New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Newbies  (Read 3784 times)

Offline wolfie1

• 4 Point
Re: Newbies
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2009, 06:41:10 PM »
After reading this thread, I see that myths are still alive and well in the muzzleloader world.  First, the myth of pellets not having flexability in powder loads.  Since they make pellets in both 30gr. and 50gr, by combining these pellets, there is just about as many possibilities in powder loads as one can ask for. Example 2-30gr = 60gr.  a 50gr and a 30gr = 80gr  3-30gr = 90gr.  and so on.  It's basic math.  Second, in-lines can only shoot sabots.  You can shoot ANY bullet that fits the rifle in an in-line.  The reason the manufacturers have suggested sabots and powerbelts is to reduce lead build-up in the barrels which affect the accuracy of the gun and to have a better gas seal without the hassle of using greased patches..  Does that make sabots better?  Not really.  Both sabots and powerbelts use plastic to affect the gas seal.  But what happens to plastic that has been heated?  It melts causing build-up in the barrel, hence the need to swab the barrel after a few shots.  It's just a fact of life.  Plastic IS easier to remove than lead build-up.  Third, pellets don't always ignite.  If you look at both ends of the pellet, you will see that they look different.  One end looks waxy, while the other looks dry and almost grainy.  The waxy looking end is meant to be inserted toward the primer.  They are designed that way so that the powder ignites faster thus reducing miss fires.  Fourth, loose powder isn't as powerful as pellets.  100gr of triple7 loose powder is the same as 2-50gr triple 7 pellets.  It is the exact same powder, just that the pellets are compressed together, it's as simple as that.  Fifth, you need to put a magnum load (150gr of powder) in the in-lines.  If you need a load that has to reach to the maximum distance of your rifle, it can be accoplished by using a lighter bullet with a 100gr charge.  Is it worth overloading your rifle for a few extra yards?  I have never shot over a 100gr charge in my muzzleloader though the manufacturer lists it as a magnum that can handle 150gr charge.  A little common sense goes a long way.  The best advice I have ever received about muzzle loading is this, Muzzleloading is just like reloading and all of the safety rules apply.  Remember, you are putting together a bullet that is capable of killing things, done right it will be your target, done wrong, it will be the maker.  As for the speed loaders to carry pre set loads, they are great, but I would caution against carrying the primers IN the speed loader(this would be like carrying a loaded gun in your pocket).  You have enough gunpowder in that loader to shoot a 300gr bullet over 100 yards.  Can you imagine what that can do to your leg if the primer sets off the powder because you tripped and the loader hits something solid?  NEVER carry the primers and powder in the same container.  A primer going off makes a lot of noise and maybe a small burn, but 150gr of powder make a huge noise and a tremendous burn and a trip to the hospital that is very hard to explain.  The best way I have ever heard it put....Stupid Hurts.

Follow the safety rules that come with your muzzleloader, practice until you are confident with your rifle, then hit the woods and enjoy everything that the spirit of nature has to offer.

Now I'll put my soapbox away.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 06:46:15 PM by wolfie1 »
The Difference Between Democracy and Liberty:

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.___Ben Franklin

The nine most dangerous words in the english language..."I'm from the gov't and I want to help"

Offline Jaeger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
    • http://www.kassnerlaw.com/
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2009, 07:16:56 PM »
Paragraphs Wolfie 1 paragraphs!!!

Its hard to read your post when its a big blob.  Good job though!
NRA Life Member
NYS Lifetime Sportsman,
Trapping, Bowhunting and
Muzzleloading License Holder
NYS Tracking Dog License Holder

Offline wolfie1

• 4 Point
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2009, 07:20:41 PM »

Its hard to read your post when its a big blob.  Good job though!
Sorry about that.  When I get on my soap box, my fingers forget where the enter button is...lol  Will try to calm down before I post again --099-780   If you read it without taking a breath the same way I wrote it, it would be much easier.... @--0--0105
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 07:23:49 PM by wolfie1 »
The Difference Between Democracy and Liberty:

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.___Ben Franklin

The nine most dangerous words in the english language..."I'm from the gov't and I want to help"

Offline Jaeger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
    • http://www.kassnerlaw.com/
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2009, 07:38:48 PM »

Its hard to read your post when its a big blob.  Good job though!
Sorry about that.  When I get on my soap box, my fingers forget where the enter button is...lol  Will try to calm down before I post again --099-780   If you read it without taking a breath the same way I wrote it, it would be much easier.... @--0--0105

Brother, I read it, I understood it and I appreciate it.  Good post, keep them coming!! I'm a lawyer so I tend to get touchy when I proof read!  Occupational hazard!!!!!!!!!!
NRA Life Member
NYS Lifetime Sportsman,
Trapping, Bowhunting and
Muzzleloading License Holder
NYS Tracking Dog License Holder

Offline whitetail 1

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • live the outdoors
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2009, 08:50:26 AM »
I appreciate everyones comments today concerning Muzzleloaders since I am considering taking the plunge with the new extension on our season and allowing us to stay in the woods a little longer. I have thought about this for a while and now have the fever. After reading all of the feedback as a newbie, I have one question. Does the in-line system allow you to unload the weapon without firing it? I have a small lease (150 acres) and we hold the shooting to a minimum during season and have always wondered when you load one, how do you unload it when you get back to the house? Help please.
Team Captain "Southern Boy's"10-1Team Captain "Rack Em" "09-10" (9th. place finish)<br TTHA Member
TSRA Member
NRA Member
Pro-Staff Conquest Scent Sticks
Pilot's licences - private fixed wing
Commercial rating hot air balloons

Offline quigleysharps4570

• Spike
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2009, 10:37:52 AM »
Quickest way to unload one is with the CO2 discharger...you can get the adapters for flintlocks, caplocks or in-lines.
Use mine all the time on the flintlock...right handy.
Cains Outdoor is where I got mine.

Offline sdwolfden

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2009, 11:41:40 AM »
I appreciate everyones comments today concerning Muzzleloaders since I am considering taking the plunge with the new extension on our season and allowing us to stay in the woods a little longer. I have thought about this for a while and now have the fever. After reading all of the feedback as a newbie, I have one question. Does the in-line system allow you to unload the weapon without firing it? I have a small lease (150 acres) and we hold the shooting to a minimum during season and have always wondered when you load one, how do you unload it when you get back to the house? Help please.
Our CVA Wolf Muzzleloders have the breech that can be removed.  If we haven't shot, we open the breech, use the ramrod and push the load out.  It is so much easier than firing to get the load out nd you don't have to clean the muzzleloader when you empty it this way.
Ethical hunting isn't just about perfect shot placement.  It's also the knowledge that you are an ethical hunter and a true sportsman.  Enjoy the hunt and the experience, whether you shoot something or not.   Live every day as if it's your last.
There's a reason it's called hunting, not shopping

Offline whitetail 1

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • live the outdoors
Newbies
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2009, 03:54:18 PM »
If you were to pick a brand a caliber to start out with, what would your suggestion be??
Team Captain "Southern Boy's"10-1Team Captain "Rack Em" "09-10" (9th. place finish)<br TTHA Member
TSRA Member
NRA Member
Pro-Staff Conquest Scent Sticks
Pilot's licences - private fixed wing
Commercial rating hot air balloons

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • one cold day
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2009, 04:04:15 PM »

I bought a little accesory in thekit it is like a screw that fits on the end of ur rod that the jag goes on.....I put it down the barrel screw it in a little of the bullet and pull it out...then sometimes you do it with the plastic (if ur bullet has one) and pull that up the barrel to...simple and if udont screw it in too far u should save everythingI have re-used one several times....I use pellets they just fall out when the wad and bullet is gone...as I said u can re-use it anything going down that rifled barrel will straighten out  ;D
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline sdwolfden

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2009, 05:48:06 PM »
If you were to pick a brand a caliber to start out with, what would your suggestion be??
I chose the CVA Wolf .50 caliber.  An inexpensive way to see if you like muzzleloading.  I bought the kit and it comes with everything except, primers, pellets(powder and bore cleaner.  Plus it has a DVD to instruct you.  Very helpful. -0078
Ethical hunting isn't just about perfect shot placement.  It's also the knowledge that you are an ethical hunter and a true sportsman.  Enjoy the hunt and the experience, whether you shoot something or not.   Live every day as if it's your last.
There's a reason it's called hunting, not shopping

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2009, 08:22:50 PM »
50 caliber bullets and powder pellets are available almost everywhere. You get into the 45 caliber and you might be some where you can't find bullets. Something to consider.

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2009, 07:52:38 AM »
Start with 50 cal , as far as brand get the best that you can afford in the lower end rifles that have a sealed breach .
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2009, 02:54:02 PM »
1 buy  remington Genesis 50 cal
2 777 pellets