New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Poll

Jim Shockey's Gold pioneer powder

yes
1 (20%)
no
4 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: August 30, 2008, 04:42:14 AM

Author Topic: JIM SHOCKEY'S GOLD PIONEER POWDER  (Read 4329 times)

Offline BOW HUNTER

• 7 Point
Re: JIM SHOCKEY'S GOLD PIONEER POWDER
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 04:26:12 PM »
 So if you put the cover back on it seals out all moisture from getting in? My dad didn't want to break the seal on the container, thinking that if he opened it it would collect moisture through the cover.
N. Hoffmann, Racine,WI

Offline foxhunter126

• 10 Point
  • Foxhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 05:33:41 PM »
I personally have not tried Shockey's gold but have tried most of the other "in-line" recommended powders like triple 7, pyrodex, etc. Yes, they are cleaner--yes they come in pellets, yes the gun cleans quicker---but, at the end to the day, I always go back to my old favorite that still shoots stronger and hits harder than anything else I have ever tried. My favorite is good old GOEX black powder and I shoot 100 grains in FFFG. I have not found anything that outperforms it. So it takes a bit longer to clean, that is part of the deal when you hunt hard! Don't let the triple F scare you, I found it recommended in one of the leading reloading books years ago and have stuck with it.
Eat,Sleep,Hunt
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Wild Turkey Federation
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Region 8 Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)
Executive Committee NYS Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2008, 09:11:52 PM »
Bo hunter as always keep the lid on the bottle as much as you can . I have pyrodex , Goex   bottles that I started to use 2 years ago that are still fine . I use smaller flasks when I shoot . -0078
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline BOW HUNTER

• 7 Point
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 09:15:28 PM »
Thanks Sundowner, I'm not sure if my dad is a little neverous having never shot a black powder or what. But that was his excuse as to why we didn't need to shoot it that day. I'm going to a broadhead shoot tomorrow with him and I'll let him know.
N. Hoffmann, Racine,WI

Offline coyote

• Button Buck
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 10:01:08 PM »
I've used black powder for years, used the APP for the past few years.
If you are looking for something that makes loading and cleaning easier and faster this is the solution!

As with all of 'em, keep 'em dry or you'll lose yur top notch.
Coyote

Offline 1frozenhillbilly

• Fawn
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 11:31:50 AM »
any body want a couple of cans of pyrodex?  after i had 2 loads of it foul i went to the pioneer,  shockeys is the same,  just a little more consistant granule size,  been using it 2 years now and only had one charge foul,  (too much oil on the wipe)  i will keep in mind the moisture question if i get back to alaska but here in colorado its not that big an issue.

Offline dobbie

• 6 Point
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2008, 10:29:20 PM »
I use the Gold Pioneer sticks/50 cal. Have not had any problems. I only use 2 sticks. The clean-up is great.

New Page 3

Google Ad