hit your battery at the same time.(it won't hurt)also recomend using garden hose pressure at the most ,don't use hi pressure on it because of water intrusion on electrical parts(they are built water resistant,NOT waterproof)

Offline CowGirlDeer

• 10 Point
  • God gave us a place of peace....THE GREAT OUTDOORS
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 09:06:58 AM »
Fertiliers..... Let's see the basic major nutrients are N (Nitrogen), P (Phosphorus) and K (Potassium)....Seondary nutrients CA (Calcium), Mg (Magnesium), S(sulfur)...micronutrients B (Boron), C (Cholride) Cu (Copper) Iron (fe) Manganese (Mn), Molybdenum (Mo) and Zinc (Zn)...

Some of the above are highly corrosive......

You lime the soil to reduce the alumium and other metal toxicities...aluminum acts as an acidic element and activates hydrogen ions.  An acid is a substance that releases hydrogen ions.   Whnever PH is low (acidity is high), one or more deterimental effects may depress crop growth.  Basically, when having alumimum around any fertilizer or lime for that matter, you are going to have a chemical reaction.

The concept of baking soda as a base is based on trying to reduce just the acidticity, but remember their is a chemcial reation involed esp when Alum is present in the implement or power unit in question....after much deliberation and discussing with a bunch of "good 'ol boys" who make their living off the land....best pratice is to wash off the implment and underside of the power unit in question and skip the baking soda...... oiling after washing of the implement is another BMP....
You have two choices: do something or do nothing!!!!

When did common sense stop being the norm and became the exception?

Offline bugfixer

• Administrator
  • 12 Point
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 10:11:09 AM »
Fertilizer is acidic. So washing everything down with baking soda or lots of soap and water with help. Soaps and baking soda are both bases, and will help neutralized the acid. Next I use a paint brush and coat everything good with oil. I usually have some sort of motor oil laying around, and I use that. It coats better WD40 and some of the other sprays.

Offline A Clear Answer

• Fawn
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 08:22:35 AM »
Ghost,

Here's a thought for you.  Try cleaning your ATV to remove corrosive materials then coat it with a clear coat for a more permanent resistance to the corrosive materials.  Take a look at the products from Nyalic.  I've had good success with their process.  Check out this video and their website.

Nyalic Polaris Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8b6IqQ_pOc

www.nyalic.com

New Page 3

Google Ad