New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Dad's first gun  (Read 951 times)

Offline Jaeger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
    • http://www.kassnerlaw.com/
Dad's first gun
« on: September 11, 2009, 12:10:47 PM »
This is more a safety question than a gun question.  I'll be taking Dad hunting soon (under his new Lifetime license I got him for his birthday) and am wondering which would be better for him, the 'ole 870 Wingmaster with one shell in the magazine, not in the chamber or a Win' side by side with one shell in one of the barrels?

I'm not dealing with a child so I have to be sensitive to not treating him as such, but he is a beginner in field gun handling.
He is right handed, so I'll keep him on my left side as we walk.

Any advice?
NRA Life Member
NYS Lifetime Sportsman,
Trapping, Bowhunting and
Muzzleloading License Holder
NYS Tracking Dog License Holder

TalkHunting Community

Dad's first gun
« on: September 11, 2009, 12:10:47 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline sdwolfden

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
Re: Dad's first gun
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 12:19:36 PM »
My suggestion would be to take him out to practice shooting, and see what works as to which gun and if he should have a shell in the barrel, or in the magazine.  Get him used to walking with the guns and shooting with them so he'll be more confident when you are out hunting.  Glad you're getting him out hunting.  Watch, we will have another addicted hunter out there.  Get him to join TH too.  I'd love to hear how this all works out.
Ethical hunting isn't just about perfect shot placement.  It's also the knowledge that you are an ethical hunter and a true sportsman.  Enjoy the hunt and the experience, whether you shoot something or not.   Live every day as if it's your last.
There's a reason it's called hunting, not shopping

Offline mac0823

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • My little piece of heaven
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 12:19:53 PM »
How neat - what a way to bond with your Dad.  Don't know how old your Dad is, but mine is up there and if this was me, I'd consider the agility in his hands (coordination).  Does the side by side have one or two triggers?  Will switching barrels be easy for him?  I'd also consider the weight of each gun - you don't want to be carrying both guns by day end.

Hope this helps and hope you have a great day with Dad.

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 12:49:11 PM »
Great for you Jaeger. I hope you have a Great Time. Like sdwolfden stated,why not make it a couple days adventure using the first two days at the range or shooting somewhere. Then you will know exactly what to do.

Offline cowmanhunter

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 01:15:53 PM »
Cant add anything not being said already practice first, then see which he handles and likes better, I would thi nk the wingmaster would be lighter but I dont know which side by side we are talking about, weight is always an issue with first time gun handlers.
CMH
32 years hunting experiece and learning daily.
If Your Gonna Be Stupid You Gotta Be Tough.
If you find yourself in a hole, The first thing you do is stop digging.
Phill. 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice!

Offline BBAcres

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
  • Jeremiah 16:16
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 07:49:16 PM »
My father worked away so I grew up in my Grandfather's shadow. He always took me fishing in the Cacapon River and hunting in the fall. I can see him now carrying the Fox double-barrel.The barrels were  polished to a stainless-look by the countless number of green briar thrusts. Many rabbits were driven away by that gun only to find themselves facing the same after a beagle-forced circle. Yes, the gun was on the heavier side but my Grandfather used it till he could not hunt anymore. It was his favorite!!

Online DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 08:03:16 PM »
Jaeger, use the pump its always been a good one to use , when I do you concentrate more than with a semi because you know you need to pump it for another shot......he'll do good with whatever you decide but deer hunting it gives  him more shots than the side by side with one shell...my son learned on a pump  @--0--0101 to ur dad this year @--0--0118
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline shaun

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 08:05:45 PM »
it hard talking to parrents @--0--0101