New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: New Antler Restrictions in some counties..  (Read 855 times)

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
New Antler Restrictions in some counties..
« on: September 14, 2009, 10:13:32 AM »
This year, TPWD expanded the number of counties in Texas that have a 13" or greater inside spread restriction. Both the counties I hunt are now included and I think it's a good thing. I don't take small bucks anyway, and these restrictions will allow some of the younger bucks a chance to grow. The new restrictions allow for one buck, 13" or greater inside, and one spike, per county. I talked to Tx. Parks & Wildlife, and they told me that this was implemented because 60-70% of bucks being taken in Texas were 2.5 or younger. Too many people were going out and "filling tags" by shooting the first buck that walked out, no matter the size. I do, however, think that some "spikes" will be taken too soon, and without seeing what they could be in another year or two. We now know that "Once a spike, always a spike" just isn't true. I hope they expand these restriction to more counties. I'm picturing what most of the bucks in Texas will look like in 3 or 4 years.
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
Re: New Antler Restrictions in some counties..
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 10:20:20 AM »
Sounds like a good plan to me. If you need mesat shot does that what I say let them little big boys walk. Texas is doing what need done in some other parts of the country good for them.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline PensacolaEd

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 10:54:39 AM »
I wish they'd get some antler restrictions here in Florida. See lots of 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 year old bucks that show some potential, but they rarely survive the season.

Ed

Offline SCHunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 10:59:26 AM »
that sound great.your right in two or three years there will be some big-old-good-one there.
wish SC.would put some restrictions on down here.most people around here shoot by the old saying if its brown its down.glad our club has the out-side the ears rule. @--0--0101 with your season..
take your kids hunting.and you wont have to hunt for them.

Offline cowmanhunter

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 10:59:33 AM »
Glad to here the use of good game management.
CMH
32 years hunting experiece and learning daily.
If Your Gonna Be Stupid You Gotta Be Tough.
If you find yourself in a hole, The first thing you do is stop digging.
Phill. 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice!

Offline mac0823

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • My little piece of heaven
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 11:04:14 AM »
I'd like to see Virginia do something like this as well - expecially on public land.

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 11:30:36 AM »
It should pay off in years to come. If they get the word out. Some will still be taken the first year and they will say, @--0--0117 I didn't know that.

Offline whitetail 1

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • live the outdoors
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 03:26:38 PM »
I have been hunting the Antler Restriction now for five years in Austin County and can attest for some real quality deer coming off of it in the 3+ year range. My son to the "07" TPW Big Buck award for all of Austin County with a 156 gross dark horn I have attached. I took some nice photo's posted to the Still site if you want to look and as you can tell...I am a believer.

Have a good season!
Team Captain "Southern Boy's"10-1Team Captain "Rack Em" "09-10" (9th. place finish)<br TTHA Member
TSRA Member
NRA Member
Pro-Staff Conquest Scent Sticks
Pilot's licences - private fixed wing
Commercial rating hot air balloons

Offline jbar

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 06:44:35 PM »
This season Miss. changed their restrictions. It was 4 pts. or better. This year they changed it to 12 in. inside spread or at least one main beam that is 13 in. or longer. I like these restrictions a lot better. But like always it can only work if hunters follow the rules.
A BAD DAY HUNTING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK
STARTED HUNTING IN 1962
47 YRS AND STILL COUNTING

Offline ddejong

• Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 06:49:21 PM »
Missouri has phased in antler restrictions over the recent years and I am all for it.  So far it is too early to see any results, but we will.

New Page 3

Google Ad