New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Auto / Bolt pros and Cons  (Read 4030 times)

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • taken around time HG and I were married
Re: Auto / Bolt pros and Cons
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2009, 11:09:49 PM »
I use either a lever action in brush where shots will be under 75 yards and for more open areas I much prefer my bolt for the greater accurcy it provides. -0078 The lever does provide much quicker followup shots, but have not needed a followup shot the last 4 years. Hope that record continues.
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline Hyperhound

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2009, 09:28:50 AM »
You trying to start a fight with this one? 

Depends on what I'm hunting and where.  I have a pump shotgun that I used duck hunting - froze up less than the older semi's.  Bolt centerfire 30-06 - customized Mauser - sweet action.  Semi 22 LR rifle for the bushy tailed tree rats.  Semi shotguns for bird hunting and heavy cover deer hunting.
Teach your children to hunt and fish and you won't have to hunt and fish for your teenagers.

37 years hunting
3 years observing

Offline Huntinggrandma

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Me when I was in uniform, for wedding annoucement
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2009, 06:18:51 PM »
I prefer bolt, don't see a need for semi-auto and Bolt is suppose to be more accurate. However I really prefer lever action myself
A life member of NRA
NY lifetime Sportmen License holder
US Army WAC vet 62-68 SP5

Offline NimrodMn

• Fawn
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2009, 07:19:13 PM »
For center fire rifles I prefer a bolt. I feel they are accurate, easy to clean, and easy to clear if you need to get out a stuck case or snow, etc. We have had semi- auto and bolts both freeze solid when hunting in wet cold conditions. I can always manage to get a frozen bolt to open, but some of the auto's we have to take in and warm up.

For shot guns I like double barrels, but shoot auto's most of the time. 

My 22's are auto's

Offline Backdraft94

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • The future of hunting
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2009, 06:56:34 PM »
I own em all, but I prefer my bolt gun, more accurate than a semi, easier to clean...and If you put the first shot where it needs to be you don't need #2 or #3. With practice you learn to work the bolt without ever taking your eyes off the scope. Just incase you need bullet #2. But I will admit my 7400 is fun to shoot!

As for shotguns...I can work my 870 just as fast as you can fire your semi!
Tanner Ridge Hunt Club
"When the tailgate drops, The playin stops!!!!"
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Lousy Hunter!!!!
Member of 4 BigBucks
2nd place 2010 TH Deer Championship

Offline Tumlin_Tumbleweed

• 2008 Sept. Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2009, 11:24:17 PM »
I've got a Rem. 742 30-06, Marlin 30-30 lever action, Rem. 1100 12 ga.  and 2 Ruger bolts, a 30-06 and 25-06. I'm also left handed, and have used right handed guns for years. The reason I've used right handed guns was that if I bought a left handed gun and didn't like it who would I sell it to. Well I found a good deal on a left handed bolt (30-06) and found I really liked it and then I purchased a second one (25-06). I have been accurate with the semi auto as well as the bolts, it depends on the shooter for the accuracy. As for the follow up shots, that again depends on the shooter ability on the first shot, if the shooter knows he/she has a fast 2nd and 3rd shot, they may not take the time needed for the first shot. I feel it all depends on the shooter ability, any type rifle will deliver once sited in properly. Just my thoughts, I was trained to shoot at the rifle range at Paris Island, the first time shooting high powered rifles, shot shotguns and 22's when growing up but no big rifles. Just my 2 cents worth, every one has their own.
Bell South 32 Yrs (Retired)
Staff Sgt  USMCR 20 Yrs,
Sgt ANG  4 Yrs (Retired)
Blue Lodge (29 Yrs)
Zamora Shrine (29 Yrs)
NRA Member

Offline nelsond72

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2009, 08:50:06 AM »
I prefer my bolts, and then my lever actions. I only own 3 semis and can honestly say I have never hunted with them. My bird gun is a pump, my deer rifle is a bolt, and my small game guns are bolts and levers. My old man taught us to hunt and shoot with bolts and levers and that's just what I have always been used to. I picked up a beautiful 300 mag BAR 2 years ago with the intention of using it to hunt and still haven't. The boy likes it though. He prefers the semis no matter what he is doing.
What speak up I can't hear you

Offline wolfie1

• 4 Point
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2009, 06:37:02 AM »
i realize this is an old post, since I'm a newer member, I just wanted to chip in.  Bolt actions are only surpast by single shot rifle for accuracy.  Because of recoil, the semi's have a tendeny to be too sloppy for my use. Also, the bolt actions are basically a one shot rifle.  This being said, the users have a mental tendency to aim more carefully than with a semi.  I have hunted with single shot and bolts all my life.  Except for wing shooting, they are my peference.  I have watched my son use his SKS deer hunting.  His first two shots were aimed, but he would empty his 11 round clip and never hit anything but air. His stepfather, who I don't refer to as a hunter, taught him to shoot like that.  I have finally talked him into using a pump action, which is somewhat of a relief to me, but have deminstrated several times while we were hunting together that it only takes one well placed shot to harvest a deer.  JMHO
The Difference Between Democracy and Liberty:

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.___Ben Franklin

The nine most dangerous words in the english language..."I'm from the gov't and I want to help"

Offline copnjax

• 10 Point
  • My 10 pt. / 240 lb. Buck
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2009, 07:02:23 AM »
I hunt with a Browning A-bolt .300 WSM.  I prefer the bolt due to accuracy.  In my opinion, a bolt-action seats the cartridge better into the chamber, which makes for a more accurate shot.  I load my own so, each and every bullet I use is precisely the same as the one before it. 
Retired after 34 yrs. on Jacksonville (Fl.) Police Dept.  19 yrs. in patrol and last 15 yrs. in C.S.I.
Now I can hunt and go bass fishing anytime I want!  Started deer hunting in 2007 but, had many years as a teen hunting rabbits and squirrels.

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2009, 07:09:28 AM »
I have hunted deer with either a bolt action rifle, or a pump shotgun.  I really don't have a preference, because when I deer hunt, I pick my shots carefully.  All I ask and look for is one good shot, and I don't plan second shots.  As a result, speed or accuracy on follow up shots is a moot point.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline PensacolaEd

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2009, 09:21:31 AM »
I hunt with a BAR in 30-06, and it is plenty accurate. I have often gotten comments from other shooters at the range when they ysee my targets at 100 yards, 5 shots in about an inch, and they always say they didn't know semi-autos could be that accurate.

I rarely if ever take a second shot at a deer, but I aim the first one carefully. I have killed deer cleanly with this rifle out to 250 yards, which is about as far a shot as you'll get most places here in the South. I also own several bolt action riflles, and I like the look and feel of them, but I still prefer to carry my BAR.

Ed

Offline cowmanhunter

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2009, 09:28:50 AM »
The bar is a great rifle and would have no problem hunting with one. I dont plan on taking second shots, I plan on making the first one count. I have had both and I generally hunt with a bolt, that is more personal preference than any true pro or con.
CMH
32 years hunting experiece and learning daily.
If Your Gonna Be Stupid You Gotta Be Tough.
If you find yourself in a hole, The first thing you do is stop digging.
Phill. 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice!

Offline sdwolfden

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2009, 11:47:44 AM »
I Have harvested all but one of my deer with a single shot.  The one that I took a second shot at, had been hit the 1st time but the ammo we had bought didn't have a lot of power.  I shot a second time and actually missed with the ammo previously mentioned.  The deer ran 30 yards and finally went down.  The bullet had lodged in the lung about halfway through.  I was using my bolt action sporterized .303 at the time.  The accuracy is there, but the ammo determines a lot too.
Ethical hunting isn't just about perfect shot placement.  It's also the knowledge that you are an ethical hunter and a true sportsman.  Enjoy the hunt and the experience, whether you shoot something or not.   Live every day as if it's your last.
There's a reason it's called hunting, not shopping

Offline pa deerslayer

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2009, 09:05:27 PM »
well,pa state laws dont allow semi autos,only manually operared.

Offline glenpinpat

• 6 Point
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2009, 11:04:23 AM »
own a rem 35 pump and a cooey 22 bolt tube loader. everthing else i own are semis. I like the reduced recoil. My 11-87 has never givwn me a problem.

New Page 3

Google Ad