New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: different calibers  (Read 2086 times)

Offline bones

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 4 Point
Re: different calibers
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 09:45:09 AM »
Many good points already brough up.  All my rifles calibers are the 50+ years old ones.  But I always find myself window shopping these new calibers.  I don't even own a 3.5" 12 guage and I bet 75% of turkey hunters now use them.  Some stand by the motto "don't fix it if it ain't broke" while others are always striving for improvement.  I'd say I'm somewhere inbetween.

I like some of the new calibers but not the price tags on them.  Maybe one day I'll let some moths out of my wallet on one.  --099-780

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 10:42:19 AM »
It's not NEED it's WANT more speed and bigger and bigger magnums with some people and that is fine by me get want you want that's why there are sooo many guns out there-- I have a 300wsm I think that is all I need for the hunting I do Black bear hogs and long range -- pronghorn one day I hope-- I use a 300 savage to kill whitetails every year.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline ManMountain

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 12:14:25 AM »
My .270 will do the job for just about any NA game I chose to hunt.  But how could I tell my wife she did bad by buying me a Tikka in 300WSM for our anniversary?  I just didn't have the heart to hurt her feelings!  I do like the short bolt action and the composite stock though...  Maybe she was planning on sending me moose hunting for a future aniversary....?!?

If it comes down to it, my old Marlin 30-30 works great for hunting in Michigan.  But we bought a big safe and it needs to be full to make sure it doesn't tip over with only a few guns on one side.... --099-780

Careful, your letting you considerate/sensitive side show through. @--0--0105

Dave
I've had the huntin bug for 49 years now.

Offline BubbaBrown

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Life is good at The Deer Camp!
    • The Deer Camp
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 01:36:47 AM »
Most popular rounds are the same size bullet, 30-06, 30-30, .308, 7mm, etc. with a little more or less powder. It's kinda like making changes just to keep us interested in whatever is new or different. They are but not much. Just use a 30-06 and reload with more or less powder, same difference. JMO
Semi-Retired & Over the Hill

2009 TalkHunting Sportsman of the Year
www.thedeercamp.com
2009 TALK HUNTING WILD GAME COOK-OFF CHAMPION
Cpl. USMC 1970-1972, MOS 6064, Parachute Rigger

Offline rhawkins

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2009, 10:23:05 PM »
The same reason you get new car models is the same reason we see all these new gun/rifle calibers rolling out of the gun companies. Honestly, does there need to be a better deer rifle created for North American big game than has been available in the last 30 years?  They need to sell us new products and the only way to do that is for us to wear out what we have or convince us that what we have is no longer good enough.  I haven't worn out a rifle yet.  I have a 30-30 that is 40 years old and I hunt with it every year.  I hope that my son or daughter will hunt with it one day as well. 
Randy Hawkins
USAF, MSgt (ret)
Lifetime NRA Member
NWTF Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman

Deer Hunting and Land/Wildlife Management Rocks

Offline copnjax

• 10 Point
  • My 10 pt. / 240 lb. Buck
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2009, 07:38:49 AM »
I too, have a lot of rifles, shotguns, etc. but, my preferred rifle for deer hunting is my Browning A-bolt .300 WSM.  It has velocity and range, which means to me that I could use it to hunt anything in N. America.  I see no need for the "bigger and better" stuff coming out.
Retired after 34 yrs. on Jacksonville (Fl.) Police Dept.  19 yrs. in patrol and last 15 yrs. in C.S.I.
Now I can hunt and go bass fishing anytime I want!  Started deer hunting in 2007 but, had many years as a teen hunting rabbits and squirrels.

Offline LS1 man

• Fawn
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2009, 12:58:39 PM »
Man, I like your reasoning, It makes perfect sense to me.

My .270 will do the job for just about any NA game I chose to hunt.  But how could I tell my wife she did bad by buying me a Tikka in 300WSM for our anniversary?  I just didn't have the heart to hurt her feelings!  I do like the short bolt action and the composite stock though...  Maybe she was planning on sending me moose hunting for a future aniversary....?!?

If it comes down to it, my old Marlin 30-30 works great for hunting in Michigan.  But we bought a big safe and it needs to be full to make sure it doesn't tip over with only a few guns on one side.... --099-780
Steve

Offline BBAcres

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
  • Jeremiah 16:16
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2009, 06:46:55 PM »
Marketing tells advertising to promote something to convince all that it really is something we need instead of what we want. Stick with the proven calibers and resist the drive to buy something just to have a story to boast about. As I said in another post........my Dad used a 35 for years and now I have used it for over 36 years. In my opinion, in my neck of the woods, it is one  hard to beat. Another good one I like is the 243!

Offline switchbackxt

• Button Buck
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2009, 10:45:43 PM »
The bottom line is that if you have a 22, 12 gauge and 30-06 you can hunt and kill anything you want.  I like shooting and loading and in turn I like having different rounds to play with.  So I guess it has nothing to do with need just want. 

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2009, 05:14:26 AM »
the real answer is no we don't need all the extra velocity. a 30-30 or 44mag works fine in close quarters. 30-06 will do just about anything else. people just want the lastest and greatest and the manufacturers are more than happy to supply it.

more toys!  more sales for the grown ups!  yeap!!
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline cowmanhunter

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2009, 07:32:26 AM »
the real answer is no we don't need all the extra velocity. a 30-30 or 44mag works fine in close quarters. 30-06 will do just about anything else. people just want the lastest and greatest and the manufacturers are more than happy to supply it.

Works for me. The difference between Men and Boys is the price of their toys. @--0--0118 @--0--0118
CMH
32 years hunting experiece and learning daily.
If Your Gonna Be Stupid You Gotta Be Tough.
If you find yourself in a hole, The first thing you do is stop digging.
Phill. 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice!

Offline charlie denton

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2009, 02:49:16 PM »
the price of the toys .yep,i am an old poor guy unlike some i have a gun or 2 but i would say mine are the cheep ones like fie 44 and t.c 50 cal, rem 30.06, mar 22,and a mavrick 12 ga.pump, that i use and a gun or 2 i have put a side .and if you own a browning you have more money in it than i do all of mine.as most of mine were used guns or given to me. but they do what i want them to do.
charlie denton my dad started me hunting at age 6 with a 22 single shot riffle  been hunting almost 52 years hope to hunt another 52 years

Offline Jaeger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
    • http://www.kassnerlaw.com/
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2009, 08:31:23 PM »

Works for me. The difference between Men and Boys is the price of their toys. @--0--0118 @--0--0118

Ditto"

Its works for me.

I'm old school, I'd have a 7X57 than a 7-08, a 6.5 x 55 rather than a .260, a .300 H&H mag than a 300 wsm wssm wh whatchamacallet.  Pure 98 Mauser than 70 winchester or God forbid ruger 77 attempts at the same.

Its all good that we have these options.  new 6.5x55 have the wrong head size, same with 7x57.  I'm dating myself, Ruark, Aagarrard, Taylor, etc. oh well.

The more the merrier!!
NRA Life Member
NYS Lifetime Sportsman,
Trapping, Bowhunting and
Muzzleloading License Holder
NYS Tracking Dog License Holder

New Page 3

Google Ad