New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: synthetic  (Read 1020 times)

Offline pa deerslayer

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
synthetic
« on: October 23, 2009, 06:51:12 PM »
for years I would buy wood stocked rifles,basically because eynthetic weren,t even thought of let alone availiable.as the years went buy I noticed my rifles had typical scratches from driving deer,and field use. As the price of weapons escalated I began to buy synthitics for this reason.Today with what I call high priced weapons between 600 and 900 dollars for me now I wont buy or even consider taking one afield.just seems to me weapons are becoming to expensive to mutilate.

Offline pa deerslayer

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
Re: synthetic
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 06:54:21 PM »
ps,right now i own 4, 270s,1 06,and a 243,and a 22, all synthetic and lower end rifles. 2 mossberg atrs,1 ibolt,1 charles daly field grade,amd a savage,the 22 is a marlin.

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 12:57:21 AM »
The new bows are also in that price range , if you look at what those same rifles cost years ago the overall value is about the same I think . After all the dings and things bring back the hunts that you where on when the ding happened .  @--0--0117
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline cowmanhunter

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 07:14:27 AM »
This just my opinion and I understand completely where you are coming from. Cars and trucks cost 30000 dollars and up atvs cost 5000 and up. I still use em because if I dont there was no point in buying them. I definately have some guns I consider collectibles and I have my hunting guns. Price does not keep from using them if I want to hunt with them I do. I have  a 25 year old a bolt browning woodstock 270 I remember every scratch and ding in it with great memories. I have a fairly new custom .257 weatherby and I hunt deer with it every year and I dont care that it cost 10 times what my a bolt cost I bought it to hunt.

Everything costs too much in my opinion but a s the country song say their aint no going back, so enjoy, this is the only life we get, @--0--0133
CMH
32 years hunting experiece and learning daily.
If Your Gonna Be Stupid You Gotta Be Tough.
If you find yourself in a hole, The first thing you do is stop digging.
Phill. 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice!

Offline hawghunter65

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 09:54:47 AM »
i like synthetic due to better accuracy and take alot more pounding.

@--0--0138
Brad Gordon, Staff Writer TH
52 years of chasing fur and feathers
NRA member
Past member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Member National Wild Turkey Federation
WTI user, grower, and believer
Matthew's bows
"Bone Collector" Team Member

Offline rhawkins

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 09:09:17 AM »
I love the new materials that stocks are being made of today.  Wood is beautiful but it gets beat up in the woods and requires more maintenance.  Weight is another factor.  Accuracy requires practice and I haven't suffered from using any of the new man-made materials. 
Randy Hawkins
USAF, MSgt (ret)
Lifetime NRA Member
NWTF Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman

Deer Hunting and Land/Wildlife Management Rocks

Offline PensacolaEd

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 11:30:32 AM »
I'm a traditionalist, I prefer the look of a rifle with a fine walnut stock. I have a couple guns with really nice wood, and I just try to handle them carefully so as not to get nicks or scratches in them when I use them. I don't care to own guns with synthetic stocks, although I have a few.

Ed

Offline bcotton

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 01:13:20 PM »
I am kinda the same as PensacolaEd.  I love the looks of the wood grain, and it reminds my of my dad and grandad cleaning or working on their stocks.  I also love the weight of the wood.  These synthetic guns make me feel like I am carrying a pop gun.  The synthetic guns are fine, I just prefer the wood. -0078
BC

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 08:04:55 PM »
I still use wood myself but I purchase synthetic for my son. He could break a rubber mallet.

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 07:15:51 AM »
I still use wood myself but I purchase synthetic for my son. He could break a rubber mallet.

--099-780 --099-780

I use wood myself too, and some of the synthetic stocks I've seen look pretty attractive, but they just don't seem to have the same feel.   
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline BOGO

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Double Droptine
  • Is Ready for Turkey Season!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »
This just my opinion and I understand completely where you are coming from. Cars and trucks cost 30000 dollars and up atvs cost 5000 and up. I still use em because if I dont there was no point in buying them. I definately have some guns I consider collectibles and I have my hunting guns. Price does not keep from using them if I want to hunt with them I do. I have  a 25 year old a bolt browning woodstock 270 I remember every scratch and ding in it with great memories. I have a fairly new custom .257 weatherby and I hunt deer with it every year and I dont care that it cost 10 times what my a bolt cost I bought it to hunt.

Everything costs too much in my opinion but a s the country song say their aint no going back, so enjoy, this is the only life we get, @--0--0133

Amen to that!! We sure aint never gonna go back, enjoy it while you got it.
Its not always about the Harvest.Its about all the events & memories the Good Lord Blessed you with during the Hunt.Those are the Real Trophys!Remember to Love this land & Pass It on(25years experience of chasin Beards & Bucks)
*Pro Staff for Straight Creek Calls

Offline glenpinpat

• 6 Point
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 02:09:24 PM »
all my guns now have synthetic stocks as I find they take a beating better and I do not have to sand them down every 2 years.

Offline bones

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 4 Point
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 08:58:40 AM »
The last time I carried my wood stock 300 Mag for a week I could feel it in my shoulder.  Sure I like the look of a wooden stock but anymore my go to rifle once season comes around is stainless with synthetic stock.  IMO, they are the best all weather combination out there. Well, unless you want to shell out the $$$$ for a titanium. 

As for dings and scratches, when you hunt hard those things will happen.

New Page 3

Google Ad